Women as Professional Hunters; What's with that?

This is what is required in Zim (From another post by the former Chair of the ZPHGA)

First you attach your self to a PH and do a minimum 2 year apprenticeship,
pass the learners exam ( written ),
and then you will need to have the following before you will be considered for the practical exam.

Zimbabwean ID or residence permit
Receipt of payment for the practical
Current ADVANCED first aid certificate ( 5 day course )
Letter from your tutor stating that he feels you are ready for the practical.
Log book complete with photographs.
Completed and passed the mandatory shooting test ( held twice/ year )
Minimum 2 years in Zimbabwe with an LPH
Minimum 2 year apprenticeship in Zimbabwe under a fully licensed professional hunter.
5 dangerous game animals shot in Zimbabwe yourself after obtaining your LPH

Once you have the above , you attend the interview and hopefully you will be invited to attend the 7 day practical which is held once / year.
The Practical is run by the JEC, joint examination committee, National parks and ZPHGA.

Pondoro, I will agree I hate machismo in hunting, BUT bravery is vital, if she/he isn't brave, no way they going to face a buffalo or some other dangerous animal.

I think a lot of the points now in the post are not worth arguing or trying to make valued and will leave the post to those that know better.

Reactions: Ado
Hunting is not a sport, game or competition.
It has nothing to do with bravery or machismo.
You look for animals, kill them and eat them or take the trophy - that's it.

There is always people that travel to destinations where it's rough, it can for sure be a challenge to find specific species, this is when you as ph should top priority the safety issues..

If you are a explorer you love it, if you are a "homeboy" stay away from the danger and go for a Namibian pg safari, eat what you shoot will you probably do on both of the places...

I will do as TMS, leave this subject for people that know.

Gordon...you are evasive to what I say. I would love to hunt DG several times a year. I have no problem with the danger in a hunt. The only thing preventing me to hunt DG often is purely cost..

So spare me for your mocking comments..

Hunting DG require the client to take certain risks...that is part of the game..

My point is that to bring paying clients into areas that are potentially dangerous ie risk of tackling insurgents etc. is dubious practice....poaching activity...yes....that must be accepted in certain areas as part of the experience.

This is my last comment here.

This has been an interesting thread, although a couple of times I had to make certain which forum I was reading.

Travel through the countries (and in general most of Southern Africa) I have hunted and spent time is very safe. When was the last time you heard of a client being attacked by locals while on safari? The last attack I heard was in Tanzania and the PH was murdered by poachers. That was 2 or 3 years ago.

Everybody has their opinions. Gordon feels strongly about the subject based on what I assume is a lifetime of experience in Africa. While my big friend's remarks can be very condescending and I do not agree with everything he writes, I do understand his points about women being PHs in some situations. When I booked to hunt the Congo most of the PHs I talked to at the show thought I lost my mind. Some thought it would be a great adventure. Not even all male PHs have the same risk tolerance.

As mentioned, I am booked to do a foot safari in the Congo. We were to leave in June of this year but the outfitter had a medical issue so we are going next year. It will be a hunt basically without a PH, that part does not bother me. The difficult part is the travel, basically four-five days each way by car, boat, and foot from the airport to the hunting area. There are very few people I would entrust my life to in that situation.

On the other hand I would rent a car and drive anywhere in Zim or Botswana. The other drivers scare the hell out of me in Mozambique.

Hunting to me is much more than "You look for animals, kill them and eat them or take the trophy - that's it.".

The day I am not excited to go hunting, whether it is ducks in Louisiana, buffalo in Congo, or Roan in Zambia, I will sell my firearms and take up golf.

Most of this conversation has been very good. There is nothing wrong with pushing people and making them uncomfortable, sometimes you can actually learn something.

This has been an interesting thread, although a couple of times I had to make certain which forum I was reading.........................

:E Happy::E Rofl::E Rofl:

I see some good points in that a PH should be able to safeguard the client, but really....if the area is so dangerous that it requires soldier skills...should hunting clients be brought in ..?

I have the military skills to protect myself with a G3, AK, FN FAL....but that is beside the point here..

Do you really want to bring paying clients into something resembling a war zone..??

According to what some write in this thread, it for sure sounds like they bring clients into a war zone...

Woods, just to clarify, I would never take clients to a war zone, this happened to us over 1500km away from my area, it happened to us on our way up from South Africa to camp.

According to what some write in this thread, it for sure sounds like they bring clients into a war zone...
Whats the trophy fee for a combatant who shoots at you?(n)(n)(n)

Ado, can be everything from 20 years in prison to a personal sign diploma... depend of the local police chief to decide !! :D:D:D

Last edited:
And remember, it was likely his favorite brother-in-law that was shot!!!

Woods, just to clarify, I would never take clients to a war zone, this happened to us over 1500km away from my area, it happened to us on our way up from South Africa to camp.

All good :)
I have been in some shitty places in my life and have experienced a few attempts on my life, so I don't expect any PH, man or woman to protect me if sh*t happens.
Hopefully I am still capable to do that myself :)

Ado, can be everything from 20 years in prison to a personal sign diploma... depend of the local police chief to decide !! :D:D:D

I guess it all depends on how much you are willing or able to pay in bribes as well in many situations...

Women as Professional hunters? - My only concern in rural Africa is that men do not respect women and here you may experience problems. Being a PH in wild Africa has very little to do with guns and proficiency but more about management and logistics and generally women excel in this department.

When was the last time I fixed a tyre or lifted shit? Thats kids stuff and at my age I now surround myself with people who do those chores.

Hunting is all about experience and I would rather go into the long grass with a qualified female than some hairy chested 'when we'.

Andrew,

If we come visit in August make sure you shave your chest hair. And for me, it is never "when we" it is always "when I". :)

You
Andrew,

If we come visit in August make sure you shave your chest hair. And for me, it is never "when we" it is always "when I". :)

Like 'when I' purchase the first round of beer?

That sounds good. The first round is on me!!

yes I do anti-poaching, patrol the river and work as part of the ZAWA team, to change a a wheel I have had to modify my wheel spanner so i have a longer rod for leverage....and as far as respect goes... this is earned not given, and in Zambia traditionally people follow the matrichal line.. we have woman chieftainesess, and i have certainly been in situations where understanding the culture, speaking the local language and being a woman has had far more advantages than being a young man with way too much testosterone ! In zambia do the apprentice ph system, which I totally agree with, if PHAZ did not think I was capable to hunt I would not have got my license, I agree some men would prefer to hunt with another man but also think if a woman goes into this industry it is with total passion.

me and the team.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Patsy, now you just need to learn to down a bottle a night of Klipdrift, might just be over qualified then. Like a lot of us have said, there are woman that are suited to hunting/ph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg