What to carry

Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to purchase the Leica Trinovid 8X42's.
Great binocular! Be sure and let us know how you enjoyed your hunt after you get back. As far as I’m concerned, nothing compares to a first African safari. You’re in for the time of your life!

Yes, you’ll like the Leicas. Try different systems for carry before you go. Including realistic hunting situations— through brush, on hands and knees, crawling, etc. I tried a harness a few years ago and found I like simple sling better. Adjusted correctly they work well for most hunting and are just as easy to use if not more so than a harness. I use the KISS method for most things I carry . Including simple rifle sling similar to my binocs sling. Practice getting to a stable position on shooting sticks easily and quickly is as important as anything you will do in prep for your hunt… making sure you binocs and rifle sling don’t interfere. A scope with good eye relief and exit pupil diameter will go a long way toward making that process easier and smoother. Forget trying to use range finder and power adjustments on scope. Sight your rifle in for a point blank range compatible with caliber and hunt to that distance or less… usually about 250 yds or less for most calibers.

My binocs, simple nothing fancy, with slick and fairly thin top grain leather sling that easily rotates up from under left arm when needed. Snug enough to not flop around.
8B6B7CE7-A1B4-48AE-8AB7-9480F5582E04.jpeg

Last edited:
Anyone have a good recommendation for a quick field first aid kit off the shelf/online? We carry a full trauma kit on my vessel and I have a good one for the house but I think I'm going to need just something personal that doesn't weigh too much.

From a ph point of view
I carry binocs with built in rangefinder on a harnass
We have first aid kits in vehicle and in camp
If we hunting dangerous game then i have my gun on a strap
I have the sticks in my left hand usually
I honestly prefer client to only have his weapon amd rounds
If you want water i will carry that
I dont need him glassing animals when a quick shot is whats required
I wont let u shoot something u dont want and all that will have been discussed before we are in the field
Use your rifle acope as binocs that way you are ready to pop the safety off and bang

Its not always like this andni know some clients want to be sure and look first but this would be the ideal client

Regards

Carry the absolute utter bare minimum and even that carry in a way that you don't even notice. I have an aversion to things around my waist, so nothing on my belt at all. Four cartridges go in loops above my left pocket, then two in my double rifle or one each in my top rifgt and left shirt pockets if it isn't time yet. An opinel knife, a very light no7 in my left cargo pocket, a pair of Swarovski 7x21's in the right cargo pocket and that is it. One of the trackers carries water for the group.
21C29D2E-50B5-4D5C-89A0-861CD3A65AE7.jpeg

IMHO you are not hunting unless you have binoculars. I have spotted lots of animals first while helping glass. That said, there are times to trust your PH/Guide and just be ready to shoot.

I will always have binos, then i have a belt that goes over the top of one I am wearing. That will have some ammo, a knife, Garmin in-reach mini and tourniquet. In my pockets will be a lighter, money, pocket knife, very small flashlight and my cell phone, which I use as my camera.

I believe what @Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS is trying to say is that the first time your see intended animal with magnification after your leave the truck is when your on the shooting sticks and ready to shoot. I hunted the bush on both of my safaris and my PH's asked me to not use my binos during our stalks, so I just left mine on the truck. I'm hoping to hunt the Easter Cape in 2024 so I'll probably carry them in the field to help spot game but only during long glassing stops.

Art you’re definitely going to enjoy a hunt in the eastern cape if you use your binoculars, lots of hills, mountains and thick hillsides to study . I think if a PH asked me not to take binoculars on a hunt or stalk that would be the first time I wouldn’t listen to my PH. I may have mis- understood what tally ho was saying, no problem using the scope if an animal has already been sighted.

I always have a chat with my PH before we start hunting as to his hunting standard operating procedure's, as well as my own . For example, when the PH says shoot do not reach for binos, shoot. Aiso i shoot rather quickly and do not need someone hissing shoot, shoot in my ear. Work these things out before the heat of the moment. I am taking my binos thank you

From a ph point of view
I carry binocs with built in rangefinder on a harnass
We have first aid kits in vehicle and in camp
If we hunting dangerous game then i have my gun on a strap
I have the sticks in my left hand usually
I honestly prefer client to only have his weapon amd rounds
If you want water i will carry that
I dont need him glassing animals when a quick shot is whats required
I wont let u shoot something u dont want and all that will have been discussed before we are in the field
Use your rifle acope as binocs that way you are ready to pop the safety off and bang

Its not always like this andni know some clients want to be sure and look first but this would be the ideal client

Regards
Thank you for the perspective from a ph point of view.

I have a total of one (1) african hunting safari under my belt and I learned a lot.

I am used to hunting in the US, often on horseback in remote areas. You must be much more self reliant with first aid, tools, food and water, map & compass and other self reliance. You don't take a step into the woods without a heavy pack with all of the essentials to keep you alive for a week.

In Africa I had my pack with all this gear. It never left the truck.

As for binoculars. I had them while we were driving and glassing. Once we spotted an animal to pursue I didn't use them again unless we lost sight of him. The ph would size up the animal while I was getting my rifle on the sticks. Then I'd find him in my scope and prepare for the shot. I never used my scope to search for an animal. I don't think that is what Tally Ho was referring to when he said to use your scope for binoculars.

The only thing I took with me in the bush in Africa when we were stalking game was 5 rounds of extra ammunition. Compare that to hunting in the western US. When I get off the horse I have a heavy pack with food, ammunition, survival gear, matches & fire starters, map, compass, first aid kit ( a bid one), binoculars, camera, TP, flash lights, lots of water and other essentials. I've used absolutely everything in that big pack at one time or another while hunting in the US. Hunting in Africa is different than what US hunters are used to. Have it with, but keep it in the truck.

Hi guys!
Something new I will add to my medical bag for next trip for sure is a prescription inhaler for allergies! We are hunting earlier in the year than I ever have in South Africa and the pollen and dust got to me real bad yesterday ! So bad my PH rushed me to nearest hospital in Rustenburg last night. My oxygen levels were down into the low 60s when we arrived and I could not breath. My lungs had closed up. After a couple of inhalers on oxygen all was good.

From now on I will get some inhalers for future trips! If you have allergies and not use to the fine dust here I suggest packing one.

Hi guys!
Something new I will add to my medical bag for next trip for sure is a prescription inhaler for allergies! We are hunting earlier in the year than I ever have in South Africa and the pollen and dust got to me real bad yesterday ! So bad my PH rushed me to nearest hospital in Rustenburg last night. My oxygen levels were down into the low 60s when we arrived and I could not breath. My lungs had closed up. After a couple of inhalers on oxygen all was good.

From now on I will get some inhalers for future trips! If you have allergies and not use to the fine dust here I suggest packing one.
Very glad you are alright. Not nearly as medically serious, but electrolyte powder can make a huge difference if a person begins having serious cramps. My Dad was glad I made him pack them on a recent trip.

I prefer having binos. With range finder.
Knowing my range, makes me confident.
Some PH dont mention range to client when deciding which animal to take.

Driving in the back of 4wd is another chance for use of binos by client, better then rifle scope.

Although following does not reflect most of African hunting situations, this does happen frequently at my place. people working in the fields and on crops. Using rifle scope as bino points a muzzle involuntarily to people. Unsafe and unethical.
I do have some habits, which I prefer not to change.

But I understand simplicity behind guiding a client, who does not carry or use binocular

Its all good guys
We all have differing opinions
I onviously refer to hunting mostly in thick bush where your quarry is usually less than 100m
Animals not standing around so we dont have time for observing and glassing etc
By all means use your binocs in open country or from hill sides etc to glass game far away
But for me if you take time glassing in our type of terrain you will lose 50% of your opportunities
But at then end of the day the client is king
And i wont tell then what to do or what not to do but i will make recomemdations that will enhamce his chances and improve his overall experience

Regards

Hi guys!

This is a good plan
Even a allergy tablet each morn helps a lot
Change os seasons can be hectic on the sinuses and allergies

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg