Addo buffalo?

Peter Larsson

AH enthusiast
Joined
Oct 10, 2014
Messages
398
Reaction score
870
Location
Sweden
Media
240
Member of
Nordisk safari klubb,Riksjägarna,Svenska Jagareförbundet.
Hunted
South Afrika,Tunisia,Russia,Latvia, Estonia,Sweden,Namibia.
Saw a picture in the book Game animals of the world of a typical Addo buffalo.
I guess it was that model of horns on the buffs we shot in South Africa this year.
Would be nice to get some info on Addo buffalo. Some one who have some short info?
Normal trophy sice etc.etc.
Have tried to get some info on the net but haven't found much.
I understand they don't have the deep curls of the east African type.
This is the one that I shot:
DSC_0092.JPG

Not much spread but a decent boss I guess.
What is a normal width of a boss? Addo and east African?
 
Last edited:
Nothing wrong with this buff
 
Wow! Looks like a fine buffalo to me!
What did you take it with?
 
Brno 602 in 375HH and Barnes 270gr TSX.
Worked good. Was dead in about 2-3 sec.
 
Great mass, nice cape buffalo!
 
Brno 602 in 375HH and Barnes 270gr TSX.
Worked good. Was dead in about 2-3 sec.
If you have the bullet, how about adding a picture of it to the “bullet performance” list?
And it sounds like you made an excellent shot, the bullet performed well and you got a fine trophy!
 
Yes very nice buff.
 
If you have the bullet, how about adding a picture of it to the “bullet performance” list?
And it sounds like you made an excellent shot, the bullet performed well and you got a fine trophy!
I think I have done that,but I can doe it here as well:
DSC_0004_2.JPG

The one to the right was the first shot. The other was a follow upp low in the but when he kicked his back leg like a rodeo bull. Hit the backbone and passed the hole lenght
of the buff and was found under the skin in the front.
 
If you have the bullet, how about adding a picture of it to the “bullet performance” list?
And it sounds like you made an excellent shot, the bullet performed well and you got a fine trophy!
Exellent shot I don't know,I only had 6 meters! You can se where I hit it on the pic. Broke the opposite sholder.
DSC00741.JPG
 
Very good buff !
 
Yikes! 6 meters! How exciting that must have been!
Yes now I remember seeing your bullets and how interesting when one opened perfect and the other didn’t.
 
I think the second bullet hit the bone before it had time to expand and got deformed.
Think they need some soft tissue to start to expand. But I am no expert.
 
I think the second bullet hit the bone before it had time to expand and got deformed.
Think they need some soft tissue to start to expand. But I am no expert.
Almost every bullet of any type seems to deform similarly if it doesn’t expand enough before a glancing bone strike that I’ve seen. Especially the tougher premium bullets such as monolithic, A-frame, bonded, TBBC, etc.
The softer traditional bullets expand sooner and seem to splatter when striking bone. JMObservation
 
That's a really nice Buff, and a great advertisement for Barnes
BTW, note that a failure to expand as a result of hitting bone early is fairly common with hollow point monolithics like Barnes TSX . The reason is that the tip tends to deform on hitting bone, closing the hollow. The solution is to use bullets which have a plastic tip (eg TTSX) or a plunger (eg Peregrine bushmaster) ; alternatively a bonded bullet.
 
Last edited:
Saw a picture in the book Game animals of the world of a typical Addo buffalo.
I guess it was that model of horns on the buffs we shot in South Africa this year.
Would be nice to get some info on Addo buffalo. Some one who have some short info?
Normal trophy sice etc.etc.
Have tried to get some info on the net but haven't found much.
I understand they don't have the deep curls of the east African type.
This is the one that I shot:View attachment 205180
Not much spread but a decent boss I guess.
What is a normal width of a boss? Addo and east African?
Hi there Peter

what i know about Addo, east african Kruger buffalo
they are all cape buffalo and cant be seperated even with DNA tests
the Addo buffalo were always "disease free" occurred in the addo region of south africa
east african buffalo were imported into south africa when some farmers wanted to breed with buffalo to improve and regenerate the "disease free" buffalo
kruger buffalo occurred in and around kruger national park, they were always "diseased buffalo", they carry a series of diseases which are detrimental to domestic cattle

so in order to boost 'disease free ' populations breeding stock was necessary and introducing east africa bulls onto addo cows produced great buffalo

the traits arent always the same but generally Addo buffalo have less spread but more horn mass and nice big bosses
east african buffalo tend to be wider in the spread but a bit less horn mass
so combining the two was a good thing to get a more balanced animals

later the projects gave us disease free kruger buffalo which is the biggest and most diverse gene pool

this can go on and on but basically this is how it happened

but after all is said and done, a buff is a buff and yours is a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards
 
Hi there Peter

what i know about Addo, east african Kruger buffalo
they are all cape buffalo and cant be seperated even with DNA tests
the Addo buffalo were always "disease free" occurred in the addo region of south africa
east african buffalo were imported into south africa when some farmers wanted to breed with buffalo to improve and regenerate the "disease free" buffalo
kruger buffalo occurred in and around kruger national park, they were always "diseased buffalo", they carry a series of diseases which are detrimental to domestic cattle

so in order to boost 'disease free ' populations breeding stock was necessary and introducing east africa bulls onto addo cows produced great buffalo

the traits arent always the same but generally Addo buffalo have less spread but more horn mass and nice big bosses
east african buffalo tend to be wider in the spread but a bit less horn mass
so combining the two was a good thing to get a more balanced animals

later the projects gave us disease free kruger buffalo which is the biggest and most diverse gene pool

this can go on and on but basically this is how it happened

but after all is said and done, a buff is a buff and yours is a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

Thank you very much for your answer!
Than I know a little more. It's always nice to know as much as possible about the animals you hunt!
 
Notice the white nose on the buff!:)
 
Nice buff Peter. From your question and the answer by Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris we all or at least most of us learned something.
 
Knowledge is an easy burden to carry!!!:)
Thank you for all info! If someone have any more on the subject,
please fill in!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,378
Members
170,028
Latest member
UteBzb1171
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top