Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
British Association of Shooting and Conservation
Hunted
England, Scotland, Namibia and Finland
With a drop of Scottish blood running through my veins, I treat myself to a bottle of single malt every Christmas. This year's choice is Oban 14 year old, and I plan to have my first dram in front of the fire tonight, after a trip out to try for a roe. I'd be interested to hear what other AH members who enjoy a glass of whisky will be sampling over the festive season; slainte!

Last edited:
I have recently been introduced to Writers Tears (Irish whiskey) and Caribou (Quebec). Not classic single malts from the Orkneys but lovely in their own right.

You’ll enjoy the Oban.
Somehow a bottle of Bushmills 21 migrated to the front of the cabinet the other day after feeling ignored. That will be remedied.
Cheers

I use to drink nothing but single malts neat with a water back. As I have gotten older (lucky me to have made it this far!) I get heartburn from scotch. Bummer because I did enjoy it so! Now I prefer two glasses of a red blend wine nightly.
I mostly preferred the less smoky highland single malts except when I had a good heavy grilled fillet of elk, or venison, or antelope, or bear rump, or even (heaven forbid!) beef!

My tastes are admittedly unsophisticated. I just prefer a nice Canadian Blend. A bit of Crown Royal for me.

Then my tastes are REALLY unsophisticated.......to the point of being "trailer trash"! I like Jim Beam "Red Stag".

Paddy Irish whiskey or maybe a glass of Bain's Cape Mountain I found. Not too shabby.
Cheers!

Then my tastes are REALLY unsophisticated.......to the point of being "trailer trash"! I like Jim Beam "Red Stag".

Oh boy....I must really live in the gutter! I don't like the taste of spirits or wine :oops: I'm just a beer drinking Canadian Hoser! :D Beers:

A glass of Dewars - it was the drink of choice for my wife's grandfather who has since passed away. Kind of a Christmas tradition now.

Otherwise a nice 2 finger pour of Oban sounds pretty tasty, a good choice!

Oh boy....I must really live in the gutter! I don't like the taste of spirits or wine :oops: I'm just a beer drinking Canadian Hoser! :D Beers:
I’m right their with you except I do like wine. I’ve tried to like whiskey, scotch, and bourbon but despite my best efforts I can do it. :Yuck: I do however love rum.

Last edited:
If you guys like rum, try to find a bottle of Rhum Barbancourt (15 year) when you can. It used to be almost impossible to find in the US (and I am assuming Canada), but they have been exporting more of it and have a little better distribution chain now than they used to.

Its a relatively inexpensive Haitian rum. I used to buy the 4yr stuff for less than $5 for a 750ml bottle in Port Au Prince and the 15yr stuff used to go for about $12.. Its about double that here in the states though..

Barbancourt is like drinking a rainbow stirred with a unicorn horn... magical! :D

Awhile back I came across an internet ad for high end booze. They had bottles of 20+ year old Scotch for $1200. Yikes.!

I can't afford that expensive stuff, but it's nice to enjoy a good Scotch, and a fine Cigar on occasion

My whiskey tastes arent too terribly high end.. and I tend to change up what I keep in the house quite a bit..

Lately I've been sipping on Angels Envy bourbon, Tullamore Dew Irish, and a couple of times a year I'll take a couple of sips of Macallan 12 when I have a taste for Scotch.

While I've always preferred a good single malt, I was introduced to Dewer's 18 at a scotch tasting at my local liquor store a few years ago and got hooked on it.

As a matter of fact, I cracked open a fresh bottle last night to help me through the holidays.....I don't think one will be enough though! :whistle::)

I am a rum guy. I like Myers Dark but when I went to SA I tried Red Heart Rum and really like it. You cannot buy it here in the USA. I brought one bottle back in 1013 but in 2017 I brought back 5. I save it for special times.............like Xmas and new years.
One day I will open a bottle of Corn Liquor I bought while in college because I liked the jug it came in. It is 42 years old now.

I enjoy any good scotch. Actually, in the cabinet I have a 12 years Chivas Regal and a 15 years Cardhu.

Rums are welcome too, a Pampero Aniversario and a 7 years Flor de Caña from Nicaragua, which I highly recommend.

Wines, yes, of course, red or white, as long as they´re good ;), and I have never refused a cold beer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg