.416 Rigby from prone?

I have shot my scoped 416 from a prone position using a bipod.
Three shots to check zero.
It was not that bad. I'd do it again for the same purpose, but I would not suggest it for the more slightly built folks on the planet.

Its actually less likely to injure a lighter person than a heavier one, less resistance to the recoil.;)

.... as the wee folk go rolling backwards.

Hobbits maybe....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

So do I get on a treadmill or visit the fridge?

Neither, stay off the ground!;):rolleyes:

It's being upright that matters isn't it. Whether it's sitting, standing or anything in between it allows your body to rock back with the recoil. My .416 certainly rocks me a bit!
Correct.

This is why I was advising in my previous post warning you of the scope hit in prone, to sit low at the bench (12" to 18" off the ground). It forces you to keep your back upright, hence able to roll back under recoil; it puts meat between the recoil pad and your collar bone; and it prevents you from crawling forward on the stock toward the scope.

Actually, in the old days, the British gun makers had standing benches that they used to regulate the double rifles. That worked pretty well.

As to portable shooting bench, I am personally really happy with the MTM "Predator Shooting Table." It is cetainly not as solid or steady as Bullthrower338,'s bench, but a heck of a lot more portable if you do not own the place where you shoot. Simple, inexpensive ($65) and about the right height when sitting on an ammo can. Just put a simple MTM or Caldwell front rest ($25) on top of it and Bob's your uncle :)

I personally do nit use lead sled. I am concerned that they stress wood stocks too much, and - more importantly - they change the dynamics of the recoil so much on high recoil rifles that the zero your get on lead sled does not always reflect the zero you will get shooting from field positions when the rifle is already in rearward / upward motion before the bullet actually leaves the barrel...

Just my $0.02...

upload_2019-11-3_19-6-4.png

I have shot my scoped 416 from a prone position using a bipod. Three shots to check zero. It was not that bad. I'd do it again for the same purpose, but I would not suggest it for the more slightly built folks on the planet.
+1
Or the less experienced with large caliber / high recoil rifles.

Last edited:
Correct.
This is why I was advising in my previous post warning you of the scope hit in prone, to sit low at the bench (12" to 18" off the ground). It forces you to keep your back upright, hence able to roll back under recoil; it puts meat between the recoil pad and your collar bone; and it prevents you from crawling forward on the stock toward the scope.

Actually, in the old days, the British gun makers had standing benches that they used to regulate the double rifles. That worked pretty well.

As to portable shooting bench, I am personally really happy with the MTM "Predator Shooting Table." It is cetainly not as solid or steady as 's bench, but a heck of a lot more portable if you do not own the place where you shoot. Simple, inexpensive ($65) and about the right height when sitting on an ammo can. Just put a simple MTM or Caldwell front rest ($25) on top of it and Bob's your uncle :)

I personally do nit use lead sled. I am concerned that they stress wood stocks too much, and - more importantly - they change the dynamics of the recoil so much on high recoil rifles that the zero your get on lead sled does not always reflect the zero you will get shooting from field positions when the rifle is already in rearward / upward motion before the bullet actually leaves the barrel...

Just my $0.02...

View attachment 312876

+1
Or the less experienced with large caliber / high recoil rifles.
Still how the English houses regulate their double rifles. Also how JJ Perodeau "bench rests" regulation and how Lance Hendershot develops loads for doubles.

The problem with shooting hard hitters prone is that your body acts like a lead sled and absorbs most of the recoil. I have shot 416’s prone, it isn’t enjoyable but I’ve not been injured by it. Get a bench and you will enjoy life more.
I built this one in an afternoon with some left over steel laying around the yard. Made it extra wide to accommodate my LabRadar.

View attachment 312833
Good set up

I shoot my .375H&H from prone quite often...but not any larger from prone thank you..
I also shoot my .470 K-gun from a sitting bench with full loads, no problem when using a recoil absorber aka past or the like....personally I do not get beaten more while sitting than using a standing bench as long as I sit rather upright..

Well the answer to that came back pretty much as I was expecting! Thanks chaps, I'll avoid it.

The shots I will be firing at deer up in Scotland will almost certainly be prone. Stalking is done over hilly ground where the lay of the land is the only cover. Popping your head up over a small hill with the rifle on a bipod and taking the shot is the only type of shot I've taken so far. Sitting would give us away, let alone standing. Lots of crawling in on animals trying to stay as low as possible.

The rifle is now scoped so the risk is increased. I don't have QD mounts on it yet either as they were out of stock, so I used the fixed ones that I had here already. I'll be changing them over when I can but for now it is what it is. I don't really want to keep messing with the fixed mounts.

I don't own a lead sled but for zeroing the range owner/coach at one of the places I visit has one for clients to use. It sounds like I really need to build a bench as a practical piece of kit for me to use. Bullthrower338's looks very good but mine will need to take down so it can be moved easily. I will probably make mine with plywood.

Seems to me that you are overthinking it a bit prone with a scope and full load of 400 grains might get you in all sorts. But since you will be shooting deer and over longer ranges in Scotland why not load a 300gr bullet and shoot it at around 2600fps which will give you almost the same recoil as 375 which is very manageable from prone. Double check you eye relief on that scope also.

Is there no misunderstanding?

Hunting deers in Scotland with a rifle caliber 416 Rigby !!? Because it is strange in this country if one comes with a rifle caliber larger than .243 !:)

Lets say you do a low crawl up to a river bank to get a look at a crocodile and he comes out on the bank for some sun. You could back out, build a blind and set bait or take the good fortune that the bush has given you and shoot form the solid prone position that you are already in? I was carrying my .416 Remington when that situation arose but my choice was to shoot no matter how many days left on the hunt. I would not want to hunt with a rifle that I was not comfortable taking advantage of prone position if that was the best option available. Rare, but the need could arise. I figured out long ago that my recoil tolerance has reached it limits with the .416/.404's. I have no intention of taking either out for hot day of prairie dog shooting off the mat with a bipod.

We had a guy at The Zimbabwe Hunters test go prone on the gong. He fired one shot and then moved and shot seated :LOL:
The look on his face said it all! If you have to shoot prone, try to get your body at angle to the rifle when looked at from above and try to arch your back so that you take the recoil on the front of the shoulder and not the collarbone/upper shoulder.

If you are going to try, please ensure that you video the shot and post it here !

416 from prone ?

I think there are better ways of punishing yourself.

If you are going to try, please ensure that you video the shot and post it here !

I'll have to remember that next go round.

The only time I’ve used the prone position in Africa was for croc. I practiced for months prone ahead of that hunt just for that shot. Not sure what else it would be really needed for with a heavy caliber. Still, doesn’t hurt to be prepared and have it in your bag of skills. JMO

Well njc, the long and the short of this question will be obviated by the use of your 6.5 x 55 for your deer hunt. Once I got my 416 Rigby zeroed off the bench I went to using shooting sticks at the range. Much easier on my shoulder. I shudder at the thought of even trying to shoot it prone.

The only time I’ve used the prone position in Africa was for croc. I practiced for months prone ahead of that hunt just for that shot. Not sure what else it would be really needed for with a heavy caliber. Still, doesn’t hurt to be prepared and have it in your bag of skills. JMO

It really does pay to know how to shoot a firearm from as many positions as possible. You never know when you may need to take a slightly unusual shot. Prone is the most steady position available and is usually the easiest, just not in this case!

I have shot my scoped 416 from a prone position using a bipod.
Three shots to check zero.
It was not that bad. I'd do it again for the same purpose, but I would not suggest it for the more slightly built folks on the planet.

I presume you remove the bipod when hunting.

I have had significant POA changes when doing this even when moving from prone to sticks to off hand. Bigger bores would change less.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross