steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
I have eaten about everything from cane rat in West Africa, to milk curdled with fresh cow urine in Southern Sudan with the occasional dash of fu-fu, in the west, and sadza in the southern camps of Africa.
Stateside, I was tempted to try bobcat the other day, but didn't--would it be good/safe (I remember that gutting a fox bare handed can incur liver worms/death in infected cases)
what have you adventurously eaten overseas or stateside. What can you recommend that most have not tried, but should?

Namibia, smoked zebra ham, was delicious.

Zim, impala testicles, I went to the skinning shed and admired the extremely clean job they did of skinning my Impala. I pointed at the balls as I was just amazed at how they skinned around them perfectly. The skinner nodded his head and pointed it as well. Next thing I know he’s cut them off brought them to the cook. 15 minutes later they’re back with some peppers on a skewer. I couldn’t not eat it.

I have eaten about everything from cane rat in West Africa, to milk curdled with fresh cow urine in Southern Sudan with the occasional dash of fu-fu, in the west, and sadza in the southern camps of Africa.
Stateside, I was tempted to try bobcat the other day, but didn't--would it be good/safe (I remember that gutting a fox bare handed can incur liver worms/death in infected cases)
what have you adventurously eaten overseas or stateside. What can you recommend that most have not tried, but should?
Bobcat is actually good to eat, so I only cooked it once and this might not count since it was marinated, wrapped in bacon and smoked. Doug3006 had shot it and gave it to me as my family eats wild game on Christmas. Our hunting club served cougar at a function and I remember it tasted like veal. I’ve tried most North American mammals, the only food that I know I will never eat again is buffalo stomach. The trackers in Zambia had cooked it and left the partially digested grass in it, when we asked to try it they were surprise. I bit into a piece and it squirted this acrid juice into the back of my throat that caused my to gag, not wanting to rude and spit it out, I swallowed it without chewing ( like a snake).

I've eaten normal variety in Africa I guess- like most African antelope, buffalo, ostrich, small dried fish, elephant, common birds. The ostrich I've had- not very good. The guinea fowl have been excellent. The elephant has been very tough but had a good taste like bison or buffalo. Even the waterbuck biltong was very good- after hearing how bad waterbuck was- go figure. Most antelope very good.

Around here most everything normally eaten or tried. Some of the worst have been ducks/geese of any variety including mallard but some of the best conversely was smoked mallard. Rattle snake wasn't bad, mountain lion was pretty good. Most wild sheep excellent. Ibex was old goat bad! Alligator wasn't bad. Mutton stew on a really cold day with 1/2 inch of sheep fat hardened on top, not good period. Beaver not good but fried tail ok. Porcupine and raccoon not good. Moose ribs, done properly, excellent and the best "deer" I've ever eaten even compared to good whitetail, mule deer, elk and caribou. Pronghorn most not that good but some ok if made into Italian sausage. Black bear varies- some really good, some not good. Spring brown bear nope- smells just like year-old rotten salmon. Sandhill crane I like, reminds me of mourning dove, which I've eaten since very young. Most other upland birds good. Most fish good. Frog legs good. Most liver very good if prepared right. The heart I've tried not so good to my taste. Blood pudding- not good. Deer mountain oysters- not bad-not good... eh. Been offered muktuk and balut- politely passed on both. :)

I may have missed some but that's a reasonable sample.

Last edited:
I’ve eaten african lion backstraps grilled on the braii. They were actually very good. And I’m not actually sure what all I’ve eaten around the campfire as appetizers, but many came from inside the animal. Some very good, some not so much.
Cape buffalo balls, also very good! Klipspringer backstraps also on the braii. These were very good, but had a unique flavor. Best I can describe they had a hint of flavor like the vegetation in the area the klipsringer were living. Kind of natural seasoning I guess!
Reedbuck is also incredibly good.
I’ve eaten North American Mountain Lion on a number of occasions and have never spit it out. The bobcat I have attempted to eat I have spit out! Tasted like the smell of cat piss.
Beaver is very tasty! @spike.t , I have Tee’d that up just for you! :E Lol: If you use your imagination it’s a bit like a cross between venison and waterfowl, but very tasty.
Porcupine is ok but can be greasy.
One of my very favorite wild game meats is black bear. Fall black bears that have been eating berries for several months are a delicacy. Wonderful!

Bobcat is actually good to eat, so I only cooked it once and this might not count since it was marinated, wrapped in bacon and smoked. Doug3006 had shot it and gave it to me as my family eats wild game on Christmas. Our hunting club served cougar at a function and I remember it tasted like veal. I’ve tried most North American mammals, the only food that I know I will never eat again is buffalo stomach. The trackers in Zambia had cooked it and left the partially digested grass in it, when we asked to try it they were surprise. I bit into a piece and it squirted this acrid juice into the back of my throat that caused my to gag, not wanting to rude and spit it out, I swallowed it without chewing ( like a snake).
Well, cat meat LOOKS like veal, smells clean, but I was tired from dressing a deer and waited till morning to skin it--too late? It was cold outside, but ungutted I thought maybe to warm too long. Now, turkeys, if you don't open them up to cool, retain heat like crazy.
Whoops, thanks, IdaRam for the heads up on cat piss tasting bobcat....

I've eaten normal variety in Africa I guess- like most African antelope, buffalo, ostrich, small dried fish, elephant, common birds. The ostrich I've had- not very good. The guinea fowl have been excellent. The elephant has been very tough but had a good taste like bison or buffalo. Even the waterbuck biltong was very good- after hearing how bad waterbuck was- go figure. Most antelope very good.

Around here most everything normally eaten or tried. Some of the worst have been ducks/geese of any variety including mallard but some of the best conversely was smoked mallard. Rattle snake wasn't bad, mountain lion was pretty good. Most wild sheep excellent. Ibex was old goat bad! Alligator wasn't bad. Mutton stew on a really cold day with 1/2 inch of sheep fat hardened on top, not good period. Beaver not good but fried tail ok. Porcupine and raccoon not good. Moose ribs, done properly, excellent and the best "deer" I've ever eaten even compared to good whitetail, mule deer, elk and caribou. Pronghorn most not that good but some ok if made into Italian sausage. Black bear varies- some really good, some not good. Spring brown bear nope- smells just like year-old rotten salmon. Sandhill crane I like, reminds me of mourning dove, which I've eaten since very young. Most other upland birds good. Most fish good. Frog legs good. Most liver very good if prepared right. The heart I've tried not so good to my taste. Blood pudding- not good. Deer mountain oysters- not bad-not good... eh. Been offered muktuk and balut- politely passed on both. :)

I may have missed some but that's a reasonable sample.
Maybe should try duck sausage?... Impala liver is fine, fine

I’ll list mine in two categories.

stuff that tastes like chicken and stuff that doesn’t:

chicken like:

chicken

Unlike chicken:

Brown bear….tasted pretty good. Sort of sweet.
Dugong/Manatte…..like beef
Flying fox/fruit bat ….bland, needed salt
Turtle. Both salt and fresh water. Tasted like turtle.
Flies…..thousands of the barstards…all consumed unintentionally. Not as chewy as sultana
Goanna…..just a tiny nibble

the only food that I know I will never eat again is buffalo stomach. The trackers in Zambia had cooked it and left the partially digested grass in it, when we asked to try it they were surprise. I bit into a piece and it squirted this acrid juice into the back of my throat that caused my to gag, not wanting to rude and spit it out, I swallowed it without chewing ( like a snake).
That is definitely not how its supposed to be prepared.
Usually its cleaned really well and washed out nicely. Although i still dont like it, it is usually clean with no "bits" left in it.

Hippo nuts or "Luangwa Calamari" is good and enjoyed by clients until they ask what it is.
But definitely better that the tripe (chifu as they call it in Zambia).

giraffe is great meat, very light in colour. not talking about a big old bull, cull size
make great biltong, burgers, the fillets(tenderloins) are very sweet

Beside eating game animal, I've eaten monkey in the jungles of Nicaragua. I've also eaten possum, armadillo, and a number of snakes. Sea turtle eggs & sea turtle in Nicaragua as well. Shhhh, don't tell PETA or the greenies. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I’ve had plenty of squirrels, frogs, turtle, and rattlesnake. Haggis, of course. Most kinds of sushi and raw octopus (though a friend got to eat them alive).

Nothing too crazy though, but I’m still young and springy plenty of time to eat something that will kill me.

Most dangerous food I have eaten was Greek food in Las Cruces, lost my appendix over that one.

I’ve had plenty of squirrels, frogs, turtle, and rattlesnake. Haggis, of course. Most kinds of sushi and raw octopus (though a friend got to eat them alive).

Nothing too crazy though, but I’m still young and springy plenty of time to eat something that will kill me.

Most dangerous food I have eaten was Greek food in Las Cruces, lost my appendix over that one.
Again, where is the puke emoji.

Speaking of octopus. I tried eating a live octopus in Korea, and half the restaurant was laughing their a$$es off watching me fight this tentacle that was sticking to my face.

My X wife’s cooking not for the squeamish or faint of heart!

Lon

Just about every part of an animal, about the the only thing I WILL NOT eat again is boiled bushpig stomach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!