What Watch do you wear when you hunt?

I had a nice Bulova Senator (circa 1958) once. Sold it in Hong Kong to finance a drunken bar crawl. :(
I still have my original dive watch, now retired to dry land.
@ Cervus elaphus
Those drunken bar brawls will do it every time. Are they the same in Honkers as OZ.
I remember one I was in. There we were in the pub ankle deep in middie glasses when a blue broke out. 3 onto 50 and geeze didn't we give this 3 a flogging.
Bob

@ Cervus elaphus
Those drunken bar brawls will do it every time. Are they the same in Honkers as OZ.
I remember one I was in. There we were in the pub ankle deep in middie glasses when a blue broke out. 3 onto 50 and geeze didn't we give this 3 a flogging.
Bob
haha now that's funny. HK was a bit more civilized iirc. We started in the Luk Kwok hotel Wanchai (featured in the film "Suzie Wong") and ended up in Kowloon's Red Lion. This was when HK was still part of the Orient. Somewhere inbetween we had a 12 course meal which ended up in the big white telephone (it was the chicken legs what did it). We were having a few quiet drinks in one bar with some American sailors when the MPs came in, batons drawn, and kicked all of the Americans out - haven't figured that one out yet - everyone was behaving.

haha now that's funny. HK was a bit more civilized iirc. We started in the Luk Kwok hotel Wanchai (featured in the film "Suzie Wong") and ended up in Kowloon's Red Lion. This was when HK was still part of the Orient. Somewhere inbetween we had a 12 course meal which ended up in the big white telephone (it was the chicken legs what did it). We were having a few quiet drinks in one bar with some American sailors when the MPs came in, batons drawn, and kicked all of the Americans out - haven't figured that one out yet - everyone was behaving.
@Cervus elaphas
Mate only ever been in one full on bar brawl and that was in my home town. Not pretty and barred from the pub for 6 months. Lucky there were 30 odd pubs in our town of 30,000.
Bob

But, just use a phone?

I travel a lot for work and for pleasure, both within Europe and long haul. The idea of yet more crap to carry through airports is way, way down my agenda!

A decent phone gives you films, TV, kindle app, tickets, taxis, maps etc etc. Can't see any advantage to the ipad unless you're eyes aren't up to the phone screen!

Al.
I realize you made this post almost a year ago, but as a newbie to this forum I just found and am reading through this thread....

At 24 I would have said the same thing as you.

Now at (almost) 45..... I'm inclined to agree with Red Leg on it. I had to make the switch to bifocals / Contacts & readers about six months ago because I was getting eye strain trying to read without them.

I work from my phone a lot, and there is no way I would want to spend any time at all reading a book or any documentation on it. I'd feel like I was going blind within a few minutes.

Time (and age) really does make a huge difference in most things. Sadly, eyesight is one of those things.

And I'm sure it only accelerates with age.

Enjoy being comfortable reading / watching movies on the phone while you can!

I love time pieces of all types. I have ex Navy ships clocks, (wind up), pocket watches, quartz watches, my best being a Bulova Sea King, supremely accurate, and even a G Shock.
I have a nice Steinhart Ocean One, as well but my current favorite and wear all the time watch these days is a Mido Swiss Automatic. Very nice watch for under a grand, keeps good if not perfect time, runs a little fast but I can live with it, and very nice in appearance.
As far as wearing to Africa, have worn several, nice ones too. Pictured is the Mido Ocean Star.
Bet not many have heard of them, I never had either till I went looking for a new watch a while back.
View attachment 396135
Here’s what a Mido Ocean Star looked like in the 1960s. This one belonged to my wife’s father.
CF8FA918-992D-4F5E-9507-2A24879DC4C3.jpeg

I always wear this rather abused Suunto Core. I like the very restrained light, the sunrise/sunset feature, the compass in a pinch. I just replaced the strap because it broke. I really like this watch.

20210404_231706.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that same Suunto watch and I can't read the numbers. I have the brightness turned all the way up. Love the watch but it is pain in the wrong lighting

I have that same Suunto watch and I can't read the numbers. I have the brightness turned all the way up. Love the watch but it is pain in the wrong lighting
I think the quality control on these watches is spotty. My son got the same watch and had to send it back because the buttons stuck. Maybe see if they will repair it?

After all the talk about security in South Africa I will probably leave my Rolex behind this upcoming trip, but it just wont feel right. I cant use an inferior replacement watch, that would be like driving a Chinese thing after the Landy, so I'll just have to resort to the cell phone. Then there is probably a Joburg gang that takes cell phones.....
Gosh I love Zim.

I normally wear a camouflaged Casio G-Shock. Although, I do sometimes prefer my Marathon TSAR. If it worked for astronauts, it can work for a hunter.

I had mentioned earlier that I was looking at Breitling's Endurance Pro as a light hunting watch, not to mention my every day watch with titanium band was scratching the stock of my firearms. However, after seeing it in person I cooled a bit as I wasn't crazy about the color scheme on the face plate.

Low and behold, Breitling introduced a new version of the watch called Ironman with an awesome color and faceplate. I ordered it today and it arrives tomorrow from NYC.

1623982289882.png

1623982303844.png

@Tanks I'm not usually one for the done up chrono's but that is cool. Breitling usually does the colored faces really well. I would wear the heck out of that thing.

Can you post a pic of it on your wrist when you get it?

I had mentioned earlier that I was looking at Breitling's Endurance Pro as a light hunting watch, not to mention my every day watch with titanium band was scratching the stock of my firearms. However, after seeing it in person I cooled a bit as I wasn't crazy about the color scheme on the face plate.

Low and behold, Breitling introduced a new version of the watch called Ironman with an awesome color and faceplate. I ordered it today and it arrives tomorrow from NYC.

View attachment 407464

View attachment 407465
Beautiful

I have a Casio G-Shock Gulfmaster that I wear for elk hunting. I've been wearing it the last 2-years. The isn't 100% accurate even when calibrated to the correct barometric pressure when compared to my gps. it does pretty good with vertical feet, just not starting elevation. It is usually off by 200-400'. I also was just gifted a Suunto for my birthday, and will probably be wearing it on the mountain this year.

Rolex you must be kidding
I once owned a Timex and a Citizen watch but hell that was 3 decades ago,
Never have been on time for anything and in Africa a calendar and the sun is more time than I need!

Rolex you must be kidding
I once owned a Timex and a Citizen watch but hell that was 3 decades ago,
Never have been on time for anything and in Africa a calendar and the sun is more time than I need!
This thread is about the watch you wear in Africa. You dont wear one so......

View attachment 407464

View attachment 407465

I have the titanium seawolf and am wondering how you manage to scratch the stocks?...

Wore a 1969 Rolex Sub 5513 last time. As I sit in Doha, I’m doing the Breitlimg SuperOcean. Next year, I think it will be the 1974 Rolex Rootbeer nipple dial. I want to try to get all my nicer watches to Africa to add to story when kids get them.

022E72CF-7066-4E57-9607-98A38A7D322A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg