Where to stay while in transit through South Africa, Johannesburg

Phoenix Phil
We are staying in Jo berg in Sept for one night.What did it cost you to stay at the Afton guest house per night? How much can we expect to pay for a steak dinner? Would you recommend the Italian restaurant instead of the steak place. We are not beef eaters just wild game and road kill lol.thanks Erik

Erik, saw your post so thought I would chime in. The Afton rates are R950 for a double and R750 for a single and this includes airport transfers and breakfast. I believe the steak dinner is about $20USD per person. They will also take you to nearby restaurants. We will be staying there on our arrival next weekend and going to a Portugese restaurant called Jose's that we ate at last year. The food was wonderful and very reasonable and Annelise said they have moved and are very close to the Afton now. I'll give you a report when I get back in late August.

The Afton is definitely one of the most affordable places that I know of for the overnight near the airport but I will be doing some research while there next week and looking at some nearby hotels, etc. just for options for those that are interested.

Yeah I have to agree that the dinner was about $20, I can't remember exactly. Compared to the other restaurants we ate at in S. Africa, that was definitely on the pricy side. But after a long flight arriving in the evening, the last thing you may want to do is go back out the door for a restaurant meal. When you eat there, you can roam around the grounds or whatever while your steak is being cooked. The price may vary from night to night as I know the 2nd night we were there they served lamb. That was the night we went for the Italian, I wished we'd stayed for the lamb.

Lori & Phil
I went ahead with the Afton guest house for our layover and will try and remember the 2 restaurants that are recommended.

All,

I just got back from a safari in RSA a couple days ago. A friend and I stayed at Afton after our arrival and before transfer to camp. Our room rate was 950 rand (double occupancy) and the steak dinner was $25. The breakfast was included in the room rate as well.

Overall I thought this was a very good value and would definitely stay at the Afton Guest House again.

nd

I will be heading to Joburg on my third safari next Wednesday and staying at Afton Guest House. This arrangement was made by my travel agent. I will let you all know my experience with them and how my hunting in the Limpopo went. The room rate as of today is roughly 100.00 US. ZAR750.00.

This is an old thread but I stayed with Afton in July '09 and was happy with the service from pickup to delivery back to Tambo. The steak dinner was 20 bucks and no free beer but the steak was about as good as any I have ever had and after the long flight I was too pooped to care about much else other than good food and sleep. The room was fine and the bed comfortable. Breakfast was ample and good and no charge for it. Cost for all but the meal and beer was 90 bucks then, no doubt a little more now. I do know the owner had cancer and Annalise and Jacques were running most of it. I would have no problem staying there again.

I have stayed at Afton twice: in 2005 and 2008. I was quite happy each time and expect to stay there again next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross