What to do with your warthog?

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Joined
Jul 21, 2011
Messages
14,470
Reaction score
38,348
Location
North Carolina
Media
448
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
10
USA/Canada
1
Australia/NZ
1
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Eastern Cape, Free State, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia, Tanzania, Uganda
So I will hopefully be taking a warthog soon and am kinda torn on what to do with it as far as mounting goes. I've seen a few pics of skulls on plaques which I have liked, a few tusks on plaques which are growing on me, and of course shoulder mounts. I like the fact that they are ugly and unique, just not sure about getting a shoulder mount. Torn on shoulder or skull, with the saving of just skull going toward helping with the shipment of the crate, or going towards a half life, or pedestal base for floor display!

I guess I'm asking for general opinions, maybe some of your could share your mounts on here?
 
I have both a skull and mount- gotta say they make pretty cool mounts !
 
My first suggestion for the proper treatment of a Warthog. :)
IMG_1924.jpg
 
Last edited:
And now I'm in the mood for pork bbq!
 
Most of my buddies have gone with the "they are so damned ugly you just have to shoulder mount them".

I went for the tusks on a plaque myself. Simple and clean.
 
Well upon seeing mine up close and personal, my god are they ugly. I'm just going with the skull, and thinking about getting it Metalized. I've seen some pictures and I like the looks of it.
 
I have one skull and six plaques. I guess it all depends on available space for display, I have seen some very nice combinations fighting with predators, or even with another warthog.
 
I had mine done as tusks on a shield. Here is a picture, sorry about the quality. I plan to have a metal plaque with some details, such as the date engraved into it and stuck on.

image.jpeg
 
Shoulder mount gives character, a skull mounts makes a dam evil looking trophy.
 
Shoulder mount for me. It hangs above my bar in my trophy room (i.e., basement bar). Or, do like Ruark and put it in the bathroom. Agree that they are so damned ugly they are cool!
 
My wife wants one in the worst way when we go, so I am trying to encourage the tusks on a plaque idea. I personally think a skull, either camo dipped, bronzed or au natural on one of those skull hooker mounts would look great, and if I do get a bushpig, I certainly plan to do just that.
 
Reedy my first warthog was three years ago. Got him on the last day of my hunt! I just got the tusks out of him and put them in a shadow box! Now my son just got two this past hunt. The big old broken tusk boar we are shoulder mounting. The female we just had the tusks pulled and cleaned!

My wife said the darn things are so ugly they deserve to be shot!
 
Thanks for all the replies, the dilemma is still there, oh well at least Ive got some time
 
Thanks for all the replies, the dilemma is still there, oh well at least Ive got some time

Just shoot 3. That way you have all basis covered!
.
 
I like the skull bronzed. I think it highlights the white tusks. Of course I'm also running out of wall space for shoulder mounts.
 
I like the skull bronzed. I think it highlights the white tusks. Of course I'm also running out of wall space for shoulder mounts.

I starting to run out also Lee
 
So first don't think you can make a wrong choice. Here is what I did.

I really wanted a shoulder mount for the reasons others have mentioned, but I also wanted a monster pig and didn't get one. I pulled the trigger and I'm glad I did, but because he wasn't the really big tusker I wanted I decided I would go with the skull mount. If I shoot another one that doesn't fit that big tusker bill then I will likely do tusks only.

Now at some point I hope I will get that shoulder mount, but I won't quit hunting pigs. Those damn things are addictive!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,344
Messages
1,573,578
Members
169,764
Latest member
Yvette46G2
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top