1st Cape Buffalo Hunt South Africa recommendations

Hello,

I am looking for some contacts in order to research a Cape buffalo Hunt in South Africa , I have hunted most or all of the Plains game in South Africa on 8 different trips throughout the Eastern cape mostly on very large properties with varied terrain and lots of bush. I am not considering areas that are within the Malaria zones, I have tried taking 3 different Malaria preventatives in the past while in several countries and each time they made me so nauseous and motion sick it ruined my trip, as it is I battle motion sickness while flying or driving. I feel comfortable in South Africa and know what to expect.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. A large property +10,000 acres would be the very minimum the larger the property better and yes I know they will be fenced, with a mix of some open areas and bush, I dislike hunting in large open areas with no cover. Higher areas of elevation for glassing is also prefered.
  2. Must have a sized breeding herd of buffalo with several bulls to chose from.
  3. Budget is 10000-15000 USD all in for 7-10 days of which 2 days with be arrival and departure
  4. What I am looking for is an old grey battled scarred Buffalo with wide hard boss just past their prime with a good curl/drop/spread, if the tips are worn or slightly broken off that is fine. 40 inches range.
  5. Spot and stalk only I have zero interest in spending all my time banging around in a Hilux or Cruiser. I am fit and capable of walking miles if needed.
  6. I need to rent a quality rifle 375 H&H with quality ammo from the outfitter and would need to spend time at the range to be confident before going out. I will not travel from my location with a rifle again after the last trip and the hassle I went through.
  7. Trip Would take place in Either Mid October of this Year or Mid April-End of April 2025
  8. It would be preferred if the Outfitter/PH is the owner if the property and its a smaller outfit- one group at a time.
  9. I will consider other provinces but if and only if they are not swamp/wet/malaria areas and meet the about criteria.
  10. A PH who is prepared to work hard to succeed and carefully and properly judge the animals based on experience as opposed to shooting the first animal or a younger animal that should be left to breed and spread its genes
  11. I have no interest in taxidermy.
Please feel for to PM me whether you are an outfitter or another hunter with size of property and response to my points

Thanks very much in advance

Bradley
Contact Alex Goss at Blackthorn Safari and tell you would like to hunt Sandy Mount for Buffalo. It is located in the Free State and is 50,000 acres. They have a self sustaining buffalo herd with some of the best buffalo I've seen anywhere. I shot a 43" bull there last year and it certainly wasn't the biggest one I saw there. It is a wonderful place and I can't say enough good things about the place or Alex Goss. You can read my hunt report on here from May of 2023. Feel free to contact me if you would like more information. Good luck

Hello,

I am looking for some contacts in order to research a Cape buffalo Hunt in South Africa , I have hunted most or all of the Plains game in South Africa on 8 different trips throughout the Eastern cape mostly on very large properties with varied terrain and lots of bush. I am not considering areas that are within the Malaria zones, I have tried taking 3 different Malaria preventatives in the past while in several countries and each time they made me so nauseous and motion sick it ruined my trip, as it is I battle motion sickness while flying or driving. I feel comfortable in South Africa and know what to expect.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. A large property +10,000 acres would be the very minimum the larger the property better and yes I know they will be fenced, with a mix of some open areas and bush, I dislike hunting in large open areas with no cover. Higher areas of elevation for glassing is also prefered.
  2. Must have a sized breeding herd of buffalo with several bulls to chose from.
  3. Budget is 10000-15000 USD all in for 7-10 days of which 2 days with be arrival and departure
  4. What I am looking for is an old grey battled scarred Buffalo with wide hard boss just past their prime with a good curl/drop/spread, if the tips are worn or slightly broken off that is fine. 40 inches range.
  5. Spot and stalk only I have zero interest in spending all my time banging around in a Hilux or Cruiser. I am fit and capable of walking miles if needed.
  6. I need to rent a quality rifle 375 H&H with quality ammo from the outfitter and would need to spend time at the range to be confident before going out. I will not travel from my location with a rifle again after the last trip and the hassle I went through.
  7. Trip Would take place in Either Mid October of this Year or Mid April-End of April 2025
  8. It would be preferred if the Outfitter/PH is the owner if the property and its a smaller outfit- one group at a time.
  9. I will consider other provinces but if and only if they are not swamp/wet/malaria areas and meet the about criteria.
  10. A PH who is prepared to work hard to succeed and carefully and properly judge the animals based on experience as opposed to shooting the first animal or a younger animal that should be left to breed and spread its genes
  11. I have no interest in taxidermy.
Please feel for to PM me whether you are an outfitter or another hunter with size of property and response to my points

Thanks very much in advance

Bradley
Hi Bradley,Ihave read your request for a Buffalo hunt in South Africa and believe we at Safari Co Africa tick all the right boxes that will put you on track for a bespoke hunt with us.Safari co africa is a well established concern with over forty years of hunting experience in africa .We are located approximately two houers drive from Johannesburg in the Vredefort Biosphere area in the Freestate province. The ranch is approximately 12000 acres and offers a mix of thick bushveld and open savanna plains which accommodate a large variety of game including a sizeable herd of buffalo bulls that will definately fit your description. Our lodge is rustic,but comfortable befitting the true hunter and includes a well stocked bar, en suite rooms and all the creature comforts required.Our Ph's are well trained experienced walk and stalk individuals as well as our recovery teams and skinners which will ensure that your trophy is to your satisfaction. last but not least our cuisine is typicle South African which is world renowed.!We can offer you this hunt for Us$ 12500.00 and your Buddy for Free all inclusive! Kindly contact me if you have any questions. Please reply to austin@safaricoafrica.com Tel +27828881708. Regards Welsh Wienand

One thing I should clarify about the type of buffalo is age, hard wide boss, amount of drop is more of a priority than spread. I only stated around 40 inch as a guideline. I am attaching a couple of photos of Buffalo to illustrate what I mean, I am looking for a buffalo that drops enough so that the tips are more or less even with the boss , hard wide boss, worn tips . If I see several buffalo over a 7-10 day trip and the one I shoot is 36-37 inches and looks anything like one of these I would be thrilled. In other words I am not going to get out my tape. But in saying that with package hunts the pressure in on to shoot a Buffalo, I am not going to shoot the first one I see. So please know this before even considering any offers.

I have had a few PH's reach out to me that perhaps misunderstood my goals I would extend my trip by several days if needed, and pay the day rate for that. I know with hunting it can sometimes be easy, but other times its far from it. You may be better to quote the Trophy fee, day rate and it takes as long as it takes.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Here are few shots of some plains game I have hunted not the biggest-inches , but tips are out and worn off , missing teeth battle scarred with no hair left on their neck. I walked for miles and miles day after day sometimes in steep areas in the middle of no where to the point where my legs nearly buckled to get these animals and passed up inches of others for that. hopefully this shows you the kind of hunter I am and what I am after.

Photo 4 resze.jpg
561_original.jpg
blogpost4-600x315h.jpg
6503882683_431a7fff9c_b.jpg
DSC01280.jpg
DSC01124.jpg
DSC00338.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0538.jpg
    15 MB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0691.jpg
    17.7 MB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
May I suggest that you reach out to Rumano De Beer at RDB Safaris in the Limpopo province of SA. This is out of the Malaria zones and may be a really good fit for you. https://rdbsafaris.co.za

Besides Limpopo, they operate other sites in Free State, Eastern Cape and Botswana.

One thing I should clarify about the type of buffalo is age, hard wide boss, amount of drop is more of a priority than spread. I only stated around 40 inch as a guideline. I am attaching a couple of photos of Buffalo to illustrate what I mean, I am looking for a buffalo that drops enough so that the tips are more or less even with the boss , hard wide boss, worn tips . If I see several buffalo over a 7-10 day trip and the one I shoot is 36-37 inches and looks anything like one of these I would be thrilled. In other words I am not going to get out my tape. But in saying that with package hunts the pressure in on to shoot a Buffalo, I am not going to shoot the first one I see. So please know this before even considering any offers.

I have had a few PH's reach out to me that perhaps misunderstood my goals I would extend my trip by several days if needed, and pay the day rate for that. I know with hunting it can sometimes be easy, but other times its far from it. You may be better to quote the Trophy fee, day rate and it takes as long as it takes.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. Here are few shots of some plains game I have hunted not the biggest-inches , but tips are out and worn off , missing teeth battle scarred with no hair left on their neck. I walked for miles and miles day after day sometimes in steep areas in the middle of no where to the point where my legs nearly buckled to get these animals and passed up inches of others for that. hopefully this shows you the kind of hunter I am and what I am after.

View attachment 608035View attachment 608040View attachment 608041View attachment 608042View attachment 608043View attachment 608045View attachment 608046
I’ve hunted with Safari Co Africa and think they'd meet your criteria. If your hunt is like mine, you’ll cover a lot of miles, all on foot, and see a lot of animals. I walked more hunting with them to get my buffalo than I did in Zim.

@BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS have a couple of great buffalo properties. I’ve hunted Madikwe twice and it’s truly special. Wonderful tented camp with a waterhole in front of the dining tent. Taking tracks at first light, Sometimes from directly in front of the camp. You’ll work for it, but that’s proper hunting. Have a look at some of the reports. The buffalo on that property are incredible.

@BAYLY SIPPEL SAFARIS have a couple of great buffalo properties. I’ve hunted Madikwe twice and it’s truly special. Wonderful tented camp with a waterhole in front of the dining tent. Taking tracks at first light, Sometimes from directly in front of the camp. You’ll work for it, but that’s proper hunting. Have a look at some of the reports. The buffalo on that property are incredible.
Thanks for the kind words Dan! Wait until you see some of the bulls we've hunted this year! Simply unreal!

What about something in the greater Kruger? More or less free range. Very low malaria risk, especially if you go in winter.

It’s some of the best buffalo hunting anywhere.

I’m not sure who all is hunting there now. I went through another outfitter but we hunted an area controlled by Bush Africa Safaris.

thanks for that post, I've been to RSA a few times but learning every time I read something from our hunters or our outfitters. I will be more forefront with ideas like this on my next visit to Africa.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
789bet188biz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!