Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

My dad took a giant kudu with his .243 in 2007. In was a poor shot and ran a long way but they found it right before we left on the last day
@Wiley64
I personally wouldn't use a 243 on anything bigger than an angry field mouse. You were very lucky to find your kudu.
Bob

The 243 is an awesome coyote caliber. Similar size varmints fix, etc.
A good deer gun with a properly built bullet if you pick your shots.
@93marlin
The 243 is a great deer gun no matter what bullet you use but there's a caveat
Use only PAPER deer targets and practice with the 243.
Then take a proper rifle out for deer and leave the 243 home for little critters.
Bob

Tasmanian Devil; they might only be little fellas, but they have the aggro of a rabid wolf... the Aussie D/G we need to beware of are the drop bears ...
Especially the Lord Nelson specie of drop bears. I understand they have bigger fangs than the common type?

Especially the Lord Nelson specie of drop bears. I understand they have bigger fangs than the common type?
Yep, bigger fangs than the common. And you should see some of the eggs they lay...f'n HUGE!!! :ROFLMAO:

7x64/7x65r
.375H&H
.416Rigby

I presume that we are talking rifle cartridges only so:

30-06 The go anywhere, do anything cartridge

30-06 A death ray on deer

and of course, the 30-06, which is a great cartridge in and of itself...

But seriously folks, I also like the .308 (30-06 Kurz) and the .308 Norma mag (30-06 magnum).

I'll have to let my son know he can't hunt deer with a .243 anymore. lol.

IMG_0183.jpg
IMG_0184.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. All the thousands of deer killed every year with the .243 never got the memo either I guess. Dumb deers!
That young man of yours has gotten some beauties with that rifle that “Isn’t big enough”!

My vote..
22 Long rifle. I would say the Mag, but I killed more animals with a 22LG than anything.
7mm mag- I was on the fence between the 7mm and my 308.
375 H&H- Best all around caliber in my opinion. If I owned a 404 J, then this might take the spot.

If the question was for 4 I would include the 250/3000 in a model 99 of course. I have said it before and will say it again. The model 99 is best offhand rifle and a tack driver.

By game taken it would have to be 7mm rem mag. I have taken probably 200 animals from raccoons to kudu and waterbuck with it.But now I gravitate to my .375 Ruger and I can’t leave out the venerable old 30-06 as third.

Yep, bigger fangs than the common. And you should see some of the eggs they lay...f'n HUGE!!! :ROFLMAO:
@BeeMaa
You is a silly Vegemite mate Drop Bears don't lay eggs. The platy duck does. Drop bears are dead set dangerous and to be avoided at all cost. They fear no human

@TXhunter65
Congratulations to the young man he has been taught proper shot placement and bullet selection that a lot of people using that horrible little round need to learn. A lot of them can shoot well but have no idea on bullet selection hence end up with wounded game.
Again well done young man your dad has taught you well.
Bob

@BeeMaa
You is a silly Vegemite mate Drop Bears don't lay eggs. The platy duck does. Drop bears are dead set dangerous and to be avoided at all cost. They fear no human
Oh yeah, I forgot about the platypus. The male has a poisonous spur that has enough venom to kill a human. Another “fun” Australian animal to keep for a pet, right behind the Tasmanian Devil! LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,