Wild Quail Cancellation Hunt Huge Savings

thriller

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NWTF, NRA, DU, SCI and QDMA
Hunted
Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
@ gizmo was it a Magnum PI tv sequel audition going on out there?

Rob404

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, Member Minnesota Horse and Hunt,,Caribou Hunt Club
Hunted
Illinois,Wisconsin,Michigan Limpopo Province South Africa
Have Fun and post some Pics

siml

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SOUTH AFRICA, BOTSWANA, NAMIBIA, ZIMBABWE, MOZAMBIQUE, ENGLAND, U.S.A
@gizmo I nearly posted pinky in his shorts but @Royal27 needs some slack.....

@Ridgewalker you more than going to meet the Captain!!!!

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
Travel day 1. I spent last night in Picture Canyon (Comanche National Grasslands). Freaking cold...13F! My camper heater stopped each cycle for less than a minute!
My GSP and I did go for a walk after meeting a couple who just walked the canyon with their Vislas looking for scaled quail. It was about an hour before dark, so we walked pretty fast trying to get to the painted rocks. Too dark for pics. Thought if we climbed up top to walk back it would be faster and might find some birds...NOT! No place to climb down!
We had to backtrack and drop down where we climbed up. Now getting pretty dark as we walked the trail back to the camper, I heard quail chirping! Then I heard and spotted two flying toward the chirps. Exciting, but freezing, so we hurried back to the camper for dinner and an evening wine.
I forgot to turn the heater on before we started our walk, so it was 24F inside! Within 20 minutes it was up to 60F. I worried all night that with the heater running so much, the batteries wouldn't last. Worked out fine.

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Got up before daylight and headed out. Saw only 3 rabbits on the 20 mile dirt road back to the highway at Campo, CO. Amazed that was all!
Then shortly after getting into Texas, a coyote grabbed a road killed rabbit and headed across a railroad track in front of me. Next a covey of bobwhites were picking gravel on the shoulder between Stratford and Dumas! OK, now the excitement is building to go hunt these tiny "buggers"!

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
The country south of Amarillo is flat as an IHOP pancake! Heading east the earth collapses as I drop off the Caprock.

IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
There's a drive in theater, Midway! My mind steps back to my childhood of the first drive in movie I ever saw. My uncle who was a test navigator on the B-58 bomber took my sister and I to see "No Time For Sargents" with Andy Griffith.

IMG_1563.JPG

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Passing through Turkey, TX and the last stretch I see a couple of road runners two of the many I'm going to see.
I come to the electric gate and drive to the cabin where Gizmo and my guide, Justin come out to greet me. A quick burrito lunch and off we go in the Mule to see more quail than I have ever seen in my life! Amazing what happens when you get rain in arid country!
This place has a year around stream flowing through the south end of the 2,000 acres. There's a couple of nice lakes with trees in the water on one side perfect for the bass and bluegills in it! The land has lots of structure with deep ravines, "watch your step", you could easily hide a semi in. Tons of deer paid little attention to us. Several fine bucks and some up and comers for a few years out. The hogs have made a mess in almost every field. Winter wheat is popping out in several of the fields now. The exotics seemed much more spooky than the mulies.

IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Today I just hope my little Arrietta 20 gauge can find the mark.
Coffee time!

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Great description of the ranch!

Told you there were lots of quail! :)

Ridgewalker

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Royal27, You were absolutely right! I grew up in TX and quail hunted quite a lot, but I think you could put all those coveys I hunted together and there's still more just on Gizmo's place. I am so amazed! My old GSP and I will be worn out by the end of today I'm certain!

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Agree!

You're gonna be tired. :)

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
I love the Rockin G. Would love to go back.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Would love to have you back.

Don't worry. I'll definitely be back. But right now I'm in full-on saving for Africa mode! Hope to make it to the Eastern Cape in 2018.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
Hunted
Don't worry. I'll definitely be back. But right now I'm in full-on saving for Africa mode! Hope to make it to the Eastern Cape in 2018.
I understand and am in the same boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorothyMob

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?