.375 H&H Magnum bullets : Light weight hunting bullets for longer hunting distances in the Kalahari

Just order straight from Rhino no problem courier

I also used a 260 grain Accubond in Northern Namibia.....at just under 2800 fps it was quite effective to my range limit........300M................I have also used 200, 220 and 235 grainers, and 250 Barnes. Plot the trajectories out, and you may find that the 260 grainer with high BC is the best compromise.....it was for me...............best of luck...................FWB
Bill, it is great to hear form you again..thank you for great advice ,it is always much, much welcomed..how is your options for the 1885 Era Black Powder hunt this year with me??

Yip good bullets.

Where are you going in the Kalahari?

Yip good bullets.

Where are you going in the Kalahari?
IvW, I will be visiting a friend on his farm with springbuck, Gemsbuck and trek kudu , in Aranos region..will be driving through the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park ..looking forward seeing great vistas and nature ..

Average rainfall 180mm a year, they have had 450mm so far so I think spotting springbuck may be a bit difficult at 300....

@Gert Odendaal , I have shot a couple of boxes of Hornady factory ammo for my 375 Ruger, using the 250 gr GMX bullet. These grouped very well, 1 MOA or less with velocity around 2800 fps.

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/375-cal-375-250-gr-gmx#!/

Data from Hornady's website
1616785231299.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.32 PM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.33 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.34 PM.png
    912.6 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 2.32.36 PM.png
    455.8 KB · Views: 86
Gonna blow a springbuck apart at closer range......
And those are Hornady.....:A Outta:

Maybe I should take the 8x57 JS Mauser for the Springbuck???????

@IvW , oh ye of little faith (in Hornady). I plan to use the 250 GMX on moose in BC. I bet they work nicely.

Yip once bitten twice shy....

i shoot sierra 250 gr sbt #2950 in my two .375 H&H,s at 2700+ fps. when i found out how well they shot, i bought 10 boxs. i,m not sure they make them any more. used on zebra-kudu-eland-blue-black wildabest-red hartabest-worthog-impla-baboon with no problems.

Last edited:
Leslie , Sierra bullets really has a great reputation

May I ask why none of you is considering the Pereginre VLR4 in 250 or 270gr? Especially those who are from South Africa or neighboring countries which might be familiar with them?

May I ask why none of you is considering the Pereginre VLR4 in 250 or 270gr? Especially those who are from South Africa or neighboring countries which might be familiar with them?
Expensive products , there are other premium products for better affordable prices

If there would be no shipping costs they would be similar to the Barnes TTSX at least in Europe. As we have to use lead free bullets in future, maybe they have one. If they get a good share of the market they might become cheaper for you guys also. A scaled up production should improve the cost structure.

Hi Gert,

To me, the Accubond 260 grs is the bullet. I have used it for big Red Deer with great results! To me is the basic medium game .375 H&H bullet. I load it at 2800 f/s with R15. Great bullet with high BC and not too expensive! Expands and penetrates in medium game from any angle.

Good luck

Gert, my experiences. I have used 235, 250 and 300 grain bullets. I wont waist my time using 235s again (lions, warthog, blesbok, gemsbok, springbuck, blue wildebeest). 250 Barnes TTSX performed excellent for me on croc at 95 yards, eland at 125 yards (front quartering shot breaking front right shoulder and ended up under the skin on the opposite side), black wildebeest at 170+ yards, sable at about 25 yards and warthog at about 75 yards. A caracal at maybe 30 yards. The 250 performed well, but only recovered the one from the eland. The BC is much better on the 250 and longer bullets thus shooting flatter at longer ranges in my experience.
That said, I much prefer the 300 grain now. It is easier to get a soft 300 grain to shoot to the same point of impact as a tough 300 grain. Example: the 300 Sierra and the 300 A-frame. All you have to do is change bullets depending on the game as opposed to change scopes or scope settings when changing bullet weights.

In short, I recommend just go with a good versatile 300 grain bullet, ie, Rhino, TBBC, Northfork, A-frame, etc. If you’re not planning on a thick skinned DG (buffalo), the Nosler Partition at 375 H&H velocities is pretty good and should handle up to eland on a heart/lung shot.

Best of luck with what ever you choose to go with!

IvW, I will be visiting a friend on his farm with springbuck, Gemsbuck and trek kudu , in Aranos region..will be driving through the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park ..looking forward seeing great vistas and nature ..

I hunted at McCarthy’s Rest, not far from there. Yes the shots can be long 200-300 yards or as short 50 yards or shorter. I used Norma Oryx 300g and had no problems. Leave the hiking boots at home, take sneakers.

They have been getting a lot of rain. I have been looking at lots photos on Facebook of green plants and grass and lots flooding.

Last edited:
Members, great to hear from every one again, great advice, I will now have ample information to do some re-loading for the .375 H&H Magnum..I am looking forward to a great experience in that beautiful part of the Kalahari..will take my camera as well and take a lot of photos, doing some long hikes in the veld to look for birds and snakes..I love searching for snakes and would really love a close up photo of a large Cape Cobra ..it will be just great.Maybe I can spoor some Honey badgers in the veld..my favorite animal..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinPr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!