500 Jeffery Club

I joined the club Saturday, shooting 4 rounds through mine. I’m not sure anything could survive a round from the .500j, my shoulder almost didn’t.
Idk if it gets better per-say & I haven't been to SA with it, yet. (More experienced members stories have been a joy). But when/if it becomes extinctive, controlled, measured .. it's magnificent.

That monograph/Special Issue of BASA JOURNAL SOUTH AFRICA was too big to fit on my scanner.
Too big to fit in a sheet protector until the top edge was sliced off.
Here is a better quality image made by using "Paint" on what I could fit on the scanner.
No scotch tape showing on the top of this one:

Image_20240326_0001.jpg

A German or rather an English cartridge, the author concluded that it was more likely a German one. That was the status in 1995, but there is nowadays a clear distinction between the cartridges 500 Jeffery and 12,7x70 Schüler.

Scannen 26.jpeg
caliber 6 Oktober 95 / November 95

That monograph/Special Issue of BASA JOURNAL SOUTH AFRICA was too big to fit on my scanner.
Here is a better quality image made by using "Paint" on what I could fit on the scanner.

View attachment 595741

Does anyone have a spare hard copy of this magazine they would be willing to sell? I have been trying to find one for awhile. Thanks!

View attachment 595741
Or….just put a well constructed 7mm solid through his brain. Lol!

I agree :) I got my 500 Jeffery for pure knockdown power, but placement is soo important. It's an old joke. My friend bought a 9mm (i shoot 45 and 45 Super). I told him if I want to make someone angry, I'll just insult them :)
If you care to share, have you ever used the 500 on Bear?

I haven't I got this bear with my Rem XCR II (stainless/TryNyte finish) in 375 H&H with a 300g A-Frame at 13 yards. Hit him perfectly but he stood up, took off into the brush and roared for like 3 minuutes. Went in after him and found him dead on the trail waiting for us. I hear sometimes they go bang flop when hit with a 30-06. Regardless, next time I'm bringing the 500.

5NwQ1PZ.jpg

zyJbAZc.jpg

Posted before. Idk, however .. Kynoch-Norma-Jamison-Bertram
View attachment 595798

Anyone who buys nowadays a rifle caliber 500 Jeffery should pay attention to which cartridge it is intended for and then also pay attention to the ammunition. No problem with the new rifles, but perhaps with the used. The cartridges 500 Jeffery and 12,7 x70 Schüler are not always interchangeable.

Anyone who buys nowadays a rifle caliber 500 Jeffery should pay attention to which cartridge it is intended for and then also pay attention to the ammunition. No problem with the new rifles, but perhaps with the used. The cartridges 500 Jeffery and 12,7 x70 Schüler are not always interchangeable.
Correct there are 3 chamber.dimensions....I own the one that can take all 3...

Now the question to the honorable members of the club: Who has what ?

My rifle built in 1998 has a chamber for the Romey Hybrid cartridge. In addition to the rifle I got the ammunition from W.Romey and brass from Horneber. With that I have what I need for reloading. Fortunately the barrel diameters are the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MairaRatle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.