Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

The most beautiful rifle I’ve ever seen is the Marlin Glenfield .22 LR semi auto I received from my dad on Christmas Day 1968. I‘ll remember it all my days. I can’t recall ever getting a gift….of any type….that excited me as much.

View attachment 448097

I have the same gun. It was my first rifle. Bought at a gas station in Delavan, WI from their new gun rack. Every weekend I’d roll into the Gander Mountain corporate HQ with a crisp $5 and walk out with a brick of 500 .22lr to feed through it that weekend. What I lacked in precision I accounted for in volume.

How about a Rigby London Best in 275 Rigby? Proper lady with a proper rifle and a proper warthog.

B08FA00C-33B2-4FC1-8852-06C8F32D3CB5.jpeg

My former cased.303 Rigby is a natural candidate..

Only 2-3 of these Rigbymausers were made like that.

I sold the gun as it was a Sackville Street adressed gun. Didn`t really fit in my other St.James Street Rigby`s. A line must be drawn...LOL

o8ET0zOh.jpg
cX9O7Vth.jpg
SziLCSXh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, Rigby 416 Big Game Rifle
maybe because I have one :sneaky:

Second best, Mannlicher Shoenauer mod. NO - best proportion, very stilish, a corner stone in gun manufacture
Please post some pictures Phil.

I'm really kinda surprised, sorta, of the lack of availability in the market recently. I mean big money items that have floated around, distributers, outfitters, consignments, doubles, etc .. Sold!

Less it's just me,

My former cased.303 Rigby is a natural candidate..

Only 2-3 of these Rigbymausers were made like that.

I sold the gun as it was a Sackville Street adressed gun. Didn`t really fit in my other St.James Street Rigby`s. A line must be drawn...LOL

View attachment 468751View attachment 468752View attachment 468753
I can understand that. My visit to Rigby's a few years ago was very enjoyable, they are trying very hard, and I think succeeding, in their efforts to bring back to whole soul. What struck me was the balance between the old and the new, some nice old rifles in the history racka and around the back craftsmen making more. The engraver doing a portrait of Frederick Courteney Selous on a square bridge was incredible.
They even allowed me to handle Jim Corbett's original rifle.
C195CE30-8E37-4ECC-8DFD-A1E33830F07C.jpeg

Please post some pictures Phil.
Shure Kevin - here are my candidates...

My (already posted) Rigby 416
20220508_134355.jpg

and the magnificent Mannlicher Shoenauer mod. NO, here in 8x68S. I rifle I have always wished to possess... hopingly one day I will.
2022-05-29 13.40.47.png

To me, these two are a couple of the most elegant and perfect in proportions of all.
The latter is truly a masterpiece both for the bolt and the magazine mechanism - a witness of the smart brains of his parents : Ritten Von Mannlicher and Otto Shoenauer, two authentic genious.

Shure Kevin - here are my candidates...

My (already posted) Rigby 416
View attachment 468760

and the magnificent Mannlicher Shoenauer mod. NO, here in 8x68S. I rifle I have always wished to possess... hopingly one day I will.
View attachment 468761

To me, these two are a couple of the most elegant and perfect in proportions of all.
The latter is truly a masterpiece both for the bolt and the magazine mechanism - a witness of the smart brains of his parents : Ritten Von Mannlicher and Otto Shoenauer, two authentic genious.
I agree Phil, perfect proportions and I really like the foresight on the 416. A red recoil pad is so correct.

Also I would add this gorgeous single shot by Krieghoff, the Hubertus Exclusively S, a custom work with special engravings. This model is currently produced with a wide choice of woods, chamberings, and engravings, and to me truly could be the perfect mountain rifle - and as you can see is of rare beauty!
20220529_154524.jpg

20220529_154447.jpg

I can understand that. My visit to Rigby's a few years ago was very enjoyable, they are trying very hard, and I think succeeding, in their efforts to bring back to whole soul. What struck me was the balance between the old and the new, some nice old rifles in the history racka and around the back craftsmen making more. The engraver doing a portrait of Frederick Courteney Selous on a square bridge was incredible.
They even allowed me to handle Jim Corbett's original rifle.
View attachment 468758
Very cool indeed. You are a fortunate soul. The stories of Corbett’s man eater hunts have and still do give me great enjoyment.

Far more important than appearance, for a safari rifle, is FUNCTION . Add quality wood, craftsmanship and finishing... "No hay mas fina".
Reminds me of a comment by a maker of "pigeon" shotguns...."they are beautiful on the inside"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,