Your 3 favorite hunting cartridges of all time

@TXhunter65
Congratulations to the young man he has been taught proper shot placement and bullet selection that a lot of people using that horrible little round need to learn. A lot of them can shoot well but have no idea on bullet selection hence end up with wounded game.
Again well done young man your dad has taught you well.
Bob
Thank you Bob! All in good fun. He's been very fortuante and made 4 outstanding shots All four fell within sight, the furthest going about 40 yards, and all the shots were kept between 80-140 yards.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the platypus. The male has a poisonous spur that has enough venom to kill a human. Another “fun” Australian animal to keep for a pet, right behind the Tasmanian Devil! LOL
@CoElkHunter
We have dome truly lovely animals out here the just want to eat,bite,sting, poison or just plain kick the shit out of your if you annoyed them. And they are the cute cuddly ones

I have to say, if SOME of you Aussie's would use a 243 instead of an antiquated cartridge (like a 35 Whelen for example)those drop bears probably wouldn't be an issue! Just sayin'...
@93marlin
The 243 is hopeless against Drop Bears and besides that they are a protected native animal not to be hunted.
The Whelen may be antiquated but at least it works.

@TXhunter65
Congratulations to the young man he has been taught proper shot placement and bullet selection that a lot of people using that horrible little round need to learn. A lot of them can shoot well but have no idea on bullet selection hence end up with wounded game.
Again well done young man your dad has taught you well.
Bob
I agree., here here.... What caliber is he moving up to?

Now, I am not one to stir sh** up. But I was told at a very young like 9 or 10 that a 243 was not allowed on the ranch. BTW it was not ranch but my best friends. I do not know why my best friend dad (might as well my second father) hated them, but I follow the same logic today. I truly cannot understand the 6mm craze.

Thank you Bob! All in good fun. He's been very fortuante and made 4 outstanding shots All four fell within sight, the furthest going about 40 yards, and all the shots were kept between 80-140 yards.
@TXhunter65
When he gets a bit older introduce him to the 25-06. A very much under appreciated cartridge that shoots flat and hits hard out to a deer busting 500 yards. The bullets I like in the fast 25s are 100gn TTSX, 117grain SST. I am trying the 115gn nosler balistic tip at the moment. Our gun writer Nick Harvey is having great success with the 110gn ELDX on game at the moment. The 25s have the recoil of a kittens caress and give the 270 a run for its money.
Bob

@93marlin
The 243 is hopeless against Drop Bears and besides that they are a protected native animal not to be hunted.
The Whelen may be antiquated but at least it works.
If I was being truly honest, I would say the Whelen is a really good caliber. There are a lot of newer cartridges that have the same ballistics and capabilities as older cartridges.
As for myself, on of my favorites is one of the 1st. The 11.2x60R, in one of my doubles the 11mm Mauser has taken 3 black bear for me. One shot each. The Whelen is an awesome medium bore!!
I must have had one too many "adult beverages" to put that in print...

I agree., here here.... What caliber is he moving up to?

Now, I am not one to stir sh** up. But I was told at a very young like 9 or 10 that a 243 was not allowed on the ranch. BTW it was not ranch but my best friends. I do not know why my best friend dad (might as well my second father) hated them, but I follow the same logic today. I truly cannot understand the 6mm craze.
In the next few years, he'll move up to a 7mm-08. His sister is 8 this year and has spent a lot of time on the BB gun, air rifle, .17, and .22LR, this year will begin her turn with the .243 and her first shot at a deer.

Yep. All the thousands of deer killed every year with the .243 never got the memo either I guess. Dumb deers!
That young man of yours has gotten some beauties with that rifle that “Isn’t big enough”!
Thank you @Ragman, he's been fortunate and has put in a lot of hours working in the off season and hunting during the season.

If I was being truly honest, I would say the Whelen is a really good caliber. There are a lot of newer cartridges that have the same ballistics and capabilities as older cartridges.
As for myself, on of my favorites is one of the 1st. The 11.2x60R, in one of my doubles the 11mm Mauser has taken 3 black bear for me. One shot each. The Whelen is an awesome medium bore!!
I must have had one too many "adult beverages" to put that in print...
@93marlin
I have liked the Whelen for a long time because of its abilities. Then I learnt to load it properly and it has been bought into the real world with most loads giving 4,000 fpe of muzzle energy with almost every projectile I have used. Turns it into a modern day belt less magnum.
Bob

@93marlin
I have liked the Whelen for a long time because of its abilities. Then I learnt to load it properly and it has been bought into the real world with most loads giving 4,000 fpe of muzzle energy with almost every projectile I have used. Turns it into a modern day belt less magnum.
Bob
I have recently purchased a Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375rcm.
It's a lefty and that's the main reason I bought it.
So far I really like the beltless case.

I've got pictures for ya @Bob Nelson 35Whelen...
22lr
1657992163882.png

300WM
1657992195402.png

375H&H
1657992219140.png

If money was no object I would order the following.

Bockdrilling first one
12ga/9.3×74R/7×57R 24 inch for brush hunting
Second set of barrels
12ga/7×65R/6.5x57R 26 inch for the more open areas

I will almost keep the 500 Jeff for the DG

My favorites, if limited to three, are not the most versatile but they are the ones I use most often.

.22LR
.30-30 Winchester
20 gauge
Talk about getting up close and personal with your quarry. I commend you. Especially in today’s world of long range craze. Also, I find that I mostly end up grabbing my 30-30 when hunting locally, even though I have a nice collection of bolt rifles. I can never quite wrap my head around that one, and it’s kinda always perplexed me as to why. Maybe it’s all those westerns I watched. Apparently we are both of the mind of “that is all I need to get the job done”. Out to 150 yards there is no denying the ole 30-30 is that good. Ironically, when it came out in the 19th century it was the speed demon of its day. I like your list of 3 favorites.

Last edited:
Talk about getting up close and personal with your quarry. I commend you. Especially in today’s world of long range craze. Also, I find that I mostly end up grabbing my 30-30 when hunting locally, even though I have a nice collection of bolt rifles. I can never quite wrap my head around that one, and it’s kinda always perplexed me as to why. Maybe it’s all those westerns I watched. Apparently we are both of the mind of “that is all I need to get the job done”. Out to 150 yards there is no denying the ole 30-30 is that good. Ironically, when it came out in the 19th century it was the speed demon of its day. I like your list of 3 favorites.

The ole 30-30 in a light lever action is quite quick handling and nice to carry. I shot a lot of game from rabbits to pigs with mine. I can understand why you gravitate to it.

Talk about getting up close and personal with your quarry. I commend you. Especially in today’s world of long range craze. Also, I find that I mostly end up grabbing my 30-30 when hunting locally, even though I have a nice collection of bolt rifles. I can never quite wrap my head around that one, and it’s kinda always perplexed me as to why. Maybe it’s all those westerns I watched. Apparently we are both of the mind of “that is all I need to get the job done”. Out to 150 yards there is no denying the ole 30-30 is that good. Ironically, when it came out in the 19th century it was the speed demon of its day. I like your list of 3 favorites

The ole 30-30 in a light lever action is quite quick handling and nice to carry. I shot a lot of game from rabbits to pigs with mine. I can understand why you gravitate to it.
@Rule 303
I got rid of mine after putting the trigger thru my finger. Forgot to take it out of the lever in the heat of the moment. Shit it hurts. I now just have a little model 92 to have fun with at the range.

@Rule 303
I got rid of mine after putting the trigger thru my finger. Forgot to take it out of the lever in the heat of the moment. Shit it hurts. I now just have a little model 92 to have fun with at the range.

Bod, then the Browning Lever Action is for you :giggle:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you