Who uses a 303?

Chris with his 303 sporter
dozAhK.jpg

Rigby Lee 303
ajg1ha.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What ! Lee Speeds leaving NZ with out me knowing, holy heck !

That was bad gunsmithing there, Ive done a few & if the guy knew anything he would of known it was both screwed & soldered, if you look hard you can see where the screws are & drill the heads off before adding heat to the rib, I got one that was ruined like yours (maybe not as bad) & with a days work I got it 90+% & will be fitting it again soon to a H barrel .

Just put a nice Westley Richards barrel onto one of my favorite Speeders & hope to get her out on some thing soon .

Ok thats not so bad it was a BSA Sporter, I have about 5-6 of those to, there are so many types & at the start I only want one !

I remember my Grandfather showing/telling me this:" Do you see the baboon down there (1km away). I will shoot the stone under his arse." And my god, the old man did just that with the peep sight on his old Lee Enfield. Jeez that old geezer could shoot, a lot better than most of us with scopes.
And omg, every 2nd or so shot the magazine plate would just drop down

F6D63E99-99BA-47C9-82AD-22B96E17DCD5.jpeg
I have 2 sporterized SMLE .303’s and this P14. Funny you mention your magazine plate opening upon firing as my P14 does this on occasion with full power loads only. All looks well with the mechanism. Don’t shoot her much but I’ll figure it out …sooner or later!

Send a picture Doug! Never get enough of the No1.
Hi Kevin. I posted this pic in an earlier thread, but here it is again. I found it on Gunbroker. Brand new in the box. Never fired. It shoots great. Can’t wait to put it to use this Fall.
5E06301B-7724-4142-8EA7-7E2AB5397C3E.jpeg

This was my Fathers rifle, its a Parker Hale Custom no 4, its built on a Long Branch no4 mk1 action
i had to rebarrel it as it was used with corrosive ammo it came with 1 5 shot & 1 10 shot magazine
i made an other 5 shot magazine fitted a old Leopold 4x scope the original Parker Hale 4x scope
had gone cloudy its a honest 1.5 moa rifleView attachment 419471
@rdog
I still have an old No1Mk111 SMLE that I like to take out and play with from time to time. I mainly use the old 135gn tipans that I have, they are sheer murder on pigs.
Bob
20200612_140018.jpg

View attachment 419518I have 2 sporterized SMLE .303’s and this P14. Funny you mention your magazine plate opening upon firing as my P14 does this on occasion with full power loads only. All looks well with the mechanism. Don’t shoot her much but I’ll figure it out …sooner or later!
@Prewar Unusual for the floorplate to come open on those old 14s.
I have a 14 and a M17 and never had that problem even with full power Whelen AI loads in the 17.
Bob

Most of the ones I remember were in closets ,behind doors, occasionally over doors and sometimes behind the seats of trucks.
All the ones in my day were working rifkles. I wouldn't be without onesimply because they were/have been such a large part of my early life.

Most of the ones I remember were in closets ,behind doors, occasionally over doors and sometimes behind the seats of trucks.
That was pre 1996 for Australia, some idiot went berserk with an AR15 and the laws were toughened up.

i have 2 303's
we use them fairly regularly, they are actually great calibres for hunting in the bush out to 150m or so.

@Sarg Are you going to post pics of some of yours?

If you mean 303's I have over 30 of them & about half are Lee Speeds & BSA Sporters, not all of them are in 303 how ever ?

Hi Kevin. I posted this pic in an earlier thread, but here it is again. I found it on Gunbroker. Brand new in the box. Never fired. It shoots great. Can’t wait to put it to use this Fall.
View attachment 419525
Beautiful rifle i would love to own one, or one in 30/30 win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg