Which caliber to keep?

I also have IMH too many rifles in my gun-safe and have considered reducing the number to three rifles and a shotgun. You don't need more to hunt worldwide than a rifle in a small caliber , one in a medium with possibility to long range shooting and one in a large caliber for hunting DG.

It is impossible for me to select three rifles because there is always a reason why I like to continue to use the one or the other for something. That will be difficult over time , and to that comes that I have no descendants or younger hunters in my area who are interested in these rifles.

I have far more than I need and generally hunt with the same rifle for years on end regardless of what big game I'm hunting.
But my problem is once I've actually killed something with a rifle I feel we've bonded and it would be just wrong to sell it. Lol
Plus I now have 2 grandsons which will receive rifles when the time is right. 270-7mag class.
I also keep a 243 for them and others to get started. My son's girlfriend will be going on her first hunt this year.
Anyway,, selling is just wrong

In my humble opinion I own a 375, 300wsm and just added a 6.5 creedmoor. Sold my 270wsm, I m set for just about anything short of elephant. At one point I owned 7 different calibers.

I'm definitely not your guy, since I've added four rifles to the collection already in 2020. Rather than get a new safe (I've long since outgrown the one I have), I'm building a gun room/reloading room!

To answer the OP, I'd keep the 7x57, 300 WM, and 9.3x62. You could always rent an outfitter rifle if you get around to buff, which you said was unlikely I think.

I'm fortunate, I have two sons that love to hunt and shoot. So, I've already started thinning my herd by gifting much of my collection. Still, I'll keep way more than I "need." After lots of deliberation, here's what I consider the "perfect" collection for me:

• 22 LR
  • 22 WMR
  • 223/5.56/22-250 (I chose a 5.56 NATO bolt gun rather than my 22-250 or an AR)
  • 243/257 (I chose a 257 Rob)
  • 6.5 (I'm keeping a 6.5x55 and a 6.5 CM)
  • 7mm (I'm keeping a 7-08 and likely will add a 280 AI at some point)
  • 30s (Keeping a 308, 30-06, and 300 WM)
  • 338/35/9.3 (keeping a 35 Whelen and would love to add a 338 WM at some point)

We've already done our first "draft" in the gifting stage with my boys, who are 18 and 20. We flipped a coin for the first selection then followed in "serpentine draft" fashion. The firearms obviously will stay with me for the time being, but will go home with the boys when they have suitable storage for them. My youngest is headed to Univ of Denver in the fall, and likely will take a rifle with him - we have family in the area who are hunters and have offered to store his rifle for him. CO allows full-time students to qualify as residents for hunting purposes after they've been there for 6 months.

Milan
Keep the 7 x57 and the 9.3
Sell the rest and make a n voice 404 Jeffery.
With the money left over go back to Africa.
Cheers mate Bob
That is the most likely route. But in reality, I do not see myself hunting dangerous game, so the need for .404 and the big noise is subsiding...I may build it just cause I have that barrel and a butchered VZ24 action...but if I were to keep the bigger bores, I'd keep the .375H&H. We will see. But thanks!

Milan
Just go to the Calgary indoor shooting centre when you feel the urge to do something different. That way you can sell some and get to use what you don't have.
That way you can have your cake and eat it too.
Cheers mate Bob
Yeah I know. I think I prefer private sale though so would only use them to try something different.

Keep the 7x57, 300 win mag, 375 H&H
Add something like a .204 for plinking and vamints
This is a very sane choice (and I do have plinking and target rifles, I just did not list them). But at this stage it is becoming more about noise, lightness and handiness. The 300Wm I have is sweet to shoot but loud and heavy. The 375 is also noisy but not bad (not light but reasonable, 10lbs with scope and sling). I may just measure the noise and decide based on that as I like all the rifles I have. I may never build the .338WM as while I like the caliber and its killing ability, it barks. We cannot use suppressors here but even if we could I do not like the can on the end of the rifle for hunting.

I think you need an additional son. I spoke with my parents and they said I am available for adoption.:LOL:
Hahahaha. Good one. Hey who knows....

I do wish I had more kids. My daughter used to like to shoot but does not shoot or hunt. My son is slow to take this up, so more kids would be welcome for many reasons...should have thought of that years ago I guess. :D

I'm definitely not your guy, since I've added four rifles to the collection already in 2020. Rather than get a new safe (I've long since outgrown the one I have), I'm building a gun room/reloading room!

To answer the OP, I'd keep the 7x57, 300 WM, and 9.3x62. You could always rent an outfitter rifle if you get around to buff, which you said was unlikely I think.

I'm fortunate, I have two sons that love to hunt and shoot. So, I've already started thinning my herd by gifting much of my collection. Still, I'll keep way more than I "need." After lots of deliberation, here's what I consider the "perfect" collection for me:

• 22 LR
  • 22 WMR
  • 223/5.56/22-250 (I chose a 5.56 NATO bolt gun rather than my 22-250 or an AR)
  • 243/257 (I chose a 257 Rob)
  • 6.5 (I'm keeping a 6.5x55 and a 6.5 CM)
  • 7mm (I'm keeping a 7-08 and likely will add a 280 AI at some point)
  • 30s (Keeping a 308, 30-06, and 300 WM)
  • 338/35/9.3 (keeping a 35 Whelen and would love to add a 338 WM at some point)

We've already done our first "draft" in the gifting stage with my boys, who are 18 and 20. We flipped a coin for the first selection then followed in "serpentine draft" fashion. The firearms obviously will stay with me for the time being, but will go home with the boys when they have suitable storage for them. My youngest is headed to Univ of Denver in the fall, and likely will take a rifle with him - we have family in the area who are hunters and have offered to store his rifle for him. CO allows full-time students to qualify as residents for hunting purposes after they've been there for 6 months.
I hear ya. I'm contemplating gun room also but then again I like simple. Oh, the decisions one must make. I only got the .300WM to try it as I always wanted one and a buddy of mine has permission on a huge prairie piece of land where shots are in the 300+ range. My last elk cow was 480 m (after hours of stalking and creeping up on the herd), his last whitetail was nearly nearly 600 m. Unless we're in the trees or bushes, you just do not get close with no cover. So I almost sprang for custom Kimber in 280 for those longer shots instead of the 300. But then again, I can make even the 7x57 or 8x57/60 work to 500 m. Or I could use the 30-06 or build something else...lol...there is no way out of this. :D I will do more shooting this summer (that's the plan anyway) to help me decide which rifles I really like best.

The CO permission sounds very nice for young people. I'm happy for your boy. Both of them actually.

Last edited by a moderator:
ILCAPO
I agree mate
I have the 25 for most stuff
The 35 Whelen for bigger
And
22K Hornet for small game I don't want to vaporize.
It was hard to sell others but now I don't waste a day deciding what to use.
Cheers mate Bob

: ) Makes sense.

I just put another payment on a layaway I have at a local gunshop today... it's a Remington Model 1917 sporterized into a .20-06. Nice piece of wood with lovely checkering tops it off. Found they have a HUGE estates collection (guy died leaving 1,500 guns in over 30 safes) and most of them are selling for great prices. This one went for $600, but was on 10% discount because it had been sitting for a while. Plan to take it off their hands next weekend.

I was really hoping they hadn't sold another of the collection yet, but such was not the case. I was last there two weeks ago, but in the interim, someone beat me to the punch. Not sure if they would have placed it on layaway being they're on consignment. Technically they weren't supposed to do that with the -06, but they allowed me to anyway. This latest addition I wanted was a Browning Model 1885 in .30-06. It's a falling block, single shot. Not an overly practical gun these days, but oh it was pretty. Learned they made them from 1985 through 2001. This was a recreation of John Browning's Model 1885 which he sold to Winchester back then, and which is sold by Winchester as well. This thing had clearly never been in the field; it was mint. Unfortunately, it's gone now. Not surprised being the price was right: $1,150.00 with scope. It was topped off with a Simmon Aetec 6-18x.

I just put another payment on a layaway I have at a local gunshop today... it's a Remington Model 1917 sporterized into a .20-06. Nice piece of wood with lovely checkering tops it off. Found they have a HUGE estates collection (guy died leaving 1,500 guns in over 30 safes) and most of them are selling for great prices. This one went for $600, but was on 10% discount because it had been sitting for a while. Plan to take it off their hands next weekend.

I was really hoping they hadn't sold another of the collection yet, but such was not the case. I was last there two weeks ago, but in the interim, someone beat me to the punch. Not sure if they would have placed it on layaway being they're on consignment. Technically they weren't supposed to do that with the -06, but they allowed me to anyway. This latest addition I wanted was a Browning Model 1885 in .30-06. It's a falling block, single shot. Not an overly practical gun these days, but oh it was pretty. Learned they made them from 1985 through 2001. This was a recreation of John Browning's Model 1885 which he sold to Winchester back then, and which is sold by Winchester as well. This thing had clearly never been in the field; it was mint. Unfortunately, it's gone now. Not surprised being the price was right: $1,150.00 with scope. It was topped off with a Simmon Aetec 6-18x.
ILCAPO
Mate you have impeccable taste.
Firstly the 25 Whelen now a classic 25/06 on an M17 action.
My own 25 cal is a 25/303 Epps Newton improved. A bit hotter than your 25. Mine launches a 117grain SST at 3,300+fps and a 100grain Barnes ttsx at 3,600+ fps. You will love the 25 but they have a habit of overshooting things because you half to high.
Mate enjoy you will love it.

ILCAPO

20191226_110658.jpg

My 25 cal M17
20191226_111037.jpg

200 yard group with 117sst.
20191226_110228.jpg

The 25/303 Epps Newton improved cartridge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd keep the 9.3 x 62. You can use it in Africa and for Bear in Canada. Ammo is available in both countries.
I suspect it would work as well as a 35 Whelen on moose and elk as well.

It is never too late though. That is why I upgrade wives every 8-9 years. ;)
Tanks
Cheaper to upgrade rifles than wives.
My wife no1 got the goldmine I just got the shaft.
Current wife is great I can upgrade rifles all I want but when I find a genuine keeper wife or rifle I like to hang onto both.
Cheers mate Bob

ILCAPO
Mate you have impeccable taste.
Firstly the 25 Whelen now a classic 25/06 on an M17 action.
My own 25 cal is a 25/303 Epps Newton improved. A bit hotter than your 25. Mine launches a 117grain SST at 3,300+fps and a 100grain Barnes ttsx at 3,600+ fps. You will love the 25 but they have a habit of overshooting things because you half to high.
Mate enjoy you will love it.

Thank you. And yes, that was a typo. You got my intent... it was a .25-06, not .20-06. SHEEESH! (Talk about overbore!)

As I said earlier, I didn't really need it, being I already have a .257 Roberts. Had one of the VZ-24 Czech Mausers I bought converted. It's really nice, with a unique stock built for it by Bullberry Barrel Works. It is a stock of his design with a canted grip with palm swell. Feels good in the hand, but quite different from any other rifle I've held.

Shop was owned by a Fred Smith, a retired Las Vegas firefighter who set up shop in Southern Utah. Started in 1988. Wondering if he was still around, I looked him up. Found an article from November 8, 2019 noting he was closing up shop. He retired after 40 years in the business.

I was going through my gun safe today and pulled out rifles and shotguns to go over and make sure all maintenance was conducted. I pulled out a .22LR, .243, .270, 30-06, and 375 H&H. As I was going over the .270 I asked myself why do I have a .270. The .243 and 30-06 I feel cover the high, middle and low end of the .270 spectrum. I realized the .270 in "my world" actually does not serve a purpose or fill a niche.

Looking at weapon and ammunition cost, range time, and weapons maintenance to become highly proficient I think it make sense to "cull' the gun safe and invest in proficiency rather than "collect". I think I could easily hunt the world with three rifles. I am also thinking of selling off the "duplicated efforts". While saying that I have been stalking 7x57s on Gun Broker.

Dangerous Game: 375H&H or 404J
Plains Game / US Big Game (minus large bear): 30-06
Varmit / Antelope: .243

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg