Whisky appreciation

As one story ends, a new story begins.
View attachment 493338

really like those in barrel strength (~120 proof). my recommendation is wellington from south africa. not a whiskey - a brandy, actually - but tastes like a whiskey!

and who of you is an ass man
Image1665250611.201833.jpg

First time out this year bow hunting, bourbon, rye and scotch. On these important occasions don’t take any chances.

7124B215-27D7-43FD-97E3-CB613C98C3B2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, Angel’s Envy, that’s some good stuff right there!

Hmmm, Angel’s Envy, that’s some good stuff right there!
Yes, it had the shortest lifespan after getting its corked pulled.

Yes, it had the shortest lifespan after getting its corked pulled.

I can understand that. It should have been on my list of go to’s. It is the first thing I buy if I can’t find buffalo trace.

I am a Roses Single Barrel man myself…also for you wine drinkers out there I have not tasted a better red than Mieome Pinot Noir for the price. Red wine at dinner Roses by the fire as a night cap and for telling hunting lies. Lol!!’

So I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve in the end. No particular reason for grabbing that one over any of the other recomendations other than liking the look of the bottle.

Somehow some Dalwhinnie snuck into my basket as well, but I think I'm ok with that!

I'll give the Woodford a try next weekend.

Good choice with the Woodford... It's my current favorite. Plus, my wife doesn't care for it, so I don't have to share.... And the square bottles are kind of cool

As a youngster with two friends similar stupid we finished together a bottle lukewarm Black & White, sitting in a park in the German Black Forest, using plastic cups. We were sick for days, still want to vomit when smelling Whisky.

So I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve in the end. No particular reason for grabbing that one over any of the other recomendations other than liking the look of the bottle.

Somehow some Dalwhinnie snuck into my basket as well, but I think I'm ok with that!

I'll give the Woodford a try next weekend.
Two very good choices. Love the Dalwhinnie 15 year old, one of my favourite.

As a youngster with two friends similar stupid we finished together a bottle lukewarm Black & White, sitting in a park in the German Black Forest, using plastic cups. We were sick for days, still want to vomit when smelling Whisky.
I can relate to that, had it with Jägermeister, did not drink that stuff for years. But when I got my hunting license I met my nemesis again. Be it in much less quantities...

Not crazy about the big peat flavor. Now a couple of ounces of Macallan 18 and I am a gentle, happy soul.
That is my go to smooth and rich. That and it wont break the bank.

I had no idea there was a whiskey appreciation thread on here. I have found a new home. Ha ha
For this year's deer camp I made a duck fat and fat 2ashed old fashioned with a simple syrup I made from tangerines and brown sugar. It was a little lost on some of the crowd. Ha ha.
I live in West KY so we generally have pretty good access to some of the harder to find bourbons.

Found a really smooth Irish, with a lovely bocquet: Teeling Small Batch.
Also have indirect contact with the families involved in the McCoy-Hatfield ??? whisky wars through a F/B contact in W V.
I wanna emigrate to W V, finances permitting ...

Last edited:
I had no idea there was a whiskey appreciation thread on here. I have found a new home. Ha ha
For this year's deer camp I made a duck fat and fat 2ashed old fashioned with a simple syrup I made from tangerines and brown sugar. It was a little lost on some of the crowd. Ha ha.
I live in West KY so we generally have pretty good access to some of the harder to find bourbons.
Somehow that auto corrected what it was typing. It was a duck fat/bacon fat washed. I used some cheaper stuff added the duck fat and bacon fat and let it sit 4 hours at room temp then put in freezer for 12 hours. The fat freezes and you remove it. I then ran it through a coffee filter just for good measure. Added the tangerine simple syrup a touch of sour cherry and some bitters. It was a pretty decent drink. The alcohol strips the alcohol soluble flavors from the fat so when you take the fat out it is still left with a subtle flavor of the fat you used. Since orange and cherry goes well with both pork and duck and also with whiskey it seemed like a good combo to try and the old fashioned was the obvious route to go with that.

Somehow that auto corrected what it was typing. It was a duck fat/bacon fat washed. I used some cheaper stuff added the duck fat and bacon fat and let it sit 4 hours at room temp then put in freezer for 12 hours. The fat freezes and you remove it. I then ran it through a coffee filter just for good measure. Added the tangerine simple syrup a touch of sour cherry and some bitters. It was a pretty decent drink. The alcohol strips the alcohol soluble flavors from the fat so when you take the fat out it is still left with a subtle flavor of the fat you used. Since orange and cherry goes well with both pork and duck and also with whiskey it seemed like a good combo to try and the old fashioned was the obvious route to go with that.
Or you could just eat some bacon and take a shot of Jim Beam. :A Thumbs Up:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg