470-475 Turnbull

Josephus 458

Reaction score
Member of
NRA/Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
US
I have been reading up a lot on Buff hunting lately. Years ago and before I started my research on Buffalo hunting I asked about possibly hunting this Brute with a 45-70 (Not on here) but on another forum and I was scolded pretty good. It was my ignorance about Africa and hunting dangerous game that was the cause for this. I had it in my mind that since a 45-70 loaded with a hard cast or solid could take anything in North America it may be good enough for Africa! Boy was I mistaken. I’ve acquired a CZ 550 chambered in 458 Lott and have become proficient with the rifle having had some work done to it and a bit of practice. Now here’s the thing, I keep on drifting back and dreaming of using a lever gun on a Southern Buff. I would like to hear opinions on the 470 and 475 Turnbull and if this is even an option for a hunt on the Buff.

Do it, mate. It’ll be fine. Choose a good bullet. Follow your dream! I’ve killed quite a few big Australian buffalo with my Winchester 1894 .30-30, and it is far from ideal, especially with factory softs. I loaded 150 grain Woodleigh Hydros and used it as a two-shooter out of caution, and it has so far been very successful compared to when I used factory ammunition. Do what you’re passionate about. A PH will be there with a conventional big bore rifle if there’s trouble.

i dont know much about these cartridges but if the ballistic information on Chuckhawks is true then the 475 Turnbull looks like it would make a fine dangerous game cartridge. a 450+ grain bullet would do great on buffalo and even be plenty suitable for elephant assuming you can get the speeds in the article. id load that puppy up with 500gr Woodleighs (woodleighs will do better at the reduced velocities) and go hunting.

-matt

I just watched a episode of Under Wild Skies. Tony Makris took a nice buff with a Winchester chambered in 475 Turnbull. He shot the buffalo broadside and the bullet lodged under the skin on the far side. The buff dropped in his tracks. He took an elephant with the same gun in a different episode. Will it work, yes, with the proper shot. I would talk to my ph about it. For me, I’m taking my 416 rem to Zimbabwe next year. I’ve always been more comfortable with a bolt gun over a lever action.

this thread peaked my interest in the 475 Turnbull... I found myself contacting them for a price and the prices seem pretty reasonable. for a no frills lever gun in 475 Turnbull its $3500.

I think hunting Afican dangerous game with a level gun would be a lot of fun!

-matt

I think Terry Weiland used a 475 when Turnbull first brought it out, on buffalo. I could be mistaken I just read like 4 books on dangerous game when I was up elk hunting.

470 - Marlin 1895
475 - Winchester 1886

Believe its a difference of length but the 475 is more powerful.

I have a 457 WWG built by Wild West Guns of Alaska on a Marlin that I considered bringing on a buffalo hunt. It is an awesome little lightweight package. I opted to bring the Ruger 77 in 375 Ruger, which worked great, but still curious about the lever action. The 457 WWG sends a 350 grain bullet at 2200 fps. I think it would have worked fine on buffalo, and is a dream to carry.

if your using a .458" bullet then 350gr is pretty dang light... too light. id say the minimum .458" bullet weight you could use with a velocity of around only 2000fps is 450gr. a 400gr .458 monometal bullet could work if you can push it fast enough but it needs speed to overcome its low SD.

ive never heard of the 457 WWG but i think it might not be powerful enough for the job given your 350gr at 2200fps stats.

-matt

Thanks for the response, Matt, I appreciate your thoughts.

There is another commercial load from Corbon that sounds interesting - it is a 460 grain hard cast at 2000 fps. I am not sure how that is possible out of an 18.5 inch barrel of the Marlin, but if the published figures are accurate, that is some spicy mustard!

The WWG Co-Pilot rifle is small, and light - if it wasn't for that I wouldn't care about trying to use it more frequently. I bought it for hunting bear and cougar behind hounds, where the short barrel, light weight, and fast second shot are particularly useful.

Based on this thread it got me thinking. I recently picked up a Ruger #1 is 475 linebaugh. Just called Turnbull and the plan is to have the action colorcased, barrel rechambered in 475 Turnbull, and rust blue the barrel after the correct calibre is put on the barrel. I will then restock into a nice english walnut.

Thanks for the response, Matt, I appreciate your thoughts.

There is another commercial load from Corbon that sounds interesting - it is a 460 grain hard cast at 2000 fps. I am not sure how that is possible out of an 18.5 inch barrel of the Marlin, but if the published figures are accurate, that is some spicy mustard!

The WWG Co-Pilot rifle is small, and light - if it wasn't for that I wouldn't care about trying to use it more frequently. I bought it for hunting bear and cougar behind hounds, where the short barrel, light weight, and fast second shot are particularly useful.

id buy a box of the corbon ammunition and shoot it over a chronograph. if your actually getting 2000fps then its good to go. but im betting they are basing that 2000fps on a much longer (probably 26") barrel. the 475 Turnbull is getting its speed from the 26" barrel on his lever guns.

-matt

Based on this thread it got me thinking. I recently picked up a Ruger #1 is 475 linebaugh. Just called Turnbull and the plan is to have the action colorcased, barrel rechambered in 475 Turnbull, and rust blue the barrel after the correct calibre is put on the barrel. I will then restock into a nice english walnut.

Dave was the #1 already a re-chamber from 480 Ruger?

@Milehighshooter No is was a 475 Linebaugh from the factory. It will also shoot 480 ruger.Turnbull quoted me a decent price for the work so I need to decide yes or no on the project:A Thumbs Up:

without knowing the specs on your Ruger #1, is there any reason not to do something like 458 WM?

the 475 Turnbull is cool... in a lever gun. but in a gun that could handle more pressure its pretty anemic and will require special order brass which means more $$. the 458 WM will be a much easier cartridge to work with seeing as brass, bullets, and even loaded ammunition are cheap and plentiful.

unless of course your doing it just because you want to. in which case, go for it!

-matt

@matt85 I already have a 458WM in a custom mauser, the 475 linebaugh is a good pistol/lever gun round and fun to shoot in a #1. The 475 lturnbull is a good step up in power and brass and dies are just to cost of doing business. The #1 barrel is to light to rechamber all the way to 470NE. Years ago I built a 500NE on a number one and put a bull barrel that was 26 inches long and it was very light for calibre. Did the math on the turnbull and it will be a major step up in power from the linebaugh and a ways below a 470NE. The power will be just about perfect for the weight of the #1. This is just kinda like putting bigger heads and carburettor on a old small block chevy, that gives a little more power, is cooler than the stock engine, the colorcase is the new paint job, and the english walnut is the final step in just a reasonable customization on the plain to short of LOP. Just kinda tarting the old girl up for no reason that I want to.:ROFLMAO:

I give Texans credit...

Ever since that guy shot an Indian off a horse near some wall at a crazy long distance every Texan I know has been trying to duplicate that shot.

I tip my hat!

If you wanna knock the stuffins out of a cape with a lever gun spitting a big chunk of 45-70 lead then why the hell not knock the snot out of that smelly bastard with what you want.

My only advice is that when you hit him, keep hitting him everywhere it could make him say ouch. If his butt cheeks pucker shoot him some more and don't forget to keep loading.

By the way....don't be surprised if he don't just pull down the shades and close up shop on the first on second shot. Pour the coal to him like you're a stoker on the Titanic.

I'd love to be there to watch it.

I love this thread! Especially from Von above.

But back to the original ??? about killing buff with a big bre levergun - of course you can. It has been done over and over as in the pic to the left. 1895Winchester in .405 WCF. The story is somewhere on this forum.

This .45-90 (.450 NE 2.4) has taken, ele, leopard, 3 buff in RSA, and in Texas, lots of exotics.
The DG load for buff is Alaska Bulletworks heavy jacket 450 grain FMJ at 2150 fps.
Compare that to other .458 buffalo loads and you will see the obvious.
North Fork and Punch solids were used on ele frontal brain shots and they shot through the head and back into the body.

BTW, that is an 1895 .405 leaning on that RSA buff in the picture to the left. 400 grain Woodleigh Weldcore at 2076 fps.

With the right ammo, the .45-70 (.450 NE 2.1) can do the job too.

Attachments

• 52608_600x400.jpg
    52608_600x400.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited by a moderator:
AZDave
Maybe when you pass through my part of Texas in October, you can shoot my 1886 and 1895 just for grins.
Offhand of course, because they will both talk to you shooting from a bench rest.

Josephus,
I see you live just a short drive south of Farmersville, so maybe you can go out with Dave and me and bust a few DG loads ( I have enough to kill 30-40 more ele).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelinaVa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you