Whisky appreciation

Bourbon? Four Roses. Easy drinking.

Or, come for a visit, and I can take you around the distilleries for you to figure out your favorite ;)

Hey wait a minute, what about the rest of us???

Gents, I find myself in a whisk(e)y mood and I'm thinking that as today marks my 1 year anniversary in the US, I should really give quality bourbon a shot.

What would folks recommend to someone who has extensive experience with Scotch, but is basically a complete US whisky noob? Budget is negotiable, but maybe under $150 or so for a bottle.

My go to is Buffalo Trace. Other bourbons I enjoy are:

Blanton’s
Chattanooga (not strictly bourbon as it’s from TN)
High West

I’m not really into the high dollar stuff. We killed a bottle of 23 yr Pappy at a deal closing one night. It was good, but not THAT good!

My go to is Buffalo Trace. Other bourbons I enjoy are:

Blanton’s
Chattanooga (not strictly bourbon as it’s from TN)
High West

I’m not really into the high dollar stuff. We killed a bottle of 23 yr Pappy at a deal closing one night. It was good, but not THAT good!
Sounds good.

I guess I fell into the trap of the uninitiated by referring to American Whiskey as Bourbon.

I'm not wedded to that style, so other US options are entirely in scope!

Sounds good.

I guess I fell into the trap of the uninitiated by referring to American Whiskey as Bourbon.

I'm not wedded to that style, so other US options are entirely in scope!
Bourbon: 51% Corn in the mash bill, Charred new oak barrel
Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey: Made in Kentucky, same req’s as above, 3 yr minimum age

Gents, I find myself in a whisk(e)y mood and I'm thinking that as today marks my 1 year anniversary in the US, I should really give quality bourbon a shot.

What would folks recommend to someone who has extensive experience with Scotch, but is basically a complete US whisky noob? Budget is negotiable, but maybe under $150 or so for a bottle.
If you have an extensive Scotch experience why would you want to try the drippings from rotten corn. And actually pay for it?

Or, come for a visit, and I can take you around the distilleries for you to figure out your favorite ;)
Isn't there a danger when you find some of those di-stiil-eries of getting shot at?

Isn't 4 Roses Canadian Rye Whiskey?

Interesting as we have a Canadian Rye called 4 Roses. Cheap and a little rough.

Thanks!

I'm looking for US Whiskey though. Seems appropriate considering.

The A'Bunadh is excellent stuff. I have a bottle of that at home already!
Damn, wish I could read.

For American Bourbon I like Blanton's or Buffalo Trace.

Let us know what you celebrate with!

If you have an extensive Scotch experience why would you want to try the drippings from rotten corn. And actually pay for it?
The fun of trying new things, a celebration of now living somewhere new, expanding the old palate?

If I hadn't done that in the past I'd still be drinking Glen's Vodka out of a plastic bottle like I was in secondary school.

Well, actually I wouldn't as they got pulled from the shelves in my second year by food safety standards. Excessive methanol content allegedly, although I was always blind to it (pun intended)!

Interesting as we have a Canadian Rye called 4 Roses. Cheap and a little rough.
I meant this one:
1665182516384.png

The fun of trying new things, a celebration of now living somewhere new, expanding the old palate?

If I hadn't done that in the past I'd still be drinking Glen's Vodka out of a plastic bottle like I was in secondary school.

Well, actually I wouldn't as they got pulled from the shelves in my second year by food safety standards. Excessive methanol content allegedly, although I was always blind to it (pun intended)!
Other ranges to try:

Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Willet
Henry McKenna
IW Harper
1792 (Barton Distillery)
Elijah Craig
Old Forester

I don’t drink a lot of non-Kentucky Bourbons/Whiskeys made in the US. However, there are plenty of good ones.

Wild Buck is distilled here in Florida but I don't know if it is distributed elsewhere. It is 100% Rye Whiskey. My go to when I finish Dalmore and want something different.

Imo the best bourbon in the world shouldn't cost more $150. Age statements in premium bourbon are becoming harder to find - bc they are now aged less. If you can produce a 12 year scotch, ship it all the way across the pond, go through an importer, and still retail it for $75 - then all you are doing with bourbon is feeding into the current fad.

Knob Creek 15 for $150otd
Bookers is hard to find but $100.
Elijah Craig barrel proof is about $80
Knob Creek 12 about $60 and is a bargain
Russell's reserve 10 is a steal at $35

A handful of others...if you are getting an age statement of at least 8 years, it's going to be at least $60 and likely a good sipping experience.

I would never pay more than $60 for a bourbon with no age statement, with only a few exceptions like Blantons (even then I would only pay the $70 retail)

My two favorites, unfortunately a bit harder to find now. Old Forester Single Barrel 100 proof is another good bourbon.

20221007_203552.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!