joker2400

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
I am looking at going back to Africa, probably RSA (haven't ruled out Bots or Namibia), in 2017.My main goal is a big kudu, either EC or SG. In addition to that I want to take a couple of really big warthogs, a nice duiker, and a steenbuck.

My question is this, where would you go for the best combo of these animals? Eastern Cape? KZN? Limpopo? One of the other countries? Thanks for the input?

There is a ton of really good outfitters on here just poke around in the great deals section.

Yep lots of outfitters to help you. I'm sure Pieter at PawPrint can hook you up!

If you want a big kudu the Limpopo would be hard to beat as they have much larger kudu than the EC as the cape kudu is generally smaller.

Find a property were old warthogs are, otherwise you will be wasting your time. If there are crops around the chances of finding a huge warthog are A LOT slimmer. If you have lucky horseshoe then it doesn't matter. But big warthogs have to grow old first to get big. And with crops around, they don't grow old.

Joker2400,
It's going to be hard to beat the Limpopo for quality greater kudu...We kill lots of 54"plus bulls each season with our guests, and we always manage 1 or 2 exceeding the 60" mark. In fact, for quality and variety of species, the Limpopo has it all....We've got the duiker, steenbok, some old warrior warthogs, as well as 40 plus other plainsgame species available. Please take a moment and check out what we have to offer. It would be my pleasure to answer any questions you may have.

@joker2400 Glad to hear you considering RSA. All the places you mentioned are great in their own right. The differences between the KZN, EC and Limpopo not only in animals but terrain and climate is very different. One thing is guaranteed however, no matter where you head to you will have a great time.
My advice look through as many websites of Outfitters as possible, contact them directly and fire away with the questions.

All the best and enjoy the planning.
Jono

Joker2400

I feel your pain. There are three of us trying to deicde where we will go in 2016. It's also either RSA, Bots or Namibia, so much to consider!

It's true the Eastern Cape kudu are noticably smaller than those north. Botswana regularly sees many monster kudu so that would be worth a look. I believe a rabies outbreak in Namibia killed many large bulls a couple of years ago, so not sure how the populations have been affected. I was told very recently that in northern Namibia there are very few big bulls right now. Though that conversation started after we pointed out we were looking at hunting in the Kalahari with a different company!

Thanks for the input guys. I am mostly trying to decide between the Eastern Cape and the Limpopo. I realize that the EC kudu is generally smaller, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to improve on my last one. The things that are making my decision a little harder is my relatively low budget(10k) for what I want to do and the fact that I am bringing my wife along

Well you threw out your critter list and budget. Does that include air fares? I would think it could? Probably not taxidermy but you never know until you ask.... I would expect you'll get some proposals.

The landscape of the EC is very rocky soil and so Warthogs wear down their tusks a lot more than places like the Limpopo, which has a lighter soil in comparison. That's not to say you couldn't shoot a big one in the EC, in fact I shot a 13" warthog there but there are more variables stacked against you. I count myself very lucky to have taken one that size, my friend also shot one at 9", however, it also depends on what you consider big?

You may also have a preference of horn shape on your Kudu too. If it were me I would head to the Limpopo as I like the wider frame of horns you generally find up there.

I would pick the limpo and northwest areas for your list. Pieter has taken some monster warthog in both areas 13" and 14" and both have plenty of kudu in the 50 to 55" range with bigger possible. The limpo seemed to have more steenbuck and duiker.

Going for the smaller ones and a big warthog I would pick later in the year like july,aug. or sept. The grass will not be as tall and makes seeing them easier. That is if you want to stalk them and not just sit at a waterhole to hunt them.

If I can help let me know and I will get you a quote and more info.

Thanks Billc

Last edited:
Talk to Jacques or @PHOENIX PHIL w/ Hartzview. Concession everywhere, vast knowledge, experience & first class service.

For a big kudu, I would say Limpopo, I have also seen very large warthogs taken there, my record being 14,2"

Ultimately I like the Limpopo for big kudu and warthogs! But hunting kudu even though they have smaller horns is pretty addictive in the East Cape too, I want to go back and march up and down those hills searching for kudu again. It reminds me of elk hunting :).

Don't forget Namibia.... If you are willing to walk a lot and wok hard you will get yourself a monster Kudu bull. As for the rest, its completely doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg