Alistair

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Scotland, Ireland & England
Hi all,

Another .375H&H question for you all, and I'm sure one that's popped up before, but let's see what the current 'state of the art' looks like!

Depending on which reloading data I look at, there sems to be a bit of a range of opinion on the requirement for magnum primers for this cartridge.

I have both large and large magnum primers to hand, so I wondered what people tend to use?

My primers options are Federal Gold Match 215 and 215M and I'll be using N150 and 300gr bullets (TSX and Gamekings). I want reasonable velocities as it reduces the lead for driven boar, but not looking for hyperspeed. Somewhere around 2400-2500 should be plenty.

What do you all reckon?

Al.

I use 215M, find them very reliable.

I’ve used CCI 250 and Federal 215’s. With RL15, I don’t see much difference. With WW748, I get better accuracy with the Fed 215.

I use Winchester Large Rifle Magnum for my 375HH and my 7RM. Never had a misfire.

IMG_1137.jpg

Or some reasonable facsimile.

I use Remington magnum primers in my 375. I had some CCI 250s misfire in more than just my 375 probably a bad batch, but I’ll never buy another one.

I've used both standard and magnum primers in reloading my magnum calibers and found no real difference between them.

So I just use standard primers in all my reloads.

Test 5 rounds of your reload recipe with each standard and magnum primers through a chronograph, then decide for yourself which works best in your rifle.

All I have ever used in mine was CCI 200 large rifle, std. Powders used were mostly IMR4350 and 4831. Never had an issue. But I started shooting mine in 1984 and didn't know any better.:rolleyes::eek::D

I've only used magnum primers (215M) in my magnum calibers and large rifle in my non-magnums. Why? Because that's what the manual say, no other reason.

I've read where some use the large rifle primers in their magnum calibers and actually claim they got better accuracy. I gave it go just because but saw no difference.

Would it make a difference for you? Only one way to find out.

I use Federal 215 Magnum Primers for 375 H&H and above. Never had an issue.

I use Remington magnum primers in my 375. I had some CCI 250s misfire in more than just my 375 probably a bad batch, but I’ll never buy another one.

In my double rifle a barrel does not ignite sometimes when I use the CCI 250

Here an interesting answer from our member CRS in an other thread:

"Some years back, I had similar experiences with primers in a new rifle and a top Cowboy Action Shooter (CAS) told me that all the CAS competitors use Federal Match primers for reliability, as they ignite with less strike pressure than others.
This might be worth a try and avoid gun smith fees.
My personal experience with Federal Match Magnum primers in my .405 WCF is that they added 35 fps to the velocity of my top loads."

Apparently not every firing pin tolerates every primer.
Foxi

Last edited:
I use Federal 215 m and CCI 250 both work for me. The difference was caused of the shortage a few years ago. Took what I could get.

@tarbe Tim, did you stock up on primers to hand out for Halloween? Or is the photo from your reloading supply store? No wait, they usually don't have that much inventory on the shelf.
Tim, if you are handing them out on Hallowwen, are you currently in Mo or Tx? I'll dress up like @Bullthrower338 - that should be a scary enough costume to get a few boxes of primers :ROFLMAO:

@tarbe Tim, did you stock up on primers to hand out for Halloween? Or is the photo from your reloading supply store? No wait, they usually don't have that much inventory on the shelf.

Well, that is about 10% of the primer stash...which means I need more bullets!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg