Best Distance to Zero a 416 Rigby

I took my only big bore a 416 Rigby to the range over the weekend. I fired 2 shots at 25 yds. to make sure the shots were at least on paper. They were almost touching so I decided to move the target out a bit. Since this is the first time I've ever fired a DG caliber I didn't have a clue as to what distance it should be zeroed at. Hence the question. What is the optimal / recommended distance at which s DG caliber rifle should be zeroed?

Good rule of thumb is to have the bullet print 2 and 3/4 inches high at hundred yards
Bullets reach maximum height at approximately 55% of the line of trajectory. Depends where you want the zero but somewhere between 2.5 and 3 inches high should do the trick.

I always zero my .416 with a 400 gr bullet at 25 meters/yards that puts me back on zero at about 150 meets/170 yards. This worked well for me for a number of years. But it all depends what you want to use it for and what works best for you.
My other DGR a 450 Rigby is also sighted dead on for 25 meters with 550 gr projectile.
I like to get as close as I can just to be sure, but then I don't have a PH backing me up.
Best of luck...

I do the same. Dead on at 25 yards meets the dangerous game criteria, dead on again at 175 yards is nice too

I'm not a PH, but experiences with them tell me that they will dictate what range they want you to shoot at. My humble suggestion would be talk to your intended PH and they will likely have a strong opinion. On a DG hunt you and your PH are a Team, in a effort to build that re pore talk to him. Hes a wealth of historical information on what range you are likely going to encounter game on his concession at. Just my 2¢
Have a great hunt!
cheers
Pat

Well why not QR rings 350gr zeroed at 200, Irons dead on at 50 400gr???

A very very old south african PH who used to hunt Kalahari lion alone on foot, told me to regulate your sites for 75 and 5 metres. Thats where you'll be shooting the most.

A very very old south african PH who used to hunt Kalahari lion alone on foot, told me to regulate your sites for 75 and 5 metres. Thats where you'll be shooting the most.

I'll keep that in mind for Lion hunting. Good advice.

I don't have a 416 but my preference with a 404 is to have the open sights set for a 450 gr bullet at 1000 inches (27.7 yards). the trajectory never goes more than two inches high and is within a 3" drop to beyond 100 yards. this load is for when things are up close and personal. The quick detachable scope is for 350 gr bullets and has the conventional trajectory of high point 3", which occurs at about 100 yards and 3" low a little past 200 yards. I'd guess similar sighting would be obtainable with the 416.

to have the open sights set for ....... at 1000 inches (27.7 yards). ............

Wasn't that the distance to sight a Machine gun? (ie 2nd world war)

Sight a machine gun? Wowza. I've always just walked in a 5-7 round burst and destroyed the targets like a champ

well,
since everyone else has had a go, here is mine. for buffalo, (or brown bear) zero for 150. out to 200, no worries. you should not be shooting beyond 200 yards at dangerous game and i would suggest a LOT closer.

a running commentary i use with bear hunting clients: i hold up a magazine, "can you hit that at 100 yards?", they always say yes. " can you hit that at 200 yards?" they think for a couple seconds but always say yes, then i pin it to my chest and turn, and spin and run in a direction for 5 yards and turn and ask them, "could you hit that magazine at 200 yards?"

i smile at them, and they usually do not even answer that one. THEN they get it. i tell them, closer is better and more of everything good for you and bad for the bear.

I was close enough on my brown bear that I could see the entrance would spurt blood before the recoil of my 375 H&H changed the sight picture. That was exciting, about 13 yards. I know a lot of you have been closer on more dangerous game but that was a thrill for me.

Wasn't that the distance to sight a Machine gun? (ie 2nd world war)

I first learned of sighting on the 1000 inch range with an M1 Garand. It had a sight above bore distance of about an inch. With the changeover to the M16 and its sight above bore of about 3 inches, the 1000 inch range fell into disuse.

I first learned of sighting on the 1000 inch range with an M1 Garand. It had a sight above bore distance of about an inch. With the changeover to the M16 and its sight above bore of about 3 inches, the 1000 inch range fell into disuse.
We still zero at 25 m. When using iron we'll adjust the rear sight's elevation slightly, then set it back for actual range firing. Probably the same premise, without the same vernacular.

The rifle is a Ruger No. 1 with a low power variable Nikon scope. I will be using 400 Gr. bullets. The most probable quarry would be Cape Buffalo. I have no intentions or thoughts of using it for any other type of game.

I like the idea of a cape buffalo hunt.

50 yards. This is a dangerous game gun, so you should be that close or closer. And if you're dead on at 50, you will be near enough at 100 that you won't have to adjust at all.

If you're taking long shots with your .416, I'd think it was time to get another rifle!

I would beg to differ. A 416 Rigby is an easy 300mt + cartridge. This is what makes it a great all rounder.

I have mine sighted to zero at 200mts, however if I am going after large game, scrub bulls to Ele I re zero at 50mts and check at 15 and 30 mts.

I would beg to differ. A 416 Rigby is an easy 300mt + cartridge. This is what makes it a great all rounder.

I have mine sighted to zero at 200mts, however if I am going after large game, scrub bulls to Ele I re zero at 50mts and check at 15 and 30 mts.
To each their own, but I would never describe a .416 Rigby as a 'great all rounder' for whole host of reasons including, in no particular order:

First, the recoil is more than most people, including me, would like to have in a great all rounder.

Secondly, while it can certainly be used at longer distances than it usually is, you better know your distance and drop, because it has never been know as a flat shooting caliber.

Thirdly, if you want to practice with it, as you should, especially with an all rounder, you just might bankrupt yourself. Here in Canada, a box of .416 Rigby can be $200, while a box of .300 Win Mag will run between $35 and $65 depending on the brand.

Fourthly, I wouldn't want to hunt the animals usually hunted with a .416 at any distance even approaching 100 yards, let alone more, and most PH's I know wouldn't let you shoot a buffalo, let alone an elephant, at those distances. Besides, you'd lose out on the fun of approaching these animals up close.

But as I say, to each their own!

To each their own, but I would never describe a .416 Rigby as a 'great all rounder' for whole host of reasons including, in no particular order:

First, the recoil is more than most people, including me, would like to have in a great all rounder.

Secondly, while it can certainly be used at longer distances than it usually is, you better know your distance and drop, because it has never been know as a flat shooting caliber.

Thirdly, if you want to practice with it, as you should, especially with an all rounder, you just might bankrupt yourself. Here in Canada, a box of .416 Rigby can be $200, while a box of .300 Win Mag will run between $35 and $65 depending on the brand.

Fourthly, I wouldn't want to hunt the animals usually hunted with a .416 at any distance even approaching 100 yards, let alone more, and most PH's I know wouldn't let you shoot a buffalo, let alone an elephant, at those distances. Besides, you'd lose out on the fun of approaching these animals up close.

But as I say, to each their own!

While I acknowledge what you say and agree with some.

The 416 Rigby is reasonably flat shooting, flat enough for 300mts, more so with 340 grain bullets.

While there are owners of 416 Rigby's that do not reload all I know do, so cost is way lower.

Te 375H&H is often described as an all rounder and shoots flat as a 30-06, the 416 is similar but as you say with more recoil.

You must of over looked the part where I said "I have mine sighted to zero at 200mts, however if I am going after large game, scrub bulls to Ele I re zero at 50mts and check at 15 and 30 mts." I would think any PH would be happy with that. I know mine was when I went after Cape Buff and Ele.

So if you are going after DG and Plains game you only need the one rifle if you have a 416Rigby. It is with this in mind that I say it is an all rounder. Yes I do use mine on pigs, great way to stay familiar with it.(y)

According to Pirre vander walts book African dangerous cartrages the green band on that rifle is up to 75m using a 400gr point. http://www.chuckhawks.com/african_dangerous_game_cartridges_review.htm

As my as my client rifle and second back up I have a 416 rem mag running Peregrine monolithics at 2350fps and it has worked time and again zeroed at 75m works like a dream.
This would be used on a DG hunt and plains game inside 200m as the scope is a 1.5-4X25.

Once you know how the rifle shoot i am sure you could shoot it comfortable all the way out to 300m ( good glass will help)

Shot Shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.