Who has a blaser?

The radius on the Ruger #1 is 17½" and these sights look a tad closer together. Just curious.
The standard contour 17mm barrel 375H&H front and rear sights are 14" apart, the safari contour 22mm barrel 375H&H has them at 12.5" apart.

I find them perfect for use within 50 yards off-hand or out to 100 yards from sticks. My reality is that the irons are for when a scope will do me little good, like in THICK cover when instinctive shooting is necessary. Other than that and a few other possibilities, the scope stays on.

Truthfully, sight radius has never been an issue, regardless of the firearm I've been shooting.

That is technically true, but the positioning also makes them more forgiving for eyes that are less than perfect - a predominant case I should imagine, considering the average age, among those who purchase them. When you eventually order your bespoke Rigby Rising Bite of Holland Royal ;) , the positioning of the rear sight and size of the front bead is an important consideration. The older we get, the farther down the barrel it needs to be placed.

I should also note, the positioning of the sight on both my R8's and S2's are essentially the same as a Westley Richards .318 and Cogswell & Harrison .318 that happen to be here in the room where I am typing. They are both between the wars rifles. The radius is indeed quite a bit shorter than a No. 1 but the sights do not require a hinge to mount a scope.
You're a funny guy indeed. Those Royal Rigby Bite of Rising Hollands are dear indeed. I had surmised that the position down toward the muzzle offset the shorter radius a bit. Oh the horrid hinged sight that is sized at an imperceptible and impractical proportion.

I do appreciate your time taken in comparison of your various pieces.

You're a funny guy indeed. Those Royal Rigby Bite of Rising Hollands are dear indeed. I had surmised that the position down toward the muzzle offset the shorter radius a bit. Oh the horrid hinged sight that is sized at an imperceptible and impractical proportion.

I do appreciate your time taken in comparison of your various pieces.
I can’t afford one either, but they do worry about the placement of that rear “V” for their clients.

I have several No 1’s and love them. But a folding rear sight can be problematic on a dangerous game rifle - particularly when it is needed and we forget to raise it for a follow-up. Remove the scope from a Blaser and the irons are ready to go.

I can’t afford one either, but they do worry about the placement of that rear “V” for their clients.

I have several No 1’s and love them. But a folding rear sight can be problematic on a dangerous game rifle - particularly when it is needed and we forget to raise it for a follow-up. Remove the scope from a Blaser and the irons are ready to go.
For that level of capital outlay there should be nothing out of perfect regulation.

I have only two #1's both in tropical models. One has had the hinged monstrosity changed out for a V the other has the hinge still in place because my V sights came later than I had mounted the scope. It will also require a front sight change to something large enough to be visible in most hunting situations. The mounting surface chosen I am quite unsure I agree with the engineering of and the factory rings should have come offset. Let us not forget that flip ups, unless they lock up, can be bumped down by circumstances unforeseen.

The R8 does have its glorious Recknagel sights well planned to not impede the mounting of optics. There are some very nice options for that sight picture as well. Many other rifles have their iron sights well planned to accommodate optics and be instantly available upon dismounting the optics. Yea though it is but one of many checks in the box which the little mighty rifle will use to best so many others.

Last edited:
When staring down an animal thousands of pounds bigger than you at 20 yards I wanted the most simple thing possible. A scope a 1x or 2x is easier to use, faster, and less likely to result in a mistake. I am in no rush to use open sights.
I did not know gravity of wanting to avoid an error until the moment itself.

I do have irons in my .375 barrel and 7 mag barrel. They work well out to 100, but I would rather be more precise.
Maybe I’ll change my mind in a few years, but for now I’ll stick with the simplicity of a low power scope on a DG rifle.

Embarrassed to say I own a Luxus R8 with a a 375H&H barrel, a 300RUM and a 6.5PRC custom barrel.
All are accurate to 0.5 MOA or better with great glass and it fits in a 1615 pelican case with a Heym double and is 49.6#. If they weren't so accurate or when combo didn't fit in the 1615 with custom interior the R8 and barrels would go down the road at light speed!
If at any time I couldn't make this work they would be gone and I would be back to my favourite
375 Mod 70 and a double rifle and back to dragging a long gun case all over the world and I've learned thru years to hate a long gun case so bad that I bought a damn R8 and all the ridiculously expensive accessories and put up with the PITA cocking system! to drag a suite case size case with my guns safety inside

Embarrassed to say I own a Luxus R8 with a a 375H&H barrel, a 300RUM and a 6.5PRC custom barrel.
All are accurate to 0.5 MOA or better with great glass and it fits in a 1615 pelican case with a Heym double and is 49.6#. If they weren't so accurate or when combo didn't fit in the 1615 with custom interior the R8 and barrels would go down the road at light speed!
If at any time I couldn't make this work they would be gone and I would be back to my favourite
375 Mod 70 and a double rifle and back to dragging a long gun case all over the world and I've learned thru years to hate a long gun case so bad that I bought a damn R8 and all the ridiculously expensive accessories and put up with the PITA cocking system! to drag a suite case size case with my guns safety inside
I’m sure for the right price, one of the members here would relive you of the burden of owning a R8 and all the barrels and accessories. You can go back to your M70 & DR and be happy as you were before even hearing the name Blaser.

I got into the Blaser sytem in 1999, with a R93 Professional in 8x68S. in the years that followed I bought a lightweigth 270 for mountain hunting, a short 308 for stalking and the driven hunts in Germany,a fast-twist 270 from Bixn Andy for the heavier 277 bullets for my Freestate hunts and a 458 Lott made by Prinz for DG. In 2011 i changed the stock in the Professional Succes version with the thumb hole and Bixn Andy trigger.

For competition purposes I have 3 R8's with various GRS-stocks, two equipped with Bixn Andy trigger, the third with a 2 pound trigger for TR-matches.
I have 3 types of 223 barrels, 2 in 6XC, 2 in 308 and 1 in 338LM., some original Blaser but mostly Bixn Andy.
They all have different twist rates for their specific purposes, some are 24", others are 26" in length.

_D2J4357_038.jpeg
_D3J4431_107.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
That would be a great set if only you had something by Blaser in .243.:A Laughter:

I got into the Blaser sytem in 1999, with a R93 Professional in 8x68S. in the years that followed I bought a lightweigth 270 for mountain hunting, a short 308 for stalking and the driven hunts in Germany,a fast-twist 270 from Bixn Andy for the heavier 277 bullets for my Freestate hunts and a 458 Lott made by Prinz for DG. In 2011 i changed the stock in the Professional Succes version with the thumb hole and Bixn Andy trigger.

For competition purposes I have 3 R8's with various GRS-stocks, two equipped with Bixn Andy trigger, the third with a 2 pound trigger for TR-matches.
I have 3 types of 223 barrels, 2 in 6XC, 2 in 308 and 1 in 338LM., some original Blaser but mostly Bixn Andy.
They all have different twist rates for their specific purposes, some are 24", others are 26" in length.

View attachment 435027View attachment 435028
I have that very same sling and love it.

I have two stock receivers, a Professional and a Classic Sporter. Barrels in 6.5 CM, 7mm-08, .308, 7mm RM, 300 WM, 9.3X62 and .375 H&H. Here are the .308 and the 300 WM:
13A835BE-D385-4A5E-A1D7-A9BD1D05ED1E.jpeg
F44D404F-43FC-40F4-B416-2B9DBB8ED21C.jpeg

I rarely use non-Blaser bolt rifles anymore. The .308 is very handy here in Florida. The 300 WM is my favorite travel-to-hunt rifle, and the .375 served me very well in Africa. (I really need to sell off the barrels I don’t use).

I think of the iron sights as emergency backup sights. My .375 irons are zeroed at 50 yards. Since I shoot carbines and pistols with RDS, I like an illuminated dot in all rifle scopes. Shooting pigs in the Everglades, the targets are low to the ground, moving fast, in and out of sunlight. A scope at 1X with a dot, both eyes open, target-focused shooting was great training for DG.

For a couple of decades, I was a dedicated Model 70 guy. I thought the 3-position safety was the only way to go. So while I immediately took to the R8 action, ergos and trigger, the safety transition was a bit bumpy. Africa convinced me it is a brilliant design. In and out of the truck, in thick bush, after hours of tracking, a second to make a shot; I’m sold.

The configurator is very nice, however I wonder if I am constrained entirely by it?

Who has the ATZL match trigger? How do you like it? Are there other triggers to be had that offer sub 2# pull?

Who has gotten their barrel factory threaded? Are you stuck with metric thread patterns? Seems challenging to fit silencers which are sadly going to become a staple of my arms given the accompanying little ears that follow me about these days.

The configurator is very nice, however I wonder if I am constrained entirely by it?

Who has the ATZL match trigger? How do you like it? Are there other triggers to be had that offer sub 2# pull?

Who has gotten their barrel factory threaded? Are you stuck with metric thread patterns? Seems challenging to fit silencers which are sadly going to become a staple of my arms given the accompanying little ears that follow me about these days.
I haven’t used the ATZL trigger. I think the regular trigger is about 2 lbs, which is where I had my previous hunting rifles set. I’ve been pleased with the Blaser trigger, it is definitely a light pull with no creep.
I haven’t threaded my barrels yet, although I have two suppressors that will be going on soon. After this hunting season I’ll ship them off to whom Blaser USA recommends to have them threaded.
Id suggest calling Bob Turkovich at Cove Creek, he has been great to work with and can give you good advice.

So after further research it appears the atzl trigger is not useable with the larger Magnum calibers due to the switch housing taking away from the available magazine length. Interesting indeed.

Is the trigger pull weight adjustable by the end user? How low can you go?

If you are after 375 and larger, go with the R-8. The largest caliber for the R-93 is the 416 REM. Where the R-8 one can get all the way up to the 500 Jeffery. But the most important thing is, the R-8 has been improved in the lock up to handle the larger calibers. The are several other improvements but the lock up is the most important one in larger calibers.

Ahhh yup. I have an R8 Kilombero in .375 H&H and .300 WM. No complaints at all.*
If you have any questions I'm sure one of us could answer.
My next Blaser will definitely be an R8 suitable for use with a barrel chambered in .243.

* I'm not good looking enough to make a video but I've been told I have nice wood.
@BigSteve57
Mate why ruin a great rifle with a shit caliber like a 243.
You can buy a cheap piece of shit 243 and not ruin the Blaser. At least get some class like a 25/06 or a 257 Weatherby anything but a 243 please.

Hi Forrest Halley, sorry to disappoint you but the Atzl trigger can be used with magnum calibers in the R8 without any problem.
Unless the 338 Lapua Magnum is not a magnum...............
Attached a picture of both types of switch housings, sizes exactly the same!

20211108_084648.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg