What have you eaten?

If you’re trying to win some sort of contest here…….you have my vote before I even read anymore replies!
Oh, I think several have got me beaten! Just curious, as some things are undiscovered treats. I'm not nearly as adventurous as that guy on TV (Andrew Zimmern, or something?)--that guy will eat ANYTHING.

One of my favorite delicacies is Kata-kat, made from freshly hunted Axis venison offal instead of mutton offal.
Most of my Western friends simply won’t try it, but when they do… they get hooked to the dish for life.

Possibly, the very worst thing I’ve ever eaten in my life was a giant cormorant that I had shot with my father’s German GECO 12 gauge side by side boxlock ejector when I was 16 years old. It was a huge bird and I actually thought that it would taste delicious. But it’s taste was absolutely putrid and disgusting. The smell was simply unbearable. When I had brought the bird back home, my mother actually gave me a sound scolding because the stench of that giant cormorant had actually filled up our entire family kitchen when our servants were plucking and cleaning it.

Raccoon, Skewered dog? I will pass.

I don't eat offal but I have tried some.

My mate likes deer heart but won't eat the filters . Can't blame him for that.

Bob, I thought you have a bit of Black fella in ya.

My cousin's mates in South Australia eat Wombat on occassion. They refer to it as underground pork.

They also dive for Abalone. They gave me one and said to mince it. Wasn't that good to me.
@CBH Australia
I am a black fella mate but I draw the line at somethings. Abalone is shit to..
Bob

Raccoon is OK if you get all the fat off. Otherwise awful greasy and rank. Skewered dog in the Phillipines. Bear is not bad. Gator tasted awful fishy. Pickled tripe is excellent. Can't even stand the stink of broccoli. Abalone, octopus, shellfish and most fish I really like. Crab is not worth the hassle to get out of the shell. Lobster claw and tail is great.
Never ate raccoon, skinned a few they had a certain smell to them, my favorite food truck in Japan after bar hopping always had a dog tied to it every night about a week later I realized it was always a different dog still was good meat on a stick

I think tying interesting foods to areas you ate them in is fun. Camel tagine in Morocco, smoked omul on the shores of lake Baikal, pig trotters and beans in Paracatu Brazil, haggis in Scotland of course, delicious! Kui (guineapig) in Peru and mundongo (tripe in Colombia). Closer to home mopani worms (not great) kapenta (delicious), buffalo tongue and nuts and impala nuts (probably the best of all.)

Whale Finn and Minkie ..a couple of dolphin species ....Puffin ,most of the Icelandic seabirds ,Swan many years ago ...But Finn whale is my favourite.....love it

Raccoon is OK if you get all the fat off. Otherwise awful greasy and rank. Skewered dog in the Phillipines. Bear is not bad. Gator tasted awful fishy. Pickled tripe is excellent. Can't even stand the stink of broccoli. Abalone, octopus, shellfish and most fish I really like. Crab is not worth the hassle to get out of the shell. Lobster claw and tail is great.
If your alligator was fishy it was likely because someone didn’t remove all of the fat from the cut. The fat is horrible, but the meat itself isn’t fishy at all (in my experience, though I will add ive only been able to try 3 different alligators so YMMV)

Speaking of octopus. I tried eating a live octopus in Korea, and half the restaurant was laughing their a$$es off watching me fight this tentacle that was sticking to my face.

Image1668863401.867194.jpg

Grilled is the way to go.

I thought Balut was mostly for pregnant women...
It's very common in the Philippines. Either chicken or duck egg balut. I think a way to "normalize" and not waste a food item such as 3/4 incubated eggs if found in a clutch. OK if you can get past the bill, toe nails and feathers.... heheheh ;)

A pic on Crumb-Bataan street Digos City, Mindanao-- get your tire fixed or vulcanized and pick up balut at the same time- entrepreneurial spirit is alive there! :)

IMG_0008 2.JPG

Last edited:
Frog
Turtle
Snake
Lizard
Alligator
Horse
Marmot
Sheep Intestine
Armadillo
Whale
Walrus
Seal
Eel
Snail
Octopus………….etc., etc., etc.
And like so many other, fellow wandering souls here, I could go on all day.

Perhaps listing what we have not yet eaten might be easier. LoL

It's very common in the Philippines. Either chicken or duck egg balut. I think a way to "normalize" and not waste a food item such as 3/4 incubated eggs if found in a clutch. OK if you can get past the bill, toe nails and feathers.... heheheh ;)

A pic on Crumb-Bataan street Digos City, Mindanao-- get your tire fixed or vulcanized and pick up balut at the same time- entrepreneurial spirit is alive there! :)

View attachment 501113
STRANGELY AWARD WINNING SUSHI IS AVAILABLE AT A GAS STATION IN A LITTLE HAMLET OUTSIDE ENNIS, TX....run by a retired Japanese couple

Frog
Turtle
Snake
Lizard
Alligator
Horse
Marmot
Sheep Intestine
Armadillo
Whale
Walrus
Seal
Eel
Snail
Octopus………….etc., etc., etc.
And like so many other, fellow wandering souls here, I could go on all day.

Perhaps listing what we have not yet eaten might be easier. LoL
Specify turtle...l wouldn't give two bits for soft-shelled, but alligator snapper is good somehow

Specify turtle...l wouldn't give two bits for soft-shelled, but alligator snapper is good somehow
The only time I’ve eaten turtle was in Iowa, USA.
Presumably it was a local river turtle / common variety of some sort.
At the time I was a child and remember someone mentioning the name of whomever had caught it while trying for catfish.
One of my relatives had made it into a soup.
The broth was clear and the chunks of meat in it were tender.
I recall enjoying it but my father, even though raised on a farm in that area, wouldn’t eat it.

Horse- had a horse steak one time. Dark meat with little fat, not bad at all but a little too rich IIRC

My great nephew eats balut once in a while. Always has a taunting grin in the process. Better him than me- bon appetit :)

Unknown-5.jpeg

Last edited:
Did anybody try an Alpine marmot? Ages ago I shot a few and decided to taste it. Before coking, quite obviously the marmot had to skinned. While before the operation the marmot had a very light smell of hay, skinning transferred the smell of fat to my hands and forearms.
At the end I washed my arms with a potent cleaning powder (not more available today, probably a dangerous chemical weapon) and joined my wife, waiting for me in the car. When I got in the car she jumped outside due to the stink.
However, we decided to try cooking the poor marmot: the result was disgusting, tasting like a very oily nut!
Many years later, a group of friends organised a venison dinner with woodcock, wildboar and marmot.
All three were delicious but, at the moment for an encore, everybody opted for the marmot.
It seems that there are many tricks to wash away the marmot smell (similar, but much stronger, to red deer smell). Some traditional alpine recipes suggest to put the carcass it in a mountain creek for one day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross