ALERT: Limpopo, Botswana on high alert as both issue Malaria warning

IMG_4641.JPG
I just returned today from the Limpopo with Warthog Safaris--great hunt (report to come later)-20km from Botswana-didn't see the first mosquito, though the veld was as green as I have seen it in three trips. Sprayed my shoes and socks and gaiters before I left, wore shorts every day but one--no ticks. I removed two from my wife-one arm and one leg--she wouldn't spray her shoes...just a primer from the hunt...

Last edited by a moderator:
What they call cold is what the American kids call shorts and t-shirts weather.

This is so true. I walked out in zim wearing shorts and shirt sleeves shorts. The crew was wearing three layers of clothes. The tracker had an old sweatshirt wrapped around his head.

Low 40's in the morning and mid to upper 60's.

that was a mis-type--low 40's to mid upper 70's

Having had malaria twice, do your self a favor, don't get it! I went from 230 to 170lbs in about a week (but their was a touch of other bugs in there too) . Please remember that all Malaria medication is a prophylaxis and not 100% defective. I contracted the disease twice while taking anti malarial meds. And it stays with you for life.
Be aware of the unpleasant physiological affects of some anti malaria meds. ( freaky Fridays , or weird Wednesdays as we used to call them depending which day you take your meds) I would test your medication before leaving for your hunt to ensure no adverse reactions.

just my 2¢

Regards
Pat

Good advice Pat!

I don't remember which drug I took in 1990 when I hunted the Okavango but I guess it worked as the skeeters were absolutely fierce and I got bit horribly around the ankles and could hardly sleep a couple nights for the itching, but no malaria. That was really the only trip where they were a problem. It was June-July if I recall.

Not all mozzies carry the parasite , and most of the time the prophylaxis will keep you healthy. But not always, and there are rare cases of infection many many months (even years) after initial exposure. Its why I am never allowed to donate blood again, they wont take the risk of transmission to the recipient. Anyways I babble, Just do what you can to not get it. The first symptoms for me both times was a migraine, which I have never had before. About 12hrs before the rest of the parade , sweats, chills, vomiting, and diarrhea all uncontrollable. Make your worst hangover seem like a cocktail hour . The treatment is worse.

It wont likely kill you in the modern world , but you'll wish it had during the dance.

Regards
Pat

I am Zambian born so grew up getting Malaria just about every year.Yes it is your worst night mare.

Sent from my SM-G900F using AfricaHunting mobile app

just wanted to check with you guys before i leave. im traveling out to a few european coontries in a week. by july 19 i will be hunting the limpopo river both in the day and at night. are the mosquitoes gone?

i will also be going to almost every other part of south africa as well including cape town and wanted to make sure all areas are clear. i figure its mid winter so i should be good nut i wanted to check and make sure before i leave.

that was a mis-type--low 40's to mid upper 70's

No frost yet to kill the little beggars then.

The forecast for Polokwane. Temps are dropping at night.

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 7.24.29 AM.png

Last edited:
Ridge Runner,
Leave the long johns home, flannel shirts, wool socks, sewing kit, maids will mend anything torn, buttons etc. You may be paying for excessive baggage..
Don't forget to call your cc company and inform them you will use your card in Africa and approx. amount, a must.
Take chap stick, sun lotion, I did not see diary for daily entries.
Most of all, enjoy the hell out of your trip!!

I'll be heading back for hunt #10 in August to East Cape with KMG Safaris.

I wish you luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kalaharikind

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!