ZIMBABWE: Bliksem!

wonderful report. Makes for an exciting memory.............as hunting should be. Too bad you couldnt find anything but some old sap-wood for those rifle stocks (lol) .....Beautiful guns.........FWB

Oh so glad it all turned out so well! I guess Terry is having his gun fixed or is replacing it.
What an adventure and some fine trophies!

Was Terry Anders the PH? He hunted Savuli several years ago.

Well Congrats on a proper buffalo hunt in a proper place with a proper array of guns! I like the part about the buffalo running out of blood and hate, have seen that before also but you phrased it better. I think I know that cow elephant, ran into her last summer in the Save. She thought better than pressing her attack, but the safety was already off when she turned away. Glad it turned out ok, but that's not the way you want to test yourself or your ammunition. Thanks for posting the report, hope to see you in Dallas.

Wow, great adventure you all had. Glad to hear the PH made out with only some sore ribs!

It was not a problem. They were pretty pragmatic about it.

Amazing story, very nice trophies and thank god all turned out well. Congratulations.

Holy Cripes! What an amazing hunt. If I was in your buddy's shoes, the camp laundry staff would've had some extra work that night! Congrats on your adventure and glad everybody was ok!

@WAB and @cbvanb ,

It was great to meet you both and I hope to see you in Dallas! Visiting with you was a great way to end a safari!

And what a story on the elephant....

I was in the breakfast area before Bill and Bruce when this guy comes in and asks about them. At this point I haven't met them. Well, guy says if I see them to tell them he's going to the doctor and will be back when he can. Ok. I can do that. Well... The guy was Terry and he was going to doctor to have his ribs checked out from the elephant charge, but wanted to let the guys know first!

Yeah... PHs are tough. Terry even made it back before I left and I got to talk to him a bit. To say that he and his family were blessed that day is an understatement.

What a hunt! I wonder if he changed his underwear before going to the doctor. You know what they say about clean underwear. :D

Congrats for a very exciting hunt !

Not sure I could add anything Bill, that was an excellent write up. The second buff hunt was the best hunting I have ever had in Africa, going back over 20 years. Our original PH, Terry Anderson, was excellent, and especially when working with my wife he was very patient. I took the second buffalo with Frans van der Merwe, a friend of Bills, who originally came to hang out with us in camp. He has a sixth sense about buffalo and what they will do from one moment to the next, and he kept counseling patience as we worked the edges of the herd. In the end the credit for taking the second buff is mostly his, and I will not book another hunt in Africa without first checking to see if he can fit us into his schedule. Terry Anderson will be the second call I make if Frans is not available.
As for the night of the elephant attack, I sincerely believe it is only through the grace of God that any of us survived. When the elephant came for my wife and me, I thought she had already killed Terry and wanted more blood. I could have shot then, when she was 20 paces away, but I didn't think the .375 softs I had in my rifle would do any good. As we moved around to the back side of the tree my wife asked me, "what's the plan?". There wasn't any plan, there was nowhere to go. When the cow rounded my side of the tree the only thought I had was create a diversion long enough for my wife to get away. I had badly injured my hamstring when we first ran from the elephant, and I wasn't going to be running anywhere. I reached up and rested the muzzle on her head, just above the trunk, and as I pulled the trigger I told Pam to run. I hobbled about 20 feet or so, expecting any moment to feel a couple tons of elephant crashing down on me, and when that didn't happen I looked back to see her laying on her side, just past the tree, finished. I thought she might be stunned, not dead, and we kept running until we came to a large stone outcropping, full of trackers that had run at the first charge. I was shocked when Terry came hobbling up a few moments later, badly shaken but alive.
All in all, it was the most exciting night I have had in Africa. Until that night I had 5 elephants to my credit, and as a personal decision I wasn't ever going to shoot any more. After the attack I have reconsidered that decision!
After leaving Zimbabwe Pam and I spent a pleasant 4 days hunting plains game in Eastern Cape of South Africa, before heading for home. We have another plains game hunt booked in Limpopo for next year, and then Bill and I, with our wives, are headed back in 2019 for 4 buffalo. The adventure continues!

Incredible.

Not sure I could add anything Bill, that was an excellent write up. The second buff hunt was the best hunting I have ever had in Africa, going back over 20 years. Our original PH, Terry Anderson, was excellent, and especially when working with my wife he was very patient. I took the second buffalo with Frans van der Merwe, a friend of Bills, who originally came to hang out with us in camp. He has a sixth sense about buffalo and what they will do from one moment to the next, and he kept counseling patience as we worked the edges of the herd. In the end the credit for taking the second buff is mostly his, and I will not book another hunt in Africa without first checking to see if he can fit us into his schedule. Terry Anderson will be the second call I make if Frans is not available.
As for the night of the elephant attack, I sincerely believe it is only through the grace of God that any of us survived. When the elephant came for my wife and me, I thought she had already killed Terry and wanted more blood. I could have shot then, when she was 20 paces away, but I didn't think the .375 softs I had in my rifle would do any good. As we moved around to the back side of the tree my wife asked me, "what's the plan?". There wasn't any plan, there was nowhere to go. When the cow rounded my side of the tree the only thought I had was create a diversion long enough for my wife to get away. I had badly injured my hamstring when we first ran from the elephant, and I wasn't going to be running anywhere. I reached up and rested the muzzle on her head, just above the trunk, and as I pulled the trigger I told Pam to run. I hobbled about 20 feet or so, expecting any moment to feel a couple tons of elephant crashing down on me, and when that didn't happen I looked back to see her laying on her side, just past the tree, finished. I thought she might be stunned, not dead, and we kept running until we came to a large stone outcropping, full of trackers that had run at the first charge. I was shocked when Terry came hobbling up a few moments later, badly shaken but alive.
All in all, it was the most exciting night I have had in Africa. Until that night I had 5 elephants to my credit, and as a personal decision I wasn't ever going to shoot any more. After the attack I have reconsidered that decision!
After leaving Zimbabwe Pam and I spent a pleasant 4 days hunting plains game in Eastern Cape of South Africa, before heading for home. We have another plains game hunt booked in Limpopo for next year, and then Bill and I, with our wives, are headed back in 2019 for 4 buffalo. The adventure continues!

Incredible story. Thanks for sharing the experience.

What a story! Any ideas why the rifle misfired? As exciting as it all was I wouldn't mind knowing what went wrong in the first place in order to make sure it doesn't happen to my rifle.

A minor correction, Terry’s last name is Anders, not Anderson. Stupid spell check!

What a story! Any ideas why the rifle misfired? As exciting as it all was I wouldn't mind knowing what went wrong in the first place in order to make sure it doesn't happen to my rifle.
My suspicion is that in all the excitement the safety didn’t come fully off. The rifle worked fine both before and after the incident.

Dang that could of turned into a full on disaster. Congrats on putting the soft where it made a difference! More excitement than what anyone bargained for. Some nice buffs you guys got. Congrats and thanks for sharing.
Bruce

Amazing adventure, congratulations to all. I hunted next door to Savuli on Mokore a couple of years ago. Plenty of elephants with bad attitudes.

A minor correction, Terry’s last name is Anders, not Anderson. Stupid spell check!

Good to hear of Terry hunting Savuli again!!

What a story. Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Congrats on your adventure and trophies!

How dare you!!! For your information, do you know how it's posts like this that really anger me to no end!!!
How can I now survive my regular hum drum, normal life destroying shift work, night to day life while thinking about that sort of mind blowing, spine tingling experience.
Unbelievable, and thank God no one was hurt or killed, and I really do mean that.
I truly hope everyone is O.K. in every way.

I'd wager that in time, that will be one of the most cherished moments of your lives.
Best post I've ever read, no kidding.
I'm so jealous, I think?
Might have had a glass of wine or two before writing this so please forgive me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkdagasv388

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg