Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I’ve spent the past several months reading & watching reviews, talking to friends and ultimately shooting bows. In the end the only absolute truth seems to be that there has never been a better time to be shopping for a hunting bow! They are all so damn good!
One of the most helpful reviews I found was by our friend John Lusk @Bowhuntr64 here on AH. Thanks John! Here’s a link to his 2020 bow battle video.
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ews-vs-bowtech-vs-pse-vs-elite-vs-bear.54279/
After a lot of research and consideration about the details that matter most to me, I narrowed my choices down to a measly half dozen or so. And started shooting those bows!
They included:
PSE Carbon Air Stealth Mach 1
PSE NXT 33
Hoyt Carbon RX-4
Hoyt RX-4
Mathews Vertix
Bowtech Realm SR-6

I liked every single one of them! but the first two to drop out of the running were the Hoyt Carbon RX-4 and the Mathews Vertix. The Hoyt because the PSE Mach 1 won out as my preference between the two carbon bows, and I never fell in love with the Mathews. Just personal feel on the Vertix, nothing I didn’t like, just liked some of the others a little better.
Of the four remaining bows I felt like the Hoyt had the best grip, I really liked the grip on the Hoyt. The Carbon Mach 1 was incredibly light and I love that for a backcountry hunting bow not to mention being blazing fast. The NXT 33 held really well on target and was very nice to shoot. The Realm SR-6 had the most appealing draw cycle and best back wall.
Of those remaining four bows I cut the Hoyt RX-4 next. The RX-4 had a little more hand shock and vibration and I didn’t like the draw cycle or back wall/valley quite as much as the others. But I still really liked it.
The NXT 33 was next to get cut, mostly just because my preference was for the Bowtech over the NXT.
Decisions, decisions! Down to the Carbon Mach 1 and the Realm SR-6. Interesting that they are two very different bows... the most different of the original 6 in my opinion.
The PSE is just LIGHT! And for such a light, fast bow it really is nice to draw and shoot. Although of all the bows I tried, the draw cycle does feel the most aggressive, at least to me. But it is still smooth, has a nice back wall and holds really well.
Of all the bows, the Bowtech was easiest and smoothest to draw. I felt like it had the least hand shock and vibration after the shot of any of the bows I tried as well. I liked the grip, just not quite as well as the Hoyt, and the feel in hold was also the best. You can release pressure gradually and it doesn’t try to run away. As John comments in his video about a couple bows, it almost feels like you have to “push” just a tiny bit to come off the back wall. I really like this for a hunting bow.
In the end I chose the Bowtech Realm SR-6! I just fell in love with that bow. At one point I actually thought I was going to buy the Mach 1. In my opinion it is the best carbon bow ever built. But when I self-analyzed, I knew I would enjoy shooting the SR-6 more and I would also shoot it better. I’ve never owned a Bowtech bow or a PSE and I have no preference of one manufacturer or another, so in that respect I really have no bias. And in the end the Carbon Mach 1 is about $500 more. If not for the Bowtech I think I would have bought the Mach 1, but I think I am going to be glad I bought the Bowtech ;)

I would love to hear what any of y’all decided on if you’ve purchased bows recently and how your experience has been with the various new bows out in the last year or so, and what your set-ups look like in the way of sights, arrows, heads etc.
Now to find the deer and elk...

I’ve spent the past several months reading & watching reviews, talking to friends and ultimately shooting bows. In the end the only absolute truth seems to be that there has never been a better time to be shopping for a hunting bow! They are all so damn good!
One of the most helpful reviews I found was by our friend John Lusk @Bowhuntr64 here on AH. Thanks John! Here’s a link to his 2020 bow battle video.
https://www.africahunting.com/threa...ews-vs-bowtech-vs-pse-vs-elite-vs-bear.54279/
After a lot of research and consideration about the details that matter most to me, I narrowed my choices down to a measly half dozen or so. And started shooting those bows!
They included:
PSE NXT 33
Hoyt Carbon RX-4
Hoyt RX-4
Mathews Vertix
Bowtech Realm SR-6

I liked every single one of them! but the first two to drop out of the running were the Hoyt Carbon RX-4 and the Mathews Vertix. The Hoyt because the PSE Mach 1 won out as my preference between the two carbon bows, and I never fell in love with the Mathews. Just personal feel on the Vertix, nothing I didn’t like, just liked some of the others a little better.
Of the four remaining bows I felt like the Hoyt had the best grip, I really liked the grip on the Hoyt. The Carbon Mach 1 was incredibly light and I love that for a backcountry hunting bow not to mention being blazing fast. The NXT 33 held really well on target and was very nice to shoot. The Realm SR-6 had the most appealing draw cycle and best back wall.
Of those remaining four bows I cut the Hoyt RX-4 next. The RX-4 had a little more hand shock and vibration and I didn’t like the draw cycle or back wall/valley quite as much as the others. But I still really liked it.
The NXT 33 was next to get cut, mostly just because my preference was for the Bowtech over the NXT.
Decisions, decisions! Down to the Carbon Mach 1 and the Realm SR-6. Interesting that they are two very different bows... the most different of the original 6 in my opinion.
The PSE is just LIGHT! And for such a light, fast bow it really is nice to draw and shoot. Although of all the bows I tried, the draw cycle does feel the most aggressive, at least to me. But it is still smooth, has a nice back wall and holds really well.
Of all the bows, the Bowtech was easiest and smoothest to draw. I felt like it had the least hand shock and vibration after the shot of any of the bows I tried as well. I liked the grip, just not quite as well as the Hoyt, and the feel in hold was also the best. You can release pressure gradually and it doesn’t try to run away. As John comments in his video about a couple bows, it almost feels like you have to “push” just a tiny bit to come off the back wall. I really like this for a hunting bow.
In the end I chose the Bowtech Realm SR-6! I just fell in love with that bow. At one point I actually thought I was going to buy the Mach 1. In my opinion it is the best carbon bow ever built. But when I self-analyzed, I knew I would enjoy shooting the SR-6 more and I would also shoot it better. I’ve never owned a Bowtech bow or a PSE and I have no preference of one manufacturer or another, so in that respect I really have no bias. And in the end the Carbon Mach 1 is about $500 more. If not for the Bowtech I think I would have bought the Mach 1, but I think I am going to be glad I bought the Bowtech ;)

I would love to hear what any of y’all decided on if you’ve purchased bows recently and how your experience has been with the various new bows out in the last year or so, and what your set-ups look like in the way of sights, arrows, heads etc.

I couldn’t agree more! Thank you for the shout out and encouragement :) I love testing all those bows. I have a bow test playlist on my YouTube Channel, Lusk Archery Adventures, with all the tests there. So glad to hear they’ve been helpful to you, brother. God bless.

I couldn’t agree more! Thank you for the shout out and encouragement :) I love testing all those bows. I have a bow test playlist on my YouTube Channel, Lusk Archery Adventures, with all the tests there. So glad to hear they’ve been helpful to you, brother. God bless.
You betcha! Keep doing those reviews (y)

They included:
PSE NXT 33
Hoyt Carbon RX-4
Hoyt RX-4
Mathews Vertix
Bowtech Realm SR-6

Unless I missed something in your report, the Vertix is Mathews' 2019 bow. The VXR is the 2020 model from them and a considerable upgrade.

Reactions: BWH
Unless I missed something in your report, the Vertix is Mathews' 2019 bow. The VXR is the 2020 model from them and a considerable upgrade.

IMG_2936.jpg

This is a screen shot from the vid. Not sure what you are referencing. I did test the Vertix in my 2019 Bow Battle, but as you can see, I tested the VXR this year.

Good catch Marius! And sorry to have created confusion. This is not the first time I’ve fumbled the names or designations (n) More than once I have criss-crossed RX-4 and SR-6. All the names and alpha numeric designations of more than a dozen bows is a bit bewildering and befuddling at times!
However! :) A friend of mine has a Mathews Vertix. We’ve discussed the bow multiple times. I seem to have hard wired my brain to say Mathews Vertix, when in fact what I meant was VXR (n)
Again, sorry for the blunder. Sheesh, I even proof read my post and didn’t catch it.

IdaRam, I haven't looked into new compounds for quite a while. the last one I bought was a Mathews SQ2. Equipped with a Whisker Biscuit my velocity was 296 FPS. What are the new bows doing velocity wise?

I don't bow hunt that much, but hopefully that will change when I retire. I have a 13 year old Mathews Switchback XT and took a P&Y elk and also a whitetail with it on my very first archery hunt in 2007. I see no reason to upgrade equipment at this time.

upload_2020-5-26_9-50-30.png

I don't bow hunt that much, but hopefully that will change when I retire. I have a 13 year old Mathews Switchback XT and took a P&Y elk and also a whitetail with it on my very first archery hunt in 2007. I see no reason to upgrade equipment at this time.

View attachment 349826
I’m with you! Still using my Mathews Drenalin and can’t imagine hunting with something else!

@IdaRam. I have an cheap old PSE to start bowshooting/hunting and to see if I like it. A few years back I bought a Bowtech Carbon Knight. The bow shoot horrible when I test shoot it. In the shop they adjust the bow for my draw length and lower the poundage. It still shoot horrible compared to my old PSE. Then we fit 3 different stabilizers. With one brand name the bow shoot like a dream and the other 2 horrible. So if your desired bow is just off a bit, fit another stabilizer and then shoot it. It might change your mind.

The difficult part is the Arrow rest and sight. For beginners the Whisker biscuit Arrow rest is excellent. It prevents the arrow from falling out while practicing your draw, also good for hunting. It keeps the arrow in the rest while stalking the last few meters or "buck fever". Drawback is it wears down and might damage veins over time.

For sights you must decide between single or multi pin. This sight picture is a personal preference and you'll never get a best option only, only what suits your needs. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
IdaRam, I haven't looked into new compounds for quite a while. the last one I bought was a Mathews SQ2. Equipped with a Whisker Biscuit my velocity was 296 FPS. What are the new bows doing velocity wise?
It really depends a lot on arrow weight and some bow set up factors such as draw length, let-off (most new bows are variable between 70%-90%), and “comfort” or “performance” setting. Longer draw, less let off and performance setting all increase velocity over their respective reciprocals. All that said, 296 fps out of your bow is darn respectable. I haven’t had a chance to shoot mine over a chronograph yet, but will soon. I’ll come back and post set up details and actual velocity on mine, but I imagine it will be right in the neighborhood of 300 fps???

View attachment 349826
Nothing wrong with that bow at all, and it is obviously working well for you! Congrats on that P&Y elk! Heck of a way to break in a bow :D

@IdaRam. I have an cheap old PSE to start bowshooting/hunting and to see if I like it. A few years back I bought a Bowtech Carbon Knight. The bow shoot horrible when I test shoot it. In the shop they adjust the bow for my draw length and lower the poundage. It still shoot horrible compared to my old PSE. Then we fit 3 different stabilizers. With one brand name the bow shoot like a dream and the other 2 horrible. So if your desired bow is just off a bit, fit another stabilizer and then shoot it. It might change your mind.

The difficult part is the Arrow rest and sight. For beginners the Whisker biscuit Arrow rest is excellent. It prevents the arrow from falling out while practicing your draw, also good for hunting. It keeps the arrow in the rest while stalking the last few meters or "buck fever". Drawback is it wears down and might damage veins over time.

For sights you must decide between single or multi pin. This sight picture is a personal preference and you'll never get a best option only, only what suits your needs. Good luck.
Hi BigJohn, thanks for your insights. I’m with you on the rest and sight. I’ve used a Whisker Biscuit on my last two bows and see no reason to change. Not having to worry about an arrow coming off the rest at the least opportune moment is worth a lot!
In addition to the WB, I went with the Spot Hogg Hunter sight. The philosophy being simple is best and something solid and high quality in a sight just makes sense and suits me best.
I chose the Tight Spot 5 arrow quiver.
Arrows - I’ve been shooting Victory Archery VAP’s in my old bow and I really like them. So I went with 350 spine RIP TKO’s with the +50gr insert. I haven’t weighed them yet, but should be about 420 grains with a 100 gr head. I’ve been using Wac-Em 100 grain 3 blade heads, but going to do some experimenting and see what I like best.
So for now anyway, that’s my set up :)

IdaRam, thanks for supporting my use of the Whisker Biscuit. My primary use of a bow in those days was for hunting. Keeping an arrow in place while in a tree stand was worth more to me than a couple of feet per second. At 77 I can no longer draw my Matthews so I do my hunting with an Excalibur Crossbow. I was just curious to see what improvements if any the newer bows brought to the party.

IdaRam, thanks for supporting my use of the Whisker Biscuit. My primary use of a bow in those days was for hunting. Keeping an arrow in place while in a tree stand was worth more to me than a couple of feet per second. At 77 I can no longer draw my Matthews so I do my hunting with an Excalibur Crossbow. I was just curious to see what improvements if any the newer bows brought to the party.
Yeah, some folks wouldn’t be caught dead with a whisker biscuit on their bow and others like you and I swear by them! :) Whether shooting form a treestand or putting the sneak on a mule deer, not having to worry about keeping your arrow on the rest is worth a few feet per second, to me anyway. I know there are a couple drop-away rests that work well in that regard too, I just can’t bring myself to switch from something that has worked so well for so long. We just get old and set in our ways I guess! :ROFLMAO:
As for new bows, some of the things that really stand out to me over bows from just five years ago are the adjustability/tune-ability, smoothness of draw, lack of hand shock and vibration and how quiet they are. Manufacturers figured out how to wring even ounce of speed out bows a while ago but it came at a price. I think a lot of the improvement evolved as they figured out how to make speed more manageable and comfortable. The bow I bought has an IBO speed rating of 352 fps, and it is one of the smoothest bows I’ve shot. Although I currently have it turned all the way down and set on comfort setting as I practice with it and work on learning to shoot it well.

Count me as another fan of the Whisker Biscuit. So simple and effective.
Now I’m going to admit to a personal prejudice on some bows that I developed so long ago I can’t really justify. I don’t like split limbs. Somehow twenty or so years ago I got it in my head that having four limbs on a bow increased the chances of malfunction. So I stuck with solid limb bows. When the parallel limb bows started coming out it was probably the look of the Mathews Switchback that really grabbed my attention. Then they put out the Slim Limbs and I really liked those. As soon as I shot the Drenalin in the shop I was in love and bought it. That was in 2008 and I’m still loving it. Now Mathews has gone the way of almost all of the big companies and their bows are split limb, so they must be pretty good! But my little Drenalin with his Slim Limbs will stay with me till my hunting days are over!
And congrats on your new bow!

Count me as another fan of the Whisker Biscuit. So simple and effective.
Now I’m going to admit to a personal prejudice on some bows that I developed so long ago I can’t really justify. I don’t like split limbs. Somehow twenty or so years ago I got it in my head that having four limbs on a bow increased the chances of malfunction. So I stuck with solid limb bows. When the parallel limb bows started coming out it was probably the look of the Mathews Switchback that really grabbed my attention. Then they put out the Slim Limbs and I really liked those. As soon as I shot the Drenalin in the shop I was in love and bought it. That was in 2008 and I’m still loving it. Now Mathews has gone the way of almost all of the big companies and their bows are split limb, so they must be pretty good! But my little Drenalin with his Slim Limbs will stay with me till my hunting days are over!
And congrats on your new bow!
Thanks Ragman! I appreciate it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btcbuyerapp

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,