Whisky appreciation

I had no idea there was a whiskey appreciation thread on here. I have found a new home. Ha ha
For this year's deer camp I made a duck fat and fat 2ashed old fashioned with a simple syrup I made from tangerines and brown sugar. It was a little lost on some of the crowd. Ha ha.
I live in West KY so we generally have pretty good access to some of the harder to find bourbons.
We’ve been waiting for you

I swung by Preservation Distillery this weekend for a tour. It’s a nice low key, local operation. They’re at about barrel 7000 after 5 years.
(Heaven Hill does that in a month for perspective)

I highly recommend, especially if you like sweeter whiskies.
DAD378FD-8D5B-4441-A634-7411BE83F03C.jpeg

Good friend of mine bought an old farmhouse and in the cellar under the stairs were 2 wooden crates with sliding tops. Opened one up and it was a full case of wild turkey 101 proof. Tax stamp on the bottle read 1962. That was some of the smoothest bourbon I ever drank. For Scotch I have aquired a taste for Johnny Walker double black. Smoooooth. Both go great with a fine Cohiba cigar after a hard day of hunting.

I can relate to that, had it with Jägermeister, did not drink that stuff for years. But when I got my hunting license I met my nemesis again. Be it in much less quantities...
When finished with air missions we would go to the nrearest Gesthouse and order a goblet 1/8 full yagerneister then filled with dark beer. Never could drink 2 of those.

Tried a new distillery’s bourbon this week:

EFCC9314-CCEB-4B6E-A865-E5C7AC8B2DDF.jpeg

It’s a hot whiskey that needed another year in the barrel. It’s a fun changeup from the former master taster of Old Forester (Zykan), but it’s not really worth the $75 price point. I’ll give ‘em a few more years before I try another batch.

Celebrated the Feast of St. Andrew last evening with some friends. The video shows the available line up for tasting and toasting.

Sorry. Here is the video.

Wild Buck is distilled here in Florida but I don't know if it is distributed elsewhere. It is 100% Rye Whiskey. My go to when I finish Dalmore and want something different.
I NEED some of this. My name sake ! :A Banana:

Buddy sent me this picture. Apparently a hotel in St Louis has a whisky room for testing events etc None of it was for sale :(
47577C8F-D66A-46C7-9661-79FCC07D0A9E.jpeg

Last edited:
The Blantons has been scarce. I live in KY and we usually have a lot of the harder to find bourbons on the shelf here, but I haven't seen a bottle of Blantons in a while.
I will give you a tip that has worked well for me. All of the higher end brands, Blanton's, Pappy, and such have lower end offerings as well. Once a store sells so much of the lower end offerings they are allotted so many bottles of the higher end stuff, which due to the clientele at some of your lower end stores often ends up sitting on the shelf unnoticed. Since most people shopping there are not looking to drop $100 or more on a bottle. So check your local "shady liquor store" I have more than once picked up some high end bottles with usually way less of a mark up. Don't be afraid to haggle a little either, they usually want to get it sold.

I was out of town recently and stopped by the local liquor store for a look at what they may have. I'm a big fan of rye whiskey, but had never heard that Uncle Nearest had gotten in the game. Please forgive me if I'm late to the party for this one, but it's amazing. My wife and I both smell and taste the butterscotch notes and subtle smokey flavor. Incredibly smooth, especially considering it's 100 proof. Probably best after dinner as a dessert drink.
1670357572122.png

I picked up a bottle of Breckinridge last week on a whim. It is a surprisingly smooth whisky.

Good friend of mine bought an old farmhouse and in the cellar under the stairs were 2 wooden crates with sliding tops. Opened one up and it was a full case of wild turkey 101 proof. Tax stamp on the bottle read 1962. That was some of the smoothest bourbon I ever drank. For Scotch I have aquired a taste for Johnny Walker double black. Smoooooth. Both go great with a fine Cohiba cigar after a hard day of hunting.
Coincidentally I picked up on a whim a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 on the way back from the deer processor's last night. Never had it before, and usually drink malt whisky, but really liked it! I do like pairing a whisk(e)y and cigar, but haven't had occasion to smoke one in several years. That needs remedying.

The Blantons has been scarce. I live in KY and we usually have a lot of the harder to find bourbons on the shelf here, but I haven't seen a bottle of Blantons in a while.
I will give you a tip that has worked well for me. All of the higher end brands, Blanton's, Pappy, and such have lower end offerings as well. Once a store sells so much of the lower end offerings they are allotted so many bottles of the higher end stuff, which due to the clientele at some of your lower end stores often ends up sitting on the shelf unnoticed. Since most people shopping there are not looking to drop $100 or more on a bottle. So check your local "shady liquor store" I have more than once picked up some high end bottles with usually way less of a mark up. Don't be afraid to haggle a little either, they usually want to get it sold.
Thats exactly how I ended up with this gem from my local store.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@BourbonTrail, it’s really nice. Can’t remember price but it’s really tasty. Don’t like the peaty or medicinal tasting Scotches. Quite smooth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg