Where To Go For Warthogs????

Man a big set of warthog tusks with bone etching sure does sound like a nice trophy.

I seen some nice big ones in the Kalahari in Namibia. They were everywhere. Took a nice one with my 375 .View attachment 374724View attachment 374725
That's a warty of my dreams right there !!!! I have a decent one from Namibia ! (see photo below) But nothing like that.
I have been to the Limpopo twice and haven't even seen one that big.

Going to shows I have looked at photo books from Motsomi Safaris and they have an awful lot of huge warthog in their books.
100_0524.JPG

Last edited:
Funny, we hunted Limpopo, the Zambezi valley (Zim), and the Otavi area in Namibia last year. We were counting on big Warthog in Namibia. We ended up shooting two old pigs, one in Limpopo and the other in the Zambezi valley. Go figure!

IMG_0649.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG

Shot one i Limpopo that is ok.
sydafrika 2 048.JPG

I also bought a pair of tusks on an internet auction that was shot in Senegal.
29cm long. A 375HH as comparison.
Was mounted on a plaque with date.Think it was in the -60s.
Seems to be of an other shape compared with the one I shot in Limpopo.
Bought them to use in my knife making hobby.
thumbnail_20201108_202209.jpg

Jim P said "I don't know about free range warthogs but looking at the prices for hunts for them in south Texas and you might as well as go to Africa and enjoy the trip over there."

Jim,
I looked into this and found that the only Texas hunting operation that advertised Warthog hunts does indeed charge a trophy fee of $9,000.

I also found that the State of Texas encourages all hunters on state land that see warthogs to kill all that they see. State game management employees on these lands do the same as the W hogs are thriving in the southwestern parts of the state and present a threat to some native game species.

Sounds a lot like the news when the feral hog population began to increase. Time will tell, but we may some day have more reasonably priced h W Hog hunting.

One bad thing about hunting Texas is all the private land. Yes, you can find public but would it hold warthogs?

I think that if their population does explode like the wild pigs then the land owners will try to get as much as they can out of the hunters. I have a friend who stopped at some property in Texas that had signs all over their fences saying "Pig Hunters Needed" He talked to the owner and they wanted $300 a day to hunt their property.

"Pig Hunters Needed" He talked to the owner and they wanted $300 a day to hunt their property.

Interesting and common for farmers and ranchers with a hog problem.
Reminds me of the Boars Nest hog hunting preserve in OK, just a 90 minute drive north of my farm.
Two pastures:
1. Do it your self, walk and stalk for hogs from 100 to 200 pounds for $200. they bring dead hogs in to cleaning station and will clean them for a fee. I usually watch the cleaning while eating lunch. Also a good time to BS and maybe add a pig or two as needed.
2. Trophy pasture, they run the dogs and hunters ride in their pickup until a Boar is bayed and then a hunter gets out , walks to bay, and shoots hog before it breaks and runs. Big Fun! Hogs usually around 300 pounds. Price is $300.

This operation is so close that I am always back to drop off quartered hog at processor near farm before dark. For out of town hunters, they have a couple of bunk housed with bath and kitchen.

I shot this sow, my all time (so far) biggest hog, walking the Trophy pasture a couple years back:; the owner said it was a 600 pounder, but it was too big for the scales.
52180_600x400.jpg

They did have to use a tractor with front end loader to retrieve it from the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Texas is indeed all private land and there's definitely no farmers dying for out of staters to come hunt for free on their land.
And the high fenced "exotics" are vastly overpriced for the assembly line experience. Africa is a far better deal.

Texas is indeed all private land and there's definitely no farmers dying for out of staters to come hunt for free on their land.

There are a few... your just have to know where to look :)

I arrange a veterans hunt every year in the spring in SE Texas.. we have a landowner that gives us access to his several thousand acres at no charge... we typically take 12-15 pigs off of his property every hunt.. we have guys come in from all over the country for a 3 day hunting weekend.. AK, VA, NY, FL, TN, GA, OH, and MO were all represented last spring...

And the high fenced "exotics" are vastly overpriced for the assembly line experience. Africa is a far better deal.

I figure that if they are desperate to get rid of wild pigs that they would be more than happy to allow a few hunters onto their property to thin out the herd some

I agree on the high fence exotics, they are way overpriced but if you just have a weekend to hunt and don't want to go to the expense of a African trip it might be for you. But when you can have a full 10 day safari which includes just about everything including the kitchen sink and 5-10 animals Africa is your best value.

Funny, we hunted Limpopo, the Zambezi valley (Zim), and the Otavi area in Namibia last year. We were counting on big Warthog in Namibia. We ended up shooting two old pigs, one in Limpopo and the other in the Zambezi valley. Go figure!

View attachment 374751View attachment 374752
The 2 warthog in my photo are from Otavi. We hunted waterholes two sittings and saw very little, then we went to a huge ranch where the owner was also a distributor of herbicide in area and was nearly all cleared of brush. I’ve never seen so many warthogs. We took 4 that evening driving ranch, the 2 in photo were largest.

Not all exotics in Texas are behind a fence. I took these 2 axis in Sonora Texas this year. All low fence, saw several hundred over 2 days. I thought price was very fair for the experience. All spot and stalk. I think west Texas aoudad are priced well for the experience and country they live in as well.
2AC2A5E1-8DF5-4E28-82BE-8C028D42D827.jpeg
E418F0DE-2B89-495F-A689-D1531DC15038.jpeg

hi all

great warthogs
hunt northern limpopo, south africa
make sure not too rocky or very hard ground in the area where you hunt, as the warthogs will often wear down or break their tusks off
so soft sandy soil often produces good looking unbroken tusks

regards

I have had great luck on warthogs in the limpopo. Took three monsters on two trips. Can't remember what they measured but it was up there. I want to say one hit 14"....?

IMG_5570.jpeg
IMG_3438.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Give the folks at Mokore Safaris a call. I just saw a picture last week of a 16" Warthog they pulled from a poachers snare. One of their PH's told me they have shot one that went 17" but many many above 14".

As is usually the case once I presented the choices of where we could get some nice warthogs my friend decided to back out of the idea of hunting them.

But all might not be lost because I still want one

As is usually the case once I presented the choices of where we could get some nice warthogs my friend decided to back out of the idea of hunting them.

But all might not be lost because I still want one
Jim,
I got this photo from our PH at Mokore Safaris. It was taken this year at their concession in Mozambique, and sadly was killed by a poachers snare. They have some of the best Warthog in this concession. We (the wife and I) are planning to hunt there in 2023 and it was recommended to set aside trophy fees for 2 Warthog each. Reason being our PH said " you will see many 12"-14" and shoot one, before the trip is over you WILL see a bigger one and want to shoot it".
WhatsApp Image 2020-12-10 at 02.04.33.jpeg

A friend asked me about going back to South Africa and doing a hunt for a great warthog and perhaps just a couple other animals.

I hunted the area around a hour north of Port Elizabeth the first time and while there were warthogs available most of the areas were too rocky to allow them to get the great tusk that I want. We did see one nice old boar but once he disappeared into some brush we never did find him. One of the other hunters did get into some nice ones but at the time he was also hunting fallow deer which were not on the farm that we were hunting and they had to drive a few hours to get to the area that they hunted them.

So, if I wanted to find a great outfitter with some great warthogs and perhaps a few other animals where would I go and with whom? I'd also like a zebra rug but am not sure of what the other person would like to shoot. But I am sure that he would be flexible. Then there are always the animals where the PH says to shoot and you just shoot it and worry about it later.
Khomas Highlands Safaris Namibia--on 5 day trip saw hundreds of warthog and some very impressive trophies. Shot trophy Kudu, 2 gemsbok that made SCI book one made SCI and Rowland ward at 41 3/8". trophy Impala, and Springbok . Had chances at numerous other species and planned on going back 2020 had bought tickets and covid shut it down. AM going this May if it remains open, everything you could want in a Outfitter. Best food ever very clean and safe and friendly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwoody

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross