Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
I've just returned from shooting geese in Scotland with my Browning 525; although I enjoyed using it, I'd prefer to have something which is a bit more rugged and capable of taking abuse without me worrying about the oiled stock, blueing etc.
There don't seem to be too many side by sides or over & unders that fit the bill, so I'm considering either a pump action or a semi-auto, ideally with 3.5 inch chambers.
I would like a well-made gun, and am thinking of a Benelli Supernova, a Winchester SX3 or a Franchi Affinity. I'd welcome your views or recommendations for alternatives. I am about 6'2" tall, so am used to a long stock on my Browning.

I think the Benelli Supernova is an excellent shotgun. I hunt sea ducks every year in Kodiak with mine and it has performed flawlessly. It fits me, its really easy to dissemble and clean, and didn't break the bank to purchase. It's a really good all around durable shotgun in my opinion.

I love the supernova!! It is my main go to shotgun and it has killed a little bit of everything!

I have done a fair bit of waterfowl hunting in MN. If you like the browning they do make a double barrel in 3.5 that is syntgetic or camo. I don't know your budget but if your used to your 525 that would be similar.
The x3 is a great gun, you can pick up a used x2 for about $400 cheaper than a new x3. The chokes you would use for the brownings and Winchester are interchangeable both invector plus.
Benelli and franchi are made by the same company. In my opinion if your a browning man go with the Winchester it will fit and function more to what you are used to. Althoigh all 3 are nice I prefer the win. Best of luck.

I use a cheap Mossberg 935 and it really softens the sting of those 3 1/2" and even cycles 2 3/4" loads. It is overbored which supposedly shortens the shot column and drop at the comb is fully adjustable for long and short necks. I couldn't be happier. Cheap reliable and shoots well. But what do I know I'm a rifle and handgun guy

Back when I hunted waterfowl (when real shot was legal) I used a 12 ga 2 3/4", 1 1/2oz loads for geese; 1 1/4oz loads for ducks and never felt undergunned. the hunting involved either traveling by boat to a blind or walking across a field. The gun was encased until in the blind so it wasn't exposed to abuse. Now that there are shot options approaching real shot for effectiveness and not damaging to barrels, I would feel safe in taking the old shooting irons back to the blinds without needing to use a beater or a synthetic model.

For what it's worth....A couple years ago a group of 9 of us went pheasant hunting in South Dakota. It's was cold, like 2deg f, cold. We had lots of shooting action over 4 days with many different makes and styles of shotguns. The only shotguns that did not have trouble of some kind during that hunt were the Benelli autoloaders and pumps, and Beretta O/U. I learned more about other guys Browning and CZ shotguns than I ever wanted to know...

Supernova will do, or any shotgun that is parkerized will work such a an old reliable Remington 870

I have a super x 2 , Great gun, 3 1/2 inch 12 gauge magnum, smooth shooting

I do a lot of duck & goose hunting. I have hunted with just about everything.... depending upon your price point. The Browning Maxus @ $1000 is probably the best value & performance.

I have to say I'm pretty biased on this topic. I'm a Benelli guy to the core. They have several synthetic guns with 3.5 chambers and they are the best semi auto's I've ever shot. My favorite is my Benelli Ethos. That's the best shotgun I've ever owned but it's not the synthetic model. The super Vinci's are excellent waterfowl guns.

Can't go wrong with anything from Benelli. I shoot a SBE 2 and have zero issues.

I shot a 12 ga Beretta 686 Oynx exclusively for waterfowl. It is a rugged, heavy, workhorse of an O/U that killed geese in Washington state, Alberta and South Africa. I painted the stock a flat brown and light black and it went threw the ringer.

I developed an elbow issue and had to set my beloved 686 aside and picked up a Beretta Extrema II. That was also an incredible gun.

You just can't beat a Beretta.

IMG_0049.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Browning guy, when it comes to shotguns. Love my new Browning A5. It is inertia operated (like the Benelli's) and has a 3.5 inch chamber. No hiccups from mine yet, though it was just christened yesterday for the opening day of waterfowl season. The tally was up to 17 ducks and 9 geese when I left the pit yesterday afternoon. I've run several boxes of shells through it shooting clays as well. My father had a Benelli SBE a few years back that could not make it through a box of shells without jamming once, but I believe that one was just a lemon. Benelli's are definitely the most common brand in the duck blinds / goose pits around here, but I've never felt that I was at a disadvantage with one of my Brownings. My advice would be to go to a store that stocks both Browning and Benelli, and buy what feels best in your hands.

The patterns on 3.5" 12 bore guns are atrocious. The shot stringing and intense recoil negate the benefit of the additional shot charge. How about a good 'ole 3" gun with quality loads? A bismuth load at $3 a pop is pricey but I assure you, you'll drop more birds.

My go-to guns are a ten bore, 1-1/4 ounce load, 2.5" chambered J. Lang sidelock fowling gun. It has killed many a passing overhead goose at 70 yards up and it patterns beautifully with its regulation load. When I want to be a cheapskate I use my Union Armera (Garbi) 12 gauge 3" gun with heavy metal 1-1/4 ounce loads of steel/bismuth duplexed. Again, it gets the job done at all ethical distances to the max. You're not gaining anything by a heavier shot charge because the pattern gets pretty awful as does the string length.

Today, Americans are literally shooting shotgun loads for fowl that are GREATER than the 8 bore loads used by poacher/professional market hunters in ages past. No one seems to get that correlation....a 3.5" 12 bore or 3" ten bore are shooting more metal, faster than an 8 bore market gun. Total overkill +placebo effect.

Great point about the market guns! I still like 3 1/2 inch loads though but I'm a recoil addict.

I read a while back an article by Phil Bourjaily from Field & Stream where he measured the shot strings of the 3.5" shells using a high speed camera and it was concluded that there is not perceivable difference in shot strings between the different length shells. Take it with a grain of salt if you must, but there it is. I like to stick to 3" for waterfowl just to save my shoulder.

As far as guns go, no one ever said that their Benelli Super Black Eagle II was not rugged enough. It is one hell of a gun. I personally use my Beretta Extrema II far more.

Benlli SBE2 is very good gun - reliable and shoots good. Used one for ducking hunting several years w/ no problems

Benelli Super Eagle can't be beat!. I'm pretty sure the Duck Commander clan endorsed this shotgun few years ago in a Benelli advertisement. Best auto loader I've ever used and comes apart for cleaning easily and goes back together easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg