Wild Quail Cancellation Hunt Huge Savings

@ gizmo was it a Magnum PI tv sequel audition going on out there?

Have Fun and post some Pics

@gizmo I nearly posted pinky in his shorts but @Royal27 needs some slack.....

@Ridgewalker you more than going to meet the Captain!!!!

Travel day 1. I spent last night in Picture Canyon (Comanche National Grasslands). Freaking cold...13F! My camper heater stopped each cycle for less than a minute!
My GSP and I did go for a walk after meeting a couple who just walked the canyon with their Vislas looking for scaled quail. It was about an hour before dark, so we walked pretty fast trying to get to the painted rocks. Too dark for pics. Thought if we climbed up top to walk back it would be faster and might find some birds...NOT! No place to climb down!
We had to backtrack and drop down where we climbed up. Now getting pretty dark as we walked the trail back to the camper, I heard quail chirping! Then I heard and spotted two flying toward the chirps. Exciting, but freezing, so we hurried back to the camper for dinner and an evening wine.
I forgot to turn the heater on before we started our walk, so it was 24F inside! Within 20 minutes it was up to 60F. I worried all night that with the heater running so much, the batteries wouldn't last. Worked out fine.

Got up before daylight and headed out. Saw only 3 rabbits on the 20 mile dirt road back to the highway at Campo, CO. Amazed that was all!
Then shortly after getting into Texas, a coyote grabbed a road killed rabbit and headed across a railroad track in front of me. Next a covey of bobwhites were picking gravel on the shoulder between Stratford and Dumas! OK, now the excitement is building to go hunt these tiny "buggers"!

The country south of Amarillo is flat as an IHOP pancake! Heading east the earth collapses as I drop off the Caprock.

IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1559.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a drive in theater, Midway! My mind steps back to my childhood of the first drive in movie I ever saw. My uncle who was a test navigator on the B-58 bomber took my sister and I to see "No Time For Sargents" with Andy Griffith.

IMG_1563.JPG

Passing through Turkey, TX and the last stretch I see a couple of road runners two of the many I'm going to see.
I come to the electric gate and drive to the cabin where Gizmo and my guide, Justin come out to greet me. A quick burrito lunch and off we go in the Mule to see more quail than I have ever seen in my life! Amazing what happens when you get rain in arid country!
This place has a year around stream flowing through the south end of the 2,000 acres. There's a couple of nice lakes with trees in the water on one side perfect for the bass and bluegills in it! The land has lots of structure with deep ravines, "watch your step", you could easily hide a semi in. Tons of deer paid little attention to us. Several fine bucks and some up and comers for a few years out. The hogs have made a mess in almost every field. Winter wheat is popping out in several of the fields now. The exotics seemed much more spooky than the mulies.

IMG_1566.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1565.JPG

Today I just hope my little Arrietta 20 gauge can find the mark.
Coffee time!

Great description of the ranch!

Told you there were lots of quail! :)

Royal27, You were absolutely right! I grew up in TX and quail hunted quite a lot, but I think you could put all those coveys I hunted together and there's still more just on Gizmo's place. I am so amazed! My old GSP and I will be worn out by the end of today I'm certain!

Agree!

You're gonna be tired. :)

I love the Rockin G. Would love to go back.

Would love to have you back.

Don't worry. I'll definitely be back. But right now I'm in full-on saving for Africa mode! Hope to make it to the Eastern Cape in 2018.

Don't worry. I'll definitely be back. But right now I'm in full-on saving for Africa mode! Hope to make it to the Eastern Cape in 2018.
I understand and am in the same boat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg