Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever?

Kevin Peacocke

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Which rifle do we crown as the best looking ever? You know when you go into a gun store and they are all there on the pegs, one just looks, good, looks right, it is plain beautiful. It may be the form, the proportion, the ratio of wood to metal, the stock shape. Whatever it is- that is the one. I am not talking about the ornateness, in fact lets say beauty in plain clothes to sort of level the playing field.
of course this will be highly subjective, we will get many entries, but I have a hunch there may be a convergence towards just one.
So give your candidate, a few words why, and a thumbnail if you are the first on that one.
I will kick off with the Ruger No1. The form is so pleasing and the ratio of wood to metal works just right.

DD8B9506-C3A2-46AC-9E22-A47BD8B7CC99.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright @Kevin Peacocke ,
My turn .
E1FBA996-6BDD-48B5-B4CD-7EED6394BCE7.jpeg

I crown the original George Gibbs Magnum Mauser in .505 Gibbs . I find it to be just so well balanced and proportioned . Not as extravagantly ( and dare I say superficially ) engraved as some of the flashy rifles owned by Middle Eastern Sheikhs . But rather , elegant in simplicity .

A Hartman & Weiss rifle. Whether falling block, break open single shot, or their magnificent rendition of the classic Mauser, their understated elegance demands attention in any setting.

Should you pull up their site, you will see no reference to prices. These incredible works of craftsmanship fall into the "If you have to ask ......." category. I have had the privilege to hold one on a couple of occasions.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.01.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.01.39 PM.png
    989.1 KB · Views: 448
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.01.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.01.48 PM.png
    894.8 KB · Views: 432
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.02.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.02.03 PM.png
    908.4 KB · Views: 465
the model 70 featherweight can demand a second look.
bruce.

+1

To my eyes, model 70 is a simple, very well proportioned rifle.

Another one that always catches my eyes is Kimber Caprivi. Just elegant lines, same with Westley Richards magazine rifle.

I like the look of single-shot rifles too. Be it Farquharson or break action.

I particularly like the new stock shape (straight comb) Blaser K95, and I adore Fanzoj KB-1. Both these rifles look good in plain black as well as with a super fancy, engraved finish. I know sooner or later I’ll buy a single shot rifle.

This is not taking into account engravings and other non-functional decorations. I do like them, and most any rifle tastefully and elaborately engraved is an eye-catcher. But some firearms just look “neat”.

Last edited:
I have to second Hartmann & Weiss...two barrels, .243Win. and 7mm Rem. Mag.
Made on a Hagn falling block action..

H & W 2.jpg

I give you... the Hipoint Woodland Carbine.. in the famous dangerous game caliber .45 ACP! You too can have one for less than $400.. optic included!

1615502647032.png

:D :D :D

"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". Stephen Stills

For me, it's a Blaser R8...I know SHOCKER!

A Hartman & Weiss rifle. Whether falling block, break open single shot, or their magnificent rendition of the classic Mauser, their understated elegance demands attention in any setting.

Should you pull up their site, you will see no reference to prices. These incredible works of craftsmanship fall into the "If you have to ask ......." category. I have had the privilege to hold one on a couple of occasions.

Can't argue with that. Here's a Hartmann and Weiss 505 Gibbs. No I don't own it I wish I did.

B3dB6RX.jpg

Here's my plain Jane CZ550 in 500 Jeffery

BD0shRU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with". Stephen Stills

For me, it's a Blaser R8...I know SHOCKER!

Here is some Blaser eye candy, I particularly like the King of The Woods and Kilimanjaro Elephant (https://www.blaser.de/en/products/custom/highlights-from-the-custom-shop/r8-kilimanjaro-elephant/) the only rifle I’ve ever seen featuring diamonds that doesn’t look silly.

Attachments

• BLA_KAT_Custom2014_EN_low.pdf
    20.2 MB · Views: 140
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.49.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.49.53 PM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 334
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.49.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.49.55 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 298
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.49.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 5.49.56 PM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 299
Image1615506373.362689.jpg

I have a soft spot for M70’s (with a Rigby thrown In for good measure!) The Second rifle from the top is one of the finest 7x57’s I have seen. The engraving is by one of the British masters.

However, as much as I appreciate these guns, I have to agree with Kevin and Red Leg, a fine falling block single shot is perhaps the most elegant form of rifle ever created.

View attachment 392714

I have a soft spot for M70’s (with a Rigby thrown In for good measure!) The Second rifle from the top is one of the finest 7x57’s I have seen. The engraving is by one of the British masters.

However, as much as I appreciate these guns, I have to agree with Kevin and Red Leg, a fine falling block single shot is perhaps the most elegant form of rifle ever created.
a very fine group of rifles indeed.
and any one of them can be a single shot if you only load it with 1 round.
the truly versatile thing about them is that they can also be used as repeaters.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross