Woodleigh Hydro for buffalo?

Probably seen over a hundred buffalo sink very rapidly when shot with the 180 grain Hydros. And some more with the 300 grain Hydros and 570 grain Hydros. It’s a brilliant bullet.
Only because I know you...

Your level of experience with water buffalo (and the Woodleigh Hydro) far exceeds the number of deer most Americans will shoot in a lifetime. Unfortunately that kind of knowledge and experience is not transferable to traveling hunters looking to take cape buffalo in Africa. Keep pluggin' those bad boys down under my friend.

For a buff hunt in Zim I have a 9,3x62 I would like to use. I have loads for both the Woodleigh 286 gr PP and the 286gr hydro capped bullets.

What is your recommendation for first shot on a Buffalo?

I have read that the Hydro does a lot more soft tissue damage than normal solid bullets, and can be used for a first shot on a buff. Especially since it’s at the min energy coming from the 9,3?

Or use the 286 PP for first shot then Hydro as back up?

(my PH is a new native operation and no experience with the Hydro thus I’m asking AHF)
@wildwilderness
I haven't hunted buffalo but plan on using my 35 Whelen on scrub bulls loaded with a 310gn woodleigh round nose at 2,455fps.
Maybe a 320 gn round nose soft pointwoodleigh hand loaded to 2,400fps in your 9.3 would be a better option and if needed followed up with 320gn solid
Just my 2 cents but what do I know I ain't hunted buffalo.
The said I would do it with the Whelen loaded with 310s given the chance and not think twice about it.
Bob

Anybody else thinking, that if the PH doesn't know whether or not to tell me to bring/shoot hydros first shot...maybe...I'm going to bring a bigger gun?

I'd bring hydros because you might need them. Make sure that they're well indicated in your cartridge belt with either special position and possibly color the case heads with sharpie or load them in brass vs. nickel cases.

Remember that shoot-throughs count and cost having solids for following up may cost you a shot on a fleeing animal with others in proximity.

@wildwilderness
I haven't hunted buffalo but plan on using my 35 Whelen on scrub bulls loaded with a 310gn woodleigh round nose at 2,455fps.
Maybe a 320 gn round nose soft pointwoodleigh hand loaded to 2,400fps in your 9.3 would be a better option and if needed followed up with 320gn solid
Just my 2 cents but what do I know I ain't hunted buffalo.
The said I would do it with the Whelen loaded with 310s given the chance and not think twice about it.
Bob
I already have the .366” bullets in 286gr in the PP and the green capped Hydro same weight loaded up to 2500 fps which meets the min energy and caliber requirements in Zimbabwe.

Based on the responses I will have a PP in for the first shot then most likely try the Hydros.

We have 3 hunters and 2 rifles (and a bow) for the Safari. The other rifle is a 375 Ruger with 300 gr TSX which I am sure will be fine. I do want to use the 9,3 though just because I can.

Most likely I will have results to report in a couple months!

I already have the .366” bullets in 286gr in the PP and the green capped Hydro same weight loaded up to 2500 fps which meets the min energy and caliber requirements in Zimbabwe.

Based on the responses I will have a PP in for the first shot then most likely try the Hydros.

We have 3 hunters and 2 rifles (and a bow) for the Safari. The other rifle is a 375 Ruger with 300 gr TSX which I am sure will be fine. I do want to use the 9,3 though just because I can.

Most likely I will have results to report in a couple months!
The Woodleigh PP's open up slower than the RN's. I have used the 300gr PP's in my 375 H&H to take Buffalo, Sable, Eland & Blue Wildebeest all with one shot. They performed in a stellar manner. You wont have any issues with the PP.

I have used the 400gr RN in a 404 Jeffery (they don't make a PP in that calibre) which also works fine at the lower velocities of that calibre. I load it to the classic 2150fps and its just wonderful to shoot. Technically more recoil than a 375 but does not feel like it and it just hits with a almighty wallop! Used the Jeffery on my last trip and I shot 2 Cape Buffalo & a monster of a Roan. Shot the Roan right in the point of the shoulder at about 60m and the bullet was not pretty but still retained 66.5% weight and the Roan was of course dead! The bullet from the buffalo had gone through the shoulder. Yes, I was surprised that hitting that point on the shoulder was a tougher ask of the bullet that going through a buffalo shoulder from broadside.

CapeBuffalo 404Jeffery.jpg
Roan 404 Jeffery_A.jpg
Roan 404 Jeffery_B.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly recommend having a discussion with your PH and ask what his recommendation is regarding this. It’s your hunt, but he’s responsible for the safety of everyone in the hunting party.

I highly recommend having a discussion with your PH and ask what his recommendation is regarding this. It’s your hunt, but he’s responsible for the safety of everyone in the hunting party.
This sounds like it's shaping up to be an adventure. It's probably a good time to tag along for PG with a Lott or bigger...

Have had success with 180PP in 300 wm on a doz plains game, all one shot bar an Oryx which was PPP from me. Also downed an old Eland with a 180 hydro. Had to wait on the shot due to pass through concerns. Massive internal trauma on the Eland

Shot 2 water buff in NT with 400g 404 RNSN. Both single shot, broadside. First did not take a step second went about 10m.
1 also killed with 375 H&H 300g PP,Followed up with a hydro.

1 scub bull 400g hydro broadside and follow up with same, Texas rear end job.. Both full pass through.

The 180 WMs were the lower BC .308 PPS doing 2880.

Anybody else thinking, that if the PH doesn't know whether or not to tell me to bring/shoot hydros first shot...maybe...I'm going to bring a bigger gun?

I'd bring hydros because you might need them. Make sure that they're well indicated in your cartridge belt with either special position and possibly color the case heads with sharpie or load them in brass vs. nickel cases.

Remember that shoot-throughs count and cost having solids for following up may cost you a shot on a fleeing animal with others in proximity.
No, I'm not worried about it, neither is the PH at this point. I have spoken to other PH's at this point who do favor following up with solids. I have killed a cape buffalo with a bow and arrow, as have many friends and know they die like anything else with proper placed shots.

I am specifically looking to use the 9,3 on this hunt, as many have before with no problem.

I told my PH that along with the 9.3 Mauser I'm bringing 300 gr. A-Frames.
He said don't bother bringing any solids.

I did buy a box of the Hydros. I may just bring them and leave them there.

I wonder if the Hydro works better with more velocity. The shockwave would be bigger. maybe thats why the 180s mentioned on Aus buff works well. I'm sure its going a lot faster than a big bore would push them.

I wonder if the Hydro works better with more velocity. The shockwave would be bigger. maybe thats why the 180s mentioned on Aus buff works well. I'm sure its going a lot faster than a big bore would push them.

Yep, those 180s are out of a .300H&H, and I’ve also loaded them for a bloke with a .300WM. The shopkeeper loaded some that I gave him for his .308 and was impressed. The 150s out of the .30-30 are not as empathetic but still massively up the game for the little lever-action.

No, I'm not worried about it, neither is the PH at this point. I have spoken to other PH's at this point who do favor following up with solids. I have killed a cape buffalo with a bow and arrow, as have many friends and know they die like anything else with proper placed shots.

I am specifically looking to use the 9,3 on this hunt, as many have before with no problem.
Well then you should go and enjoy. The way you've phrased it up until this point sounds like a lot of untested moving parts. I'd have my follow-up shot down pat and make sure my reloading of the magazine was in order.

Everything dies with properly placed shots. Were you in a treestand with the bow hunt? What kind of setup did you use? Modern or traditional?

My go to for water buff as well. Especially in small calibres. I generally drop to a lighter weight and push them hard. Ie 308 150 gr works better than the 180. Ive recovered a few hydros from length way shots.
with my doubles I run a hydro in the left barrel and a all copper , TSX ACP in the right. Poor angle the hydro gets shot. Very good hunting projectile.
The 286 may be too long for the 9.3x62 so try the 232 hydro they work well on bulls.
Only complaints would be the over penetration on side on shots.
Here's some pics cheers Mick
HS Rigby 275 140gr hydros
gQTHqY.jpg

fieldcraft 308 150 hydro
fkZ9sS.jpg

Mr Wu 9.3x62 232 hydro
JXNmwz.jpg

404 400gr hydro
VJiM9x.jpg

fieldcraft 308 180gr hydro
E8ZnHS.jpg

fieldcraft 308 180gr hydro
q1a74K.jpg

286gr hydro 9.3x74
qi9Gcn.jpg

hydro lump in front leg middle of pic
5DjEnh.jpg

cut open 286gr hydro
QbBMTA.jpg

45m length ways shot bulls neck to opposite rear leg, second at 15m exit rear leg 286gr hydro 9.3x74
yuN4Om.jpg

recovered rear leg from bull above
20hGNi.jpg

232 hydro 9.3x62
apUGQW.jpg

275 140gr hydro
TB4EJm.jpg

404 400gr hydro
NZ4Qk8.jpg

recovered from bull above near balls, entry in neck down in 4 steps
x4kA5H.jpg

try again
232 hydro 9.3x62
apUGQW.jpg

275 140 hydro

TB4EJm.jpg

404 J 400gr hydro entry in neck to balls front on , down in 4 steps
NZ4Qk8.jpg

recovered 400gr from bull above
x4kA5H.jpg

Last pic of bull was a 270 gr ACP, sorry!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg