Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
ALERT: ALERT: Limpopo, Botswana on high alert as both issue Malaria warning
2017-03-20 10:45 - Selene Brophy

f9f19c43e8d049a68c3e5fb75acd4ee6.jpg

Cape Town - Travellers heading to Botswana or those who find themselves in Limpopo need to ensure they take the correct preventative measures as a warning has been issued for high levels of malaria in both of these regions.

The Ministry of Health and Wellness for Botswana has issued a warning that the country is experiencing a high levels of malaria, following the recent heavy rains.

"There have been increases in the number of cases in Okavango, Ngami, Chobe, Boteti, Tutume and Bobirwa. Travel agents are advised to warn their clients to seek medical advice two weeks before travelling to malarial areas."

The Limpopo Health Department has also announced an increase in the number or reported malaria cases in the province, particularly around Lephalale and Thabazimbi.

'Not an outbreak, however in uncommon malaria area'

News24 reports the Limpopo health department on Tuesday 14 March confirmed at least 46 cases of malaria had been reported in the western Waterberg district around Lephalale and Thabazimbi. The department's spokesperson Thabiso Teffo stated no fatalities had been reported.

“It is an area that does not normally have malaria mosquitoes. We also worried that 70% of the cases reported were people who had not travelled. It means they had contracted malaria in the area they stay.” Teffo said the department started spraying insecticide and informed residents and doctors.

However it is important to note that the department says it is "not an outbreak. It’s malaria season". The concern is that the cases are uncommon because it’s an area where we don’t expect malaria.

http://traveller24.news24.com/News/Alerts/alert-limpopo-on-high-alert-as-botswana-issues-malaria-warning-20170320

Attachments

• f9f19c43e8d049a68c3e5fb75acd4ee6.jpg
    f9f19c43e8d049a68c3e5fb75acd4ee6.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:
pack the doxy ... lads

High alert until when? Like June 1.... or like forever?

High alert until when? Like June 1.... or like forever?

Right now they are experiencing a higher than normal transmission rate. That rain likely helped!
Just a little strange the folks in the "western Waterberg" were getting it, as "It is an area that does not normally have malaria mosquitoes"

Plenty of hunting in the area.

As it dries out, I would guess that the little pests will be reduced. Until then, heads up!

I am Going in June so guess I will take the Malarone.

I'm going to Zim in June and will take Lariam. It probably won't be so bad by then but I won't take a chance there.
Philip

I'm going to Zim in June and will take Lariam. It probably won't be so bad by then but I won't take a chance there.
Philip

Yep it's not worth taking the chance.

I have been looking at some recent photos of the countryside in Zim and it is GREEN and there is plenty of standing water at the moment.
Who knows what the hot African sun will do by the time you get there.

New member.
I've been reading a lot of the messages on this site for almost 2 months.
Glade I found it. I'm leaving for SA in June 2017 for plains game hunt.
My first trip to South Africa.
Regards to malaria, my doctor gave me doxycycline for malaria.
What are the differences between (and which is recommended for SA):
Doxycycline, Malarone, Mefliam, and Lariam?

I'm hunting with EAI Outdoors, not sure which province(s) I`ll be hunting.

It has rained profusely in Botswana since December....I always use Malarone in Africa, no side effects and never ill..

Thanks for the info Pondoro.
My last use for malaria tabs was quinine in south america back in the late 80's.
My doc told me quinine wasn`t used any more and sent me to the phamacy with a prescription for doxycycline.
Neither one of us knew which type of malaria tabs recommended for SA.

Reactions: lcq
Philip
I would think it over to take Lariam.
Malarone has a much better reputation.Take a generica,it costs almost the half and the active substance is the same.
My doctor,specialized in tropical diseases,said to me ,that I get mitigating circumstances,so I would stay for a judge,when I ve taken Lariam.
With Malarone not :(

Limpopo.JPG
Not to belive,that this dustway is more than full now.
Limpopo river last October
Foxi

Last edited:
Due to the heavy rains a couple of weeks ago, also had malaria in Pretoria (with some fatalities). One of my workers at the farm was infected (plasmodium falciparum). At this moment, everything is under control. No more new cases of malaria.

Thank you for the heads-up!

I'm hunting with EAI Outdoors, not sure which province(s) I`ll be hunting.

@Ridge Runner , If you are hunting plains game with EAI Outdoors, you will be hunting the Eastern Cape province. No malaria in the Eastern Cape, so zero to worry about. If anything, be up to date on your tetanus shot. Good luck with your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

@Ridge Runner , If you are hunting plains game with EAI Outdoors, you will be hunting the Eastern Cape province. No malaria in the Eastern Cape, so zero to worry about. If anything, be up to date on your tetanus shot. Good luck with your trip.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Geography matters.

What are the differences between (and which is recommended for SA):
Doxycycline, Malarone, Mefliam, and Lariam?

That is a job for the Compendium of Pharmaceutical Specialties. CPS.

Reactions: lcq
Guys, just an FYI about malarone that is important to know. It has a harmful interaction with Allopurinol for you gout sufferers. The side effect is violent increase in sunburn! Not a little, a crap-lot of sunburn. So keep that in mind and pace your taking of gout meds and malaria meds 12 hours apart to reduce interaction on your hunts.

Sincerely, your typical 40something fat guy that eats read meat and gets gout.

P.S. - Does anyone know if I need malaria meds this year for Tuli Circle Zimbabwe / Tuli Block Botswana? All maps have said no, no malaria here, previously. That being said, its very close to the Limpopo and Shashe rivers.

Sunburn was never a problem when I ve taken Malarone.Never.
In May -hunting Save River Zimbabwe- I had horrible dreams,I think it was comming from Malarone.
My doctor said, all Malaria pills are going on your psyche.But Lariam- so often- very strong.
And gout,I have not-yet :whistle:
Later in October ,I was in Tuli.
No Malaria there at this time.
It s a semi-desert.So dry,that buffalos cant live there.
It depends at the rainfalls.
When you have water arround ,take the pills.
In which month do you want to go there ?
Foxi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois