What is this thing? And what is it for?

I assumed it would be something like this. But on a multi thousand dollar double, which in the end is in part bought for the aesthetics, I find it very bizarre to see such an "ugly" piece attached to it.
Double-barreled rifles are difficult and expensive to manufacture. As I understand it, a block of barrels is checked, if the barrels are fired differently, the block is soldered, the craftsmen conjure over the barrels, then assemble the block again - that's why double-barreled rifles are so expensive. Therefore, any mechanisms that allow you to exclude manual adjustment have become widespread.

I've seen some fine English doubles with the protruding wedge. Makes future adjustment easier.

I think if I were to spend 10k on a double, I would want it as ascetically pleasing as possible. If you need to re-regulate twenty years later, and it costs a bit more, so be it.

Well the Heym I bought, does not have this. And I just saw this in a youtube video from a couple hunting Africa. I do not know what brand his double is. So difficult to ask the manufacturer about it :)

Edit: I hope the Heym I bought won't have this :oops: just checked all the pictures I have and I cannot actually see the muzzle end... Well, it will be a surprise...
Chapuis 470 Nitro!

Double = trouble. I'll stay with my bolt guns. Hassle free and no cartridge problems.

That muzzle regulating wedge seems "oversized" to me. I have a Merkel, and it does have a protruding wedge, but it is very discreet and you have to look closely to notice it. If I had a double with a wedge sticking out that far, I'd be reaching for a flat file...

It is normal on a chapuis, it is the regulation wedge and should be left alone. All my chapuis double have them.

Seems odd, why don’t they cut them off flush after regulation?

Your guess is as good as mine, but every chapuis I have owned has one, I was told by the chapuis folks at DSC that it was like that in case it has to ever be regulated for a different load. The only one that sees it when in the field is the quarry right before you shoot.

I have got use to the look so don't even think about it anymore

It is normal on a chapuis, it is the regulation wedge and should be left alone. All my chapuis double have them.
Unless the rifle doesn’t shoot accurately, and needs re-regulated at the range. Then we should hit it with a hammer. Got it.

Disclosure: I’ve never shot or owned a double, so don’t listen to my conclusions.

I'm the Chapuis product manager for the USA. It is a patented regulating mechanism allowing for a gunsmith to tweak the regulation without as much hassle as the traditional re-soldering would require.

Unfortunately, it's definitely not something that enables the user to do the regulation himself. That would be fantastic, but Chapuis isn't there yet! :cool:

Last edited:
I'm the Chapuis product manager for the USA. It is a patented regulating mechanism allowing for a gunsmith to tweak the regulation without as much hassle as the traditional re-soldering would require.

Unfortunately, it's definitely not something that enables the user to do the regulation himself. That would be fantastic, but Chapuis isn't there yet! :cool:
Thanks for jumping in @Tom Leoni and providing your insights!

If I understand correctly the protruding part is only a (small) part of the wedge inserted between the barrels? In which case, I suppose that the protruding part is not actively helping with the regulation itself?

If one, theoretically of course (I do not own a Chapuis, nor would I contemplate executing this myself) were to file off the protruding part, it should not impact the regulating effect of the part of the wedge that is still found between the barrels? Or am I overlooking something?

Edit: I hope the Heym I bought won't have this :oops: just checked all the pictures I have and I cannot actually see the muzzle end... Well, it will be a surprise...

The two Heyms I have and the couple of dozen or so around Heym USA offices do not have it. So, I think you can lay your concerns to rest.

The two Heyms I have and the couple of dozen or so around Heym USA offices do not have it. So, I think you can lay your concerns to rest.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease @Tanks!

Hopefully one day our Heym's will meet in the field :)

I though you guys had merged with Beretta. Beretta is keeping the two divisions separate?

The Beretta Holding (which owns both Beretta USA and Benelli USA) acquired a majority ownership of Chapuis. In the US, marketing, product and distribution of Chapuis long-guns have been given to Benelli USA--which also governs Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger and Uberti. The Manhurin revolver has been given instead to Beretta USA.

I work for Benelli USA as the product manager of Uberti and Chapuis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazukoWink

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.