.375 H&H Magnum bullets : Light weight hunting bullets for longer hunting distances in the Kalahari

I spoke to Hansie Minnaar (Stewart`s core bonded bullets owner) this morning. I told him what I intended to hunt in the Kalahari. He pointed out that he needs to make a spitser type of core bonded bullet for me in a 270gn weight since the round nose bullets loose a lot of velocity past the 200 meters.... Good, so I am sorted in regards to the most functional bullets to use in the Kalahari hunt the furthest distance if really need be is 300 meters..I will do a lot of shooting out at 300 meters with quad leg shooting sticks before the upcoming Kalahari hunt...will commence building myself a good quality shooting sticks .

Members, I will be going on a trip to the Kalahari this hunting season. I decided to take the .375 H &H Magnum . Usually I use the 270gn bullet weight while hunting in bushveld regions. Since this type of hunting will be totally the opposite of bushveld hunting...long open flat plains and streets between dunes I am contemplating using 200 -220 gn bullets . And will try to zero out to 250 meters ...the scope will be a Minox 4-10 x 42 it should be sufficient. I would like your opinons and suggestions ..
I'm running 235 grain Woodleigh Protected Points at 2800fps out of my 375 Ruger for areas where I have to reach out further. Already taken one scrub bull using this loading and it is providing plenty of penetration.

Gert, one thing I failed to mention about 235 vs 300. Stability and accuracy if having to shoot through brush. I discovered this shooting lions in the Kalahari area of the Northwest in RSA. I had to shoot through thin brush and discovered the short 235 lost stability and missed the intended target spot! Giving us a very angry wounded lion! If I had used the long 300, or even the longer 250 or 260, I don’t think I would have had the same situation.
JMO&E Best of luck on your hunt!

Ridgewalker, I will be using the 270 gn Stewart core bonded bullets from Hansie Minnaar, he will make 50x bullets for me with the "Spitzer" profile for open shots out to 300 meters if need be (I doubt I will shoot this far out) he explained to me the round nose bullets for bushveld hunting will not work that effectively ..this is the reason why he tailor make it for me..

I think that for hunting DG heavier bullets must be used withoud saying. But this thread was started for puspose of hunting PG, on longer distances.

...the Nosler Partition at 375 H&H velocities is pretty good and should handle up to eland on a heart/lung shot.
I was with you right up to this statement. Sorry @Ridgewalker, IMO there are so many better choices than the NP. Especially the ones you mentioned like the TBBC, SAF, Northfork and Rhino. I'd also add the Barnes TSX to that list of expanding softs. No offense meant and I hope none taken.

@Gert Odendaal If you are worried about meat damage on smaller PG antelope, why not use a solid that shoots to the same POI as your soft?

Beemaa, I got the same question from a previous thread..the thing with solids are that you still will get a lot of meat damage when hitting a bone...I need to place my shots carefully ...and meat damage is not that big issue to me , my dogs needs some game meat as well ..I usually grind those piece for dog food. but previously I experienced excessive meat damage at close range shots in thick bush with my 404 Jeffery and 400 gn bullets ..shooting large parts of ribs to bits...fist hole size holes :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Personally, I never bothered with meat damage. My first and only concern is that animal is dipatched quickly and humanely.

I had great results with 250gr Barnes TTSX over RL15 at 2750fps out to 300 yards. Took a moose neatly in Newfoundland in 2019. I'll be taking the same load for my backup gun for plains game this fall.

For me, I have found the best balance using the 270gr LRX bullets, have preformed excellent on game and you can really stretch them out if you want to.

Having said that, for shots less than 300, it really doesn't matter much at all.

I’ve read a lot of good things about the Stewart bullets. They should be a very good option.
Wyatt, I have been hunting with Stewarts core-bonded bullets the last four years. They really are great premium bullets, Have not a single wounded animal yet..I tried to retrieve the spend bullets to look at the deformation /weight retention but was not able to get hold of a bullet, they all went through . Maybe I will get the opportunity to shoot a Gemsbuck from the front and be able to retrieve the Stewart core bonded bullets. I really like the idea of Hansie Minnaar making me the "spitzer" profile core bonded bullets for longer out shooting distances...

Gert,

I am reading all this thread. ANY of the bonded core or monometalic bullet from 250 to 270 grs mentioned here, all with very good BC, would be more than adequate!
Chose the one YOU and your rifle like, and/or the one more easy to get where you are. Done!

Good luck!

CF

Thank you members , all your great advice and opinions are much appreciated. Yes, I will use the Stewarts`s Core bonded bullets , spitzer points, 270gn , will see how good my rifle groups with it ,,I am pretty sure the bullets and the rifle will outperform me and my shooting skills by large measurements :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Gert I use 230gr Peregrine VLR since I moved to Cape Town, hunting EC and NC, shot kudu, Gemsbok and Springbok so far, very happy with accuracy and bullet performance. I load them @2870fps. Hunting shots so far up to 280m and steel 400m.

Gert I use 230gr Peregrine VLR since I moved to Cape Town, hunting EC and NC, shot kudu, Gemsbok and Springbok so far, very happy with accuracy and bullet performance. I load them @2870fps. Hunting shots so far up to 280m and steel 400m.
Mauser 78 I will take a look at the Perigrine bullets as well , if it groups well in the new .375 barrel I will surely make use of them.. at least it will be a good comparison with the Stewart core bonded bullets I already ordered from Hansie

Mauser, I did take a look at the Perigrine bullets properties..the .375 caliber looks good with their BC I looked at my Mauser 8mm , .323 in it is just unbelievable how high BC these 8mm bullets have...contrary to the believe of many shooters opinions. They belive the 8mm/.323 billets do not have any good long range properties at all

I still have woodleighs for my 8x60 that i use, and barnes tsx and ttsx that i have not loaded yet, I only use the 375 these days. Will load the 270gr Bushmasters from Peregrine for bushveld, but love the 230gr for my current hunting opportunities. Ricle is Zero’d at 200m.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg