500ne vs 577ne

Thanks for your reply Matt. Until i can afford a double, either or both calibers will be had in a modified ruger no1.

I wouldn't say they would be toys, partially because no gun is a toy, and because truth be told i will hunt everything from whitetail up to moose and grizzly with it until i can afford a trip to Oz or Africa.

I do handload so the ammunition cost really isnt a big deal. And i love this history of both cartridges and have been considering getting one or the other since i was a young boy. But there's not many floating around washington state nor many gunsmiths willing to do the conversion that id trust
I think you will find that cost will become a factor if you go with the .577 NE. Dies alone will run you around $300-$500. Brass is like $4 a piece, there are no "cheap" practice bullets for a .577 and Woodleigh and Barnes are probably the two most common you will run into when looking. They are a pretty penny (like anywhere from $2 - $8 a shot) and only come in like boxes of 20-25. You'll be burning through powder at a rate of around 50 rounds per lb of powder. so you are looking at around $125 for a reloaded box of 20. Granted brass gets cheaper the more you use it but even once it has been loaded 5 times it is still costing you $70 a box.

To top all that off, a Ruger No.1 is almost universally too light. A custom build for me would likely entail tungsten weights in the buttstock and forend to get the weight up to around 15lbs or so. Even at that weight, just judging from recoil energy figures, it will likely not be "fun" to shoot, unless you're a masochist.

I have to agree, the .500 NE is the way to go, or if you are just looking for a big case and lots of power, with readily (I am using that word in context here) available components, go with a .505 Gibbs.

Thank you for your reply Chris, I've taken into account the costs for supplies such as those. And I'm thinking im going to go with the 577 through j.d. jones at ssk industries. Dies will run me 250 and the brass and bullets will be a neccessary evil lol. I practice with the bullets i hunt with. Even if they are pricey

Poppabear55, I see from your more recent posts that you are favoring the 577. May I be so presumptuous to ask you to wait a while before having the rifle modified and rebarreled. Several very knowledgeable folks have advised the 500 NE over the 577. You don't know any of them personally or through their AH posts. You will soon see that they have considerable experience and expertise in these matters. Good luck with which ever way you choose to go and thank you for your service.

Poppabear55, I see from your more recent posts that you are favoring the 577. May I be so presumptuous to ask you to wait a while before having the rifle modified and rebarreled. Several very knowledgeable folks have advised the 500 NE over the 577. You don't know any of them personally or through their AH posts. You will soon see that they have considerable experience and expertise in these matters. Good luck with which ever way you choose to go and thank you for your service.
I've considered holding off on it, if only because of the advise on here. Qnd only from the standpoint of the action work needed. But I've been told by a few different people that its safe to do if done bu a knowledgeable smith. And ssk industries has done this conversion quite a few times in the past. If the handi rifles can handle it with modifications why couldnt a no1?

if it´s the wow factor you are after why not go to the meanest beasts there are 585Nyati or 577T-rex kicks like a mule but provided that you hit what you are aming at it will go down :)

I also have an itch that can only seem to be scratched with a .577 Nitro Express. It's not a matter of practicality but one of pure enjoyment.

Regarding SSK, J.D. recommends a counter-coil stock (I think that's what it's called) and a major league suppressor. Given such accouterments the rifle becomes a shootable (if not still mildly abusive) beast. As for me, I have designed my own falling block action for the big .577 and will hopefully begin the build yet this year.

This is how J.D. typically does it:

cover-1.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

There's a youngster on another board that wants to convert his Ruger #1 to 500 NE. Says he already has one in .458 Lott and that "it's almost pleasant to shoot."

I've heard 458 Lott described a lot of ways, but "almost pleasant to shoot" isn't one of them.

There's a youngster on another board that wants to convert his Ruger #1 to 500 NE. Says he already has one in .458 Lott and that "it's almost pleasant to shoot."

I've heard 458 Lott described a lot of ways, but "almost pleasant to shoot" isn't one of them.
That youngster is me, and yes it kicks like a mule but it isnt unpleasant by any means unless you're hunched up over too low of s shooting bench working up loads, off of a proper bench or standing and even kneeling it isnt painful in least to shoot

Cool little video done by a gentleman who has rechambered his #1s to 416 Rigby, 450NE, 470NE, 500NE, 505 Gibbs, and 577NE. take it for whats its worth, and what he loaded those cartridges at...but still an interesting short video on this subject:

Cool little video done by a gentleman who has rechambered his #1s to 416 Rigby, 450NE, 470NE, 500NE, 505 Gibbs, and 577NE. take it for whats its worth, and what he loaded those cartridges at...but still an interesting short video on this subject:

I've seen that video, which is why i know it can be done lol

My old 458Lott was not unpleasant to shoot, not even with 600grs bullets. CZ602 with factory stock altered by a very good smith. Sold it; bought a 416Rigby Ruger no1. Guess the stock was made by a carpenter, shaped like a 2x4". Sold it off after a short time.

I think you will find that cost will become a factor if you go with the .577 NE. Dies alone will run you around $300-$500. Brass is like $4 a piece, there are no "cheap" practice bullets for a .577 and Woodleigh and Barnes are probably the two most common you will run into when looking. They are a pretty penny (like anywhere from $2 - $8 a shot) and only come in like boxes of 20-25. You'll be burning through powder at a rate of around 50 rounds per lb of powder. so you are looking at around $125 for a reloaded box of 20. Granted brass gets cheaper the more you use it but even once it has been loaded 5 times it is still costing you $70 a box.

To top all that off, a Ruger No.1 is almost universally too light. A custom build for me would likely entail tungsten weights in the buttstock and forend to get the weight up to around 15lbs or so. Even at that weight, just judging from recoil energy figures, it will likely not be "fun" to shoot, unless you're a masochist.

I have to agree, the .500 NE is the way to go, or if you are just looking for a big case and lots of power, with readily (I am using that word in context here) available components, go with a .505 Gibbs.
You don’t buy a plinking rifle by going .577, you buy something very special and the people that own one (or two in my case) will tell you that nothing comes close.

Congratulations. SSK has built all my B&M wildcat rifles and they will be building my .300 RUM as well in a few months.

For an update, i ended up aquiring a ruger no1 in 500ne made by ssk
Great. Just curious. What do you intend to actually do with it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross