Any Other Interests???

:E Big Grin:...sorry still horrible stuff....and these days there most are 5% ....but a few are 4%....Heineken years ago when brewed independently was only 3.4% from memory but that was as I said years ago...when the uk brewing company was bought the new lot scrapped that version and brought out the standard 5% version...and as for carlsberg special brew no wonder it was the alcoholics favourite.....:X3::E Rofl:
The UK mass market is still very much 4%ABV. Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg, Coors Light are the top 4 brands by volume (in that order), at 3.8%, 4%, 3.8%, 4%ABV respectively.

UK Stella Artois is at 4.6%ABV and is still a terrible beer.

@CJW love the picture of the double Mustang and the Sandy, they are all beautiful.

Reactions: CJW
Art, 18th & 19th Century militaria, great books, and great wine. I am a bit of a Francophile and our French Empire porcelain collection is special. I love to travel, and I have a lot of the planet yet to go. When not indulging those passions, I spend a lot of time working on our little piece of Texas and the FJ40 (I now have power steering!)

View attachment 396733

View attachment 396734

Cuirassier Armor and sabers
Stunning!

The UK mass market is still very much 4%ABV. Carling, Fosters, Carlsberg, Coors Light are the top 4 brands by volume (in that order), at 3.8%, 4%, 3.8%, 4%ABV respectively.

The Belgian import Stella is pretty darn good here in the States.

Coors and Miller - and for Christ's sake, from a Brit no less! Still struggling with this. I think I just threw up in the back of my throat again. :sick:

Sam Adams is another pretty good mass produced lager in this country. Apparently, it would make a Brit weak-kneed on a Friday night as well?

I am a nerd and read a ton. I also write.
I really like traveling, even if not for hunting. Have been to 49 countries. Mostly shoestring budget backpacking overland trips. (Nairobi to Cape Town, Abidjan to Lagos, Panama to El Salvador, Entebbe-Kigali-DRC-Burundi-Kenya, London to Athens, etc.) My wife grew up in Europe and also loves to travel. We actually met at the airport in Nairobi, so travel has been good to me.
The last two years I have played in an adult ice hockey league my buddy talked me into. I played as a kid and teen but put it away after high school, so that has been good fun and exercise. Get to get some aggression out in a legal way as well...and now I have a 3-year-old who lives and breathes hockey so my focus will shift to getting him going.
I play guitar for fun. No real gigs since college but enjoy playing.
Awesome, cool story!

Other than a hunter, I am a petrolhead. I enjoy just about any type of enthused driving - single-seaters, endurance, sprint, karting (the 100mph type, not the children’s toys) and mountain roads. Few times a year, my friends and I get some cars together and spend time driving hundreds of kilometres each day, enjoying the twisty roads.

View attachment 396894
View attachment 396895
View attachment 396896
View attachment 396897

Speaking of mountains, I do like mountains. I like them for their rugged beauty, for their winding roads, the hiking trails, and the skiing.

View attachment 396898
View attachment 396899
View attachment 396900
View attachment 396901
View attachment 396902
View attachment 396903
View attachment 396904
I am a passionate sailor and master mariner. I’ve had the incredible opportunity of seeing both the aurora borealis and australis from the yacht’s deck. I’ve visited places that are virtually inaccessible in any other way. I’ve sailed across the Atlantic and around South America. I’ve sailed in the tropics and subpolar regions. I’ve seen the sea at her kindest, and I’ve seen her fury and having seen I agree that “If you would know the age of the earth, look upon the sea in a storm. The greyness of the whole immense surface, the wind furrows upon the faces of the waves, the great masses of foam, tossed about and waving, like matted white locks, give to the sea in a gale an appearance of hoary age, lustreless, dull, without gleams, as though it had been created before light itself.”

View attachment 396905
View attachment 396906

Speaking of sailing I enjoy ice sailing too, a fantastic sport.

View attachment 396907

Spearfishing and freediving are another great pass time.

View attachment 396908

And something I’ve been spending less time on lately but used to enjoy a lot and will no doubt be doing more of again is photography, mostly landscape, some wildlife too.

View attachment 396909
View attachment 396910
View attachment 396911
View attachment 396912
View attachment 396913
View attachment 396914
View attachment 396915
View attachment 396916
View attachment 396917
View attachment 396918
View attachment 396919
View attachment 396920
View attachment 396921
View attachment 396923
View attachment 396922
View attachment 396924
View attachment 396925

And at the end of the day, a relaxing drink with the locals is always a pleasant way to wind down.

View attachment 396926
Phenomenal!

Coors and Miller - and for Christ's sake, from a Brit no less! Still struggling with this. I think I just threw up in the back of my throat again. :sick:

Sam Adams is another pretty good mass produced lager in this country. Apparently, it would make a Brit weak-kneed on a Friday night as well?
We also get the imported one here

Don't knock Coors and Miller. I'm not a fan of Coors Light or Miller Lite personally, but the full fat versions, Banquet especially, are an extremely good 'American style' lager.

Personally I tend towards the craft stuff, belgian abbey styles, German dark lagers, or british ales, but there's a time and a place for something cold and refreshing without massives of alcohol, and Banquet meets that need for me! Just try day drinking on Belgian Trippel or a 9% DIPA. You'd be done and having a kip by lunchtime! Even traditional Pilsner gets a bit hard work after 5 or 6.

Sam Adams is pretty good. We have that in the UK too as an export lager. Us Brits are actually pretty good at alcohol, the mass market just seems to lean more quantity and value than straight ABV. Not that it matters if you're gonna burn through 15 pints of a friday evening.

Don't knock Coors and Miller. I'm not a fan of Coors Light or Miller Lite personally, but the full fat versions, Banquet especially, are an extremely good 'American style' lager.

Personally I tend towards the craft stuff, belgian abbey styles, German dark lagers, or british ales, but there's a time and a place for something cold and refreshing without massives of alcohol, and Banquet meets that need for me! Just try day drinking on Belgian Trippel or a 9% DIPA. You'd be done and having a kip by lunchtime! Even traditional Pilsner gets a bit hard work after 5 or 6.

Sam Adams is pretty good. We have that in the UK too as an export lager. Us Brits are actually pretty good at alcohol, the mass market just seems to lean more quantity and value than straight ABV. Not that it matters if you're gonna burn through 15 pints of a friday evening.

:E Hmmm:....only 15....:eek::E Shrug::E Big Grin::D Beers:

Always fun to see what other folks have as a past time. This is the only place I go that has a good number of folks from different countries so that makes it all the more interesting.

My family had lodge/guide business for a number of years. That included fishing, flying small aircraft, and boating. Once we got out it took a long time to want to have much to do with any of those things. Never turn a hobby into a job. Hahaha. Anyway, now back to enjoying them. But normally it all gravitates back to the gun shop/reloading room for me. I enjoy building a good bolt action rifle about as much as anything I can think of. Probably more so than using them.

Though we don't have much say .. depending on the vessel at the meet, I often ask the lockmaster to hold us for the "Arthur M Anderson". Edmund Fitzgerald's sister ship.
arthur m anderson.jpg

Ah, a fan of Belgian beers. Have you tried the West Vleteren (10.2%) already? :) You might need to come over to Belgium to try it though, its not exported I believe.

For me, the beer I consume the most, is indeed also something lighter. A Belgian lager, which is (very surprisingly, as it is probably the best lager with a 52% market share in the beer mekka of the world) quite unknown in other countries: Jupiler (5.2%)

Last I knew Westvleteren is not exported but there is a secondary market that the monks are not happy about. I've gotten to try it twice and it is tasty.

St. Bernardus Abt 12 is much easier to find here in the states and also quite tasty in my opinion.

Orval is out of this world!

Ah, a fan of Belgian beers. Have you tried the West Vleteren (10.2%) already? :) You might need to come over to Belgium to try it though, its not exported I believe.

For me, the beer I consume the most, is indeed also something lighter. A Belgian lager, which is (very surprisingly, as it is probably the best lager with a 52% market share in the beer mekka of the world) quite unknown in other countries: Jupiler (5.2%)
I don't think I've tried that one, no. What style?

I've tried most of the common brands though, so Orval, Le Chouffe, Westmalle, St Bernadus, Rochefort, Chimay, Bosteels etc. We used to distribute Rochefort and La Trappe for the UK at one point, so I got a couple slabs of that free on my product allowance. The La Trappe Quad especially goes down well.

Jupiler I've tried a couple places. It's good stuff, if a bit 'basic pilsner'. I think my prefrence for light Belgian beers is Palm. It's not strictly lager, but fits the bill.

If I was going for Pilsner,you can't beat Germany or CZ. I'd choose Veltins, Warsteiner, Pilsner Urquell, Radeberger or Waldhaus.

I like Helles or Dunkel better than Pilsner though.

...studied in Weihenstephan and have some experience in drinking Bavarian beer!

:cool:

HWL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross