Who uses a 303?

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
This was my Fathers rifle, its a Parker Hale Custom no 4, its built on a Long Branch no4 mk1 action
i had to rebarrel it as it was used with corrosive ammo it came with 1 5 shot & 1 10 shot magazine
i made an other 5 shot magazine fitted a old Leopold 4x scope the original Parker Hale 4x scope
had gone cloudy its a honest 1.5 moa rifle
IMG_1217.JPG

Last edited:
I recently bought a new, old stock Ruger #1 in 303. Seems to be a good shooter. One inch groups at 100 yards with cheap factory rounds and a 5 power scope. I plan on hunting deer with it this November.

Every house I was in growing up had one, I’ve got a real soft spot for the .303 but haven’t yet found one that works well for a lefty. Id love to find one of the .303 no1s or I may just order a courteney Stalking rifle.

Yes I mess around with a heap of them, mostly Lee Speeds & BSA Sporters, some Martinis .

Thats a nice one you have there & can shoot to, weakest link to good accuracy in a Enfield/SMLE 303 (other than corrosive primer or Cordite frosted barrel) is the proper mounting of a decent scope, most have the crappy PH (Parker & Hale) bases & rings, normally will let you down at some stage !

Never hunted with one but have a very nice and very old original London Small Arms Long Lee factory sporter. Looks just like a Lee Speed, shoots great.

@sestoppelman I have a lot of these "Lee Speeds" and near all are really BSA sporters with a few being LSA sporters which are a little rarer, I had a few of them to but sold them out to keep on one line.

So what I'm saying is what you most likely have is what most people know as a "Lee Speed" can we see a pic (I love seeing them lol )

Had an 1895 in .303. Should never have sold it!

@sestoppelman I have a lot of these "Lee Speeds" and near all are really BSA sporters with a few being LSA sporters which are a little rarer, I had a few of them to but sold them out to keep on one line.

So what I'm saying is what you most likely have is what most people know as a "Lee Speed" can we see a pic (I love seeing them lol )
Here it be.
IMG_2808.JPG

I snagged this at the LGS several years ago, wasnt even sure what it was at first. Came home, looked it up and started shaking.
Went back the next day, still there. Picked it up and was scoping it out, an older gent was hovering around me looking a little nervous. I knew if I put it down it was gone. I held on to it and got out the CC.

The LGS had no idea what it was or its value. Asking price was just over $500 US. I didnt haggle.....

Yes very nice, that is what most people would call a "Lee Speed" sporter, does it have integral foresight ramp ?

I have seen some LSA's with that .

Thank you for posting !
The front sight ramp is actually part of an assembly that is fitted to the barrel. You can see a faint seam line around the circumference about an inch and a half back from the muzzle.

Mine is built on a Long Branch # 4 mk1 action, by Parker Hale in the early 1960s with the
charger guide & rear sight ears milled off. Yes the alloy scope side mount is not good i
made one out of steel & drilled out the action screws to 8x40 it has no sights on its new barrel TSE in Brisbane did the barrel same profile as original

I snagged this at the LGS several years ago, wasnt even sure what it was at first. Came home, looked it up and started shaking.
Went back the next day, still there. Picked it up and was scoping it out, an older gent was hovering around me looking a little nervous. I knew if I put it down it was gone. I held on to it and got out the CC.

The LGS had no idea what it was or its value. Asking price was just over $500 US. I didnt haggle.....
Haha nice pick up that was I reckon, yes one of mine you could see the line but I thought it had been rebarreled & they had reused the full barrel ramp, I saw one on the nett that looked integral but maybe couldn't see the join in the photos ?

rdog yes that has been the stumbling block on the old girls, fitting a nice scope set up, I have a plan on my Lee Speed copy in .405 but been doing it for over 15yrs & only got a couple done or mostly done just now .

I recently bought a new, old stock Ruger #1 in 303. Seems to be a good shooter. One inch groups at 100 yards with cheap factory rounds and a 5 power scope. I plan on hunting deer with it this November.
Send a picture Doug! Never get enough of the No1.

I use a Charles Lancaster lee speed. re barrelled as corrosive ammo used. Couldn't keep the full barrel rib. Kept the original profile. Shoots great with factory and reloads. Preferes. 215 woodleighs.
here s a couple of. pics.
eLC6vQ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work with the old girl @264, what did you do with the old rib bud, as I have a few that need bits like that ?

Sarg, The old rib didn't come of easily . Pinned (blind) in 8 positions as well as soldered. So ruined in the rebarrel process.
Shooting zone in Christchurch has a good supply of Lee Speed bits. We had a good look for parts when we were hunting over there.
Chris picked up a nice Lee sporter from them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg