500 Jeffery Club

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
From a members Suggestion. "The 500 Jeffery Club"
Really would love to hear, ie. (precarious situations), stressful Hunts or just success in which the 500 Jeffery saved their hide, or Reigned.

It is an Astonishing Cartridge.
Thank You.

Surface photos.
5.jpg

1669901568619.png

1669901678898.png

The photo below. Sold, from the MNR Vault. W.J. Jeffery .500. Never fired, Allegedly the last built.
1669902076821.png

Last edited:
Beautiful rifle! I wish I could add some stories, but I got my brown bear with my 375 Weatherby (which was an exciting close up and personal hunt) Next time I'll take the 500 Jeffery! Rifle picture.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the brass, dies and some loaded ammo. I even have a nice low power 1-4 trijicon scope. But no rifle. I'm hearing mixed things about the Sako 85

I can honestly say that after using my 500j on 2 buffalo in Zim last July, that different things happen on impact than any other caliber I've used. The sheer power is remarkable. Possibly one of, if not the best buffalo cartridge ever developed.

IMG_3487.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can honestly say that after using my 500j on 2 buffalo in Zim last July, that different things happen on impact than any other caliber I've used. The sheer power is remarkable. Possibly one of, if not the best buffalo cartridge ever developed.
"Different things happen on impact than any other caliber" ..
if you @ sometime care to elaborate, would love to hear. And a beautiful machine.

Attachments

• jeffery's.jpg
    14.5 MB · Views: 148
I am a fan of the 500 Jeffery cartridge since the 1960s, but I prefer to call it, as far as I am concerned, 12,7x70 Schüler because of the caliber of my rifle that I had built in the nineties.

IMG_0002 (4).jpeg

I have shot quite a few game with it, including several elephants, a game species for that this cartridge was developed, and not for anything else. I only shot one buffalo with it, but this cartridge is oversized for buffalo hunting, and therefore also for other wild species. You can certainly shoot a lot of other game than elephants with it, but who plans something like that should consider looking at a different caliber than trying to master the 500 Jeffery cartridge with reduced loads.

I allow myself this comment because I am constantly exposed to criticism regarding the use of the cartridge 460 WBY-Magnum for hunting big game in Africa, a cartridge that is more suitable for hunting other game species in Africa than elephants as the cartridge 500 Jeffery.

I guess I am part of the club. I have a .500 Jeffery that has experienced precarious situations and I have seen her do things that show a level of power that has to be seen to believe. I have a Custom CZ 550 that has been customized by Matrix Gunsmithing who took over for AHR with their #2 package that includes three position safety, straightened and filled bolt handle etc. I also added a few other custom touches like an ebony tip, red decelerator pad and a Mauser sight hood. Here is a picture of her in Moz from 2021.
20211017_102527.jpg

I won't tell the whole story here. But the cliff notes of my .500 Jeffery precarious situation involve a completely unexpected buffalo charge from a no chance 5 meters, a point black hip shot from my .500 Jeffery while dodging out of the way and some miraculous shooting from my PH Jaco Strauss. The aftermath picture is below. You can see my .500 Jeffery beneath the buffalo. I might add it was undamaged other than some scratches in the stock.
20211014_094458.jpg

That first buffalo hunt was so exciting we decided we had to hunt another. That hunt demonstrated the unusual effect the ,500 Jeffery can have on a Buffalo. I hit Buffalo #2 perfectly on the shoulder from 25 yards with a .570 grain Woodleigh Solid. At the impact the Buffalo did not even flinch, didn't move, not a sound. It froze for so long that Jaco started to tell me that I had missed and the buffalo was deaf shoot again when the Buffalo fell over as if it was poll axed and immediately gave the death baugh. Both hunting reports can be read here titled "Pain and Redemption in Niassa" Below is the 2nd Buffalo, a very happy hunter and one very special to me .500 Jeffery.
IMG-20211020-WA0001.jpg

Here's a charge I stopped last week with the 500 Jeff.

He was determined, coming right at me at a great rate of knots.

The 500 stopped him with one front on shot to the chest at about 10 metres away.

Probably doesn't count as a 'precarious situation' or a 'stressful hunt' ... but I'll consider it a success.

:ROFLMAO:

IMG_3086.jpg

Here's a charge I stopped last week with the 500 Jeff.

He was determined, coming right at me at a great rate of knots.

The 500 stopped him with one front on shot to the chest at about 10 metres away.

Probably doesn't count as a 'precarious situation' or a 'stressful hunt' ... but I'll consider it a success.

:ROFLMAO:

View attachment 503088
Mate that looks like a Sako. I need to know is it a single stack mag? And do you have any ejection issues with it whilst the scope is fitted?

Mate that looks like a Sako. I need to know is it a single stack mag? And do you have any ejection issues with it whilst the scope is fitted?
Yep - Sako 85 'Brown Bear'. Double staggered mag. I've not had the ejection issues that some have had with scope fitted.

It is better to present some things at once, there are different 500 Jeffery cartridges.

I belong to the group ROMEY Hybrid with my rifle.

1669934728038.png

My love affair with the cartridge 500 Schüler alias 500 Jeffery began reading this page of the Gun Digest from 1960.

At that time the cartridge was classified as dropped so I only remembered it for a while. At the beginning of the 1990s, however, things looked different again.

Scannen 18.jpeg

Scannen 17.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you