.257 Roberts

Finn fan

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
In process of saving for Africa (you know how that goes). I ran into an older gentleman getting out of reloading. I bought plenty that I could use for pennies on the dollar. Dies, bullets, powder, primers, etc.

However, he had a box labeled 257 Roberts. In the box there was a Redding 3 die 257 Roberts set, 200 plus pieces of brass (some virgin some once fired) and about 600 premium hunting bullets (Nosler, Speer Grand Slams, etc,) . Turns out some misguided soul bought his 257 and didn't want the reloading stuff. He said I could have it all for $75. So its mine.

I always wanted a 257 and this seemed like a way to back into one. I was thinking about attempting to build one with a Howa 1500 short action. My gunsmith maintains that the Howa short action is really an intermediate action and would be perfect for the build.

Not sure I am going forth with the project but I am doing the research.

Any thoughts?

Junk the whole project and I'll take everything of your hands for what you have in it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I bought a 1985 Ruger M77 ultralight off of gunbroker this summer that loves 110 gr accubonds. Have just started getting the reloading components so I can play around and develope loads as opposed to the Nosler factory stuff @ 40 dollars a box. Good luck with the build and have fun.

In process of saving for Africa (you know how that goes). I ran into an older gentleman getting out of reloading. I bought plenty that I could use for pennies on the dollar. Dies, bullets, powder, primers, etc.

However, he had a box labeled 257 Roberts. In the box there was a Redding 3 die 257 Roberts set, 200 plus pieces of brass (some virgin some once fired) and about 600 premium hunting bullets (Nosler, Speer Grand Slams, etc,) . Turns out some misguided soul bought his 257 and didn't want the reloading stuff. He said I could have it all for $75. So its mine.

I always wanted a 257 and this seemed like a way to back into one. I was thinking about attempting to build one with a Howa 1500 short action. My gunsmith maintains that the Howa short action is really an intermediate action and would be perfect for the build.

Any thoughts?
I love my 257 Roberts. I have a first year of production Remington. I have used it in South Africa on one of my hunting trips. It performed very very well. Klipspringer at 235 meters, Zebra at 180 meters, and Duiker at 105 meters. I used 117 grain bullet loaded to 2760 fps

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea. You can get a Howa barreled action for a little over $400. If you wanted to do some of the finishing work yourself, you can get a really nice unfinished wood stock at Richards (http://rifle-stocks.com/) for about $300 and not really need a gunsmith for much.

I've been thinking about doing this type of project with a Howa in 308 and a Mannlicher type stock.

I bought a 257R for my daughter when she was 5. She shot it so much she shot the barrel out. I had it rebarreled and she has taken a number of game animals both here(USA) and in Africa. Everything has been one shot kills and no tracking.
The 257R is a great cartridge that does not get much attention anymore.

The only thing wrong with the 357Ris that the gunwriters of the day pulled the rug out from under it when they sold out to the then new 243. It's a vastly superior cartridge, particularly when loaded with the bullets you just bought. Good fortune with your project.

The only thing wrong with the 357Ris that the gunwriters of the day pulled the rug out from under it when they sold out to the then new 243. It's a vastly superior cartridge, particularly when loaded with the bullets you just bought. Good fortune with your project.

The other problem is, its not like Walmart stocks it. I have 3 life-time supplies of 308. One whole ammo box full, because I had to go to the Walmart (or similar) and buy ammo, while I had boxes sitting at home because I forget to pack the correct box. S**t happens, stick with stuff that easy to buy. That said 257R is a great round.

And it is a short action.

I have owned several but currently only one and its a dandy. Ruger No. 1 K1A model. Stainless and walnut. Shoots like a damn. Unlike a lot of Bobs, it loves the 117gr bullet, especially Sierra's. Great little rifle and cartridge. I took a pronghorn with one some years ago in Montana with my Rem Classic .257R. My only wish is that they would change the standard twist from 10 to 9 or even 8 for heavier bullets. Most I have seen favor 100 grs.

A lot of people bad mouth Sierra bullets but they make a lot of guns shoot very small groups.

I've always really really wanted one of these rifles but that caliber is like finding a unicorn. I was at a benifit auction a few years ago and they had a ruger#1 in this caliber and the rifle had a full manlicher stock. It was a absolutely awesome rifle. Apparently another dude thought so too so when it got to about three times what the rifle was worth, which was three times what I could actually afford, I dropped out and let him take it. I've never seen another rifle like that one before or since.

Gizmo,

Those Ruger No.1s with the Mannlicher stock are cool looking little rifles. They have a 20 inch barrel and are known as the International or RSI version. Do a search on GB for Ruger No.1 and then filter on single shot and 20" barrel. Several in 257 Roberts listed and all are north of $1000. Lipseys, the big gun wholesaler headquartered in Baton Rouge, has the exclusive on Ruger No. 1s now and Ruger produces it in limited numbers and calibers. The stainless and wood in 308 are the current hot sellers and prices are north of $2000.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Single-Shot-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+no+1&bl=200018

Screenshot (104).png

I have a custom stocked Sako AV action with a Lilja barrel in a 257 Ackley, it is an extremely accurate rifle with very pleasant recoil ( or lack thereof). Great cartridge that is very often overlooked. Few rifles are chambered for the 257 Roberts, and factory ammo is scarce as "hens teeth". Wish more factory rifle were available. Are you listening Remington, Weatherby/Howa, Ruger, and a Tikka T3 would be perfect.

Any thoughts?
I had one built on the Sako action. It was a sweet little rifle. It had a synthetic stock, I forget what kind right now because that was quite a long time ago. I had a 31/2 to 10 power Leopold scope on it. Nice to carry in the woods, and killed some deer with it over in the state of West Virginia. It's a nice little caliber. Had a Douglas premium barrel on it, but could not get it to shoot. I had to let it go

Suggestion: if you're going to own a 257 Bob, make a sister rifle in 7x57 or get a two barrel set, etc.

The 257 uses the 7x57 as the parent case and it's a great way to get brass by shooting your 7mm.

The combo of those two calibers are all you need for every non dangerous animal in America.

Gizmo,

Those Ruger No.1s with the Mannlicher stock are cool looking little rifles. They have a 20 inch barrel and are known as the International or RSI version. Do a search on GB for Ruger No.1 and then filter on single shot and 20" barrel. Several in 257 Roberts listed and all are north of $1000. Lipseys, the big gun wholesaler headquartered in Baton Rouge, has the exclusive on Ruger No. 1s now and Ruger produces it in limited numbers and calibers. The stainless and wood in 308 are the current hot sellers and prices are north of $2000.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Single-Shot-Rifles/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+no+1&bl=200018
Thanks man. I don't have the $$$ right now but as soon as I do imma be all over it. I was pretty convinced that was like the only one in the universe.

Wow, pre 64 Win in said Caliber!..

Surprisingly there's more of them around than you'd think. Most come at a premium though.

I have a custom stocked Sako AV action with a Lilja barrel in a 257 Ackley, it is an extremely accurate rifle with very pleasant recoil ( or lack thereof). Great cartridge that is very often overlooked. Few rifles are chambered for the 257 Roberts, and factory ammo is scarce as "hens teeth". Wish more factory rifle were available. Are you listening Remington, Weatherby/Howa, Ruger, and a Tikka T3 would be perfect.

That is the funny thing. Also being a 7x57 fan and owner, I thought Tikka should make one in 7x57 because they are currently running one in 8x57. I jumped thru the hoops and on their website and sent an email suggestion. I received nothing back. not even a thank you.

Same with CZ, I actually called them and after many speaking with a few people I was transferred to the custom shop. I suggested making a run of 7x57 again. The gentleman I talked to said, "that will never happen, we would not sell a dozen a year in that caliber."

I really wish someone would make a run of any of the following at the $600 mark:
257 Roberts
7X57
35 Whelen - i know Rugers do show up at this price but a Tikka would be nice?

That is the funny thing. Also being a 7x57 fan and owner, I thought Tikka should make one in 7x57 because they are currently running one in 8x57. I jumped thru the hoops and on their website and sent an email suggestion. I received nothing back. not even a thank you.

Same with CZ, I actually called them and after many speaking with a few people I was transferred to the custom shop. I suggested making a run of 7x57 again. The gentleman I talked to said, "that will never happen, we would not sell a dozen a year in that caliber."

I really wish someone would make a run of any of the following at the $600 mark:
257 Roberts
7X57
35 Whelen - i know Rugers do show up at this price but a Tikka would be nice?
I was lucky enough to grab the only CZ 550 American in 7X57 I've ever seen on Gunbroker two years ago. New in the box and the wood was outstanding. I read it was a limited run of 100 made several years back. If you can find one don't hesitate to jump on it. Mine is a dream to shoot and has become my main deer gun. There is a very nice Ruger M77 liberty edition in 257 currently on Gunbroker for 750. If I hadn't bought the ultra lite M77 this past summer I'd have bought this one. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/609724368

Screen Shot 2017-01-01 at 11.37.03 AM.png

FYI, Kimber and Montana Rifle Co both make very nice Win Mdl 70 clones in 257 Roberts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg