joker2400

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
I am looking at going back to Africa, probably RSA (haven't ruled out Bots or Namibia), in 2017.My main goal is a big kudu, either EC or SG. In addition to that I want to take a couple of really big warthogs, a nice duiker, and a steenbuck.

My question is this, where would you go for the best combo of these animals? Eastern Cape? KZN? Limpopo? One of the other countries? Thanks for the input?

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
There is a ton of really good outfitters on here just poke around in the great deals section.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Yep lots of outfitters to help you. I'm sure Pieter at PawPrint can hook you up!

jeff

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
sci P&Y
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
If you want a big kudu the Limpopo would be hard to beat as they have much larger kudu than the EC as the cape kudu is generally smaller.

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Find a property were old warthogs are, otherwise you will be wasting your time. If there are crops around the chances of finding a huge warthog are A LOT slimmer. If you have lucky horseshoe then it doesn't matter. But big warthogs have to grow old first to get big. And with crops around, they don't grow old.

Limcroma Safaris

Sponsor
Since 2014
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.limcroma.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
PHASA, SCI, DSC, NRMEF, NWTF, DU, QDMA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana.
Joker2400,
It's going to be hard to beat the Limpopo for quality greater kudu...We kill lots of 54"plus bulls each season with our guests, and we always manage 1 or 2 exceeding the 60" mark. In fact, for quality and variety of species, the Limpopo has it all....We've got the duiker, steenbok, some old warrior warthogs, as well as 40 plus other plainsgame species available. Please take a moment and check out what we have to offer. It would be my pleasure to answer any questions you may have.

KVS

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
PHASA
@joker2400 Glad to hear you considering RSA. All the places you mentioned are great in their own right. The differences between the KZN, EC and Limpopo not only in animals but terrain and climate is very different. One thing is guaranteed however, no matter where you head to you will have a great time.
My advice look through as many websites of Outfitters as possible, contact them directly and fire away with the questions.

All the best and enjoy the planning.
Jono

MJ75

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
England, Scotland, RSA and Namibia
Joker2400

I feel your pain. There are three of us trying to deicde where we will go in 2016. It's also either RSA, Bots or Namibia, so much to consider!

It's true the Eastern Cape kudu are noticably smaller than those north. Botswana regularly sees many monster kudu so that would be worth a look. I believe a rabies outbreak in Namibia killed many large bulls a couple of years ago, so not sure how the populations have been affected. I was told very recently that in northern Namibia there are very few big bulls right now. Though that conversation started after we pointed out we were looking at hunting in the Kalahari with a different company!

joker2400

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA
Thanks for the input guys. I am mostly trying to decide between the Eastern Cape and the Limpopo. I realize that the EC kudu is generally smaller, but I wouldn't turn down a chance to improve on my last one. The things that are making my decision a little harder is my relatively low budget(10k) for what I want to do and the fact that I am bringing my wife along

ActionBob

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
Well you threw out your critter list and budget. Does that include air fares? I would think it could? Probably not taxidermy but you never know until you ask.... I would expect you'll get some proposals.

UKHunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, Scotland, Wales, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Germany, USA (Wyoming) and Hungary.
The landscape of the EC is very rocky soil and so Warthogs wear down their tusks a lot more than places like the Limpopo, which has a lighter soil in comparison. That's not to say you couldn't shoot a big one in the EC, in fact I shot a 13" warthog there but there are more variables stacked against you. I count myself very lucky to have taken one that size, my friend also shot one at 9", however, it also depends on what you consider big?

You may also have a preference of horn shape on your Kudu too. If it were me I would head to the Limpopo as I like the wider frame of horns you generally find up there.

billc

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
I would pick the limpo and northwest areas for your list. Pieter has taken some monster warthog in both areas 13" and 14" and both have plenty of kudu in the 50 to 55" range with bigger possible. The limpo seemed to have more steenbuck and duiker.

Going for the smaller ones and a big warthog I would pick later in the year like july,aug. or sept. The grass will not be as tall and makes seeing them easier. That is if you want to stalk them and not just sit at a waterhole to hunt them.

If I can help let me know and I will get you a quote and more info.

Thanks Billc

Last edited:

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA
Talk to Jacques or @PHOENIX PHIL w/ Hartzview. Concession everywhere, vast knowledge, experience & first class service.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
For a big kudu, I would say Limpopo, I have also seen very large warthogs taken there, my record being 14,2"

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Ultimately I like the Limpopo for big kudu and warthogs! But hunting kudu even though they have smaller horns is pretty addictive in the East Cape too, I want to go back and march up and down those hills searching for kudu again. It reminds me of elk hunting :).

Jacques.strauss

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
DSC, NAPHA, SCI, Roland Ward Guild
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe
Don't forget Namibia.... If you are willing to walk a lot and wok hard you will get yourself a monster Kudu bull. As for the rest, its completely doable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DorieMcDon

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

eballo wrote on doubleboy's profile.
Is the Parker still for sale?
hunt 65 wrote on Bullthrower338's profile.
You ever sell the Hyme 458 Lott?
Bob Nelson 35Whelen wrote on jwp475's profile.
@jwp475
If you need help with your Whelen loads please PM me
Bob
xausa wrote on Challer's profile.
I don't know where you're located, but I'd be happy to let you try out my Krieghoff. I'm located in West Tennessee and the local gun club has a skeet layout and is located not far from my farm. We're about five miles from the Kentucky state line and about 100 miles west of Nashville.
I just joined today, I live in Louisiana. I joined mostly because of all of the 35 Whelen discussion as I am now very interested In the 35 Whelen. I have an 1885 Highwall that J.E.S.S. rebored to 35 Whelen

Also own 338s 375 and both a 416 rem and Rigby