AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
QDMA, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, North America, New Zealand, South America, Europe
I don't bow hunt that much, but hopefully that will change when I retire. I have a 13 year old Mathews Switchback XT and took a P&Y elk and also a whitetail with it on my very first archery hunt in 2007. I see no reason to upgrade equipment at this time.

That Mathews Switchback is an iconic bow. I had one for many years and handed it down to my nephew. It remains to this date as arguably the smoothest drawing, most forgiving, and quietest bow of all time.

Tra3

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I shoot a Bowtech carbon Icon from a few years ago. My bow Shopping experience made me realize that most bows of a similar price point are very good. There will always be small tweaking to get any bow to shoot just right for each person.
Swapping the cams from the comfort to performance setting was a big difference. I’m a 5 pin sight user.

Tell me if I’m wrong, but it doesn’t seem that bow technology is improving much. I think they are so good already that there isn’t much new that will change things.

Buffalo1

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Pope & Young Club; DSC; SCI; Ms Bowhunters Assoc
Hunted
The Switchback XT is the "57 Chevy" of bows.

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
I love me some whisker biscuits myself but we are talking about archery equipment here. on a bow I like a drop away rest if nothing but to ease my mind that nothing is touching my arrow fletching on a long poke at the Mule deer of a lifetime in the high desert of AZ.
I agree with everyone’s love of the switchback, it was the favorite bow I’ve ever owned and accounted for a lot of elk meat in my freezer. Without an archery tag in my pocket, I stay out of the bow shops because I know that a new model will replace my Heli-m if I walk through the doors. I often think about having a nice recurve built just because. Maybe my next good elk tag will push me over the edge.
Glad you found a new bow Dan, I wish you the most successful season this year and that your arrows fly straight and true!

IdaRam

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, NAHC Life Member, SCI, DSC, Wild Sheep Foundation, NSSF
Hunted
Idaho, Montana, Utah, Wyoming, California, Alberta Canada, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I love me some whisker biscuits myself but we are talking about archery equipment here. on a bow I like a drop away rest if nothing but to ease my mind that nothing is touching my arrow fletching on a long poke at the Mule deer of a lifetime in the high desert of AZ.
I agree with everyone’s love of the switchback, it was the favorite bow I’ve ever owned and accounted for a lot of elk meat in my freezer. Without an archery tag in my pocket, I stay out of the bow shops because I know that a new model will replace my Heli-m if I walk through the doors. I often think about having a nice recurve built just because. Maybe my next good elk tag will push me over the edge.
Glad you found a new bow Dan, I wish you the most successful season this year and that your arrows fly straight and true!
Thanks Cody! You too :) I agree with you, bow shops are just like gun shops. Can’t walk out without dropping a bunch of coin!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EzekielRob

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.