What do you call this cat?

Mountain Lion
View attachment 395557
cougar
View attachment 395558
puma
View attachment 395559
this completes today’s lesson
@Bullthrower338.
I didn't need the lesson mate but appreciate the simplicity of your lesson and personally feel you are correct.
We don't have mountain loins in Australia but have plenty of cougars. These can get pretty vicious at times especially with each other when being stalked by toy boys in pumas in their natural environment (bars). The higher quality cougar much prefer to be stalked by toy boys in nike as they appear to make better financial partners for mating purposes.
Bob
 
They are used interchangeably, mountain lion or cougar.

North Carolina
 
Last edited:
Felix concolor my high school biology class.

As I was growing up, my grandmother would tell the story of being chased by a “painter” as a little girl in Alabama. I never understood why there was a “painter any where near her house because they were to poor to have paint on their house. It was years later that I realized that her soft southern accent was turning panther into painter.
 
Our DOW regulations and licenses call them mountain lions.
Colorado

Me, I call them beautiful and exciting when you see them in the wild! Just got my 2021 license to hunt them starting the month of April. Another year I will make some trips to the mountains to try to call one in. One of my goals before I get too old and can no longer keep the old man out.
 
Our DOW regulations and licenses call them mountain lions.
Colorado

Me, I call them beautiful and exciting when you see them in the wild! Just got my 2021 license to hunt them starting the month of April. Another year I will make some trips to the mountains to try to call one in. One of my goals before I get too old and can no longer keep the old man out.
I like calling them in if its hot outside and i can sit in the arizona shade. Lol
But if its cooler, i like to track them. I just find fresh tracks and follow them for about 1/2 a mile, then turn around and go back. I always catch them trying to circle around me.
When I was young, we saw a jaguar every now and then. That was really exciting. Havent seen or heard abput one in my area since like 1990 or so. But we still have plenty of lions and bobcats out here.
 
Panther, if in Mississippi. And yes I have seen one in MS, even though the MS Game and Fish denies they exist in the state.
 
Cougars
Allegedly there extinct in eastern Canada but enough sightings tracks an photos turn up every year to argue the point.

I’m in Nova Scotia.
 
I'm in Colorado and only know them as "mountain lion" but another name that I've seen in print is catamount (according to Webster Dictionary - short for cat-a-mountain). Here is mine - 2016 near Meeker, CO. It was a big tom - 210 lbs!!!
IMG_0597.JPG

 
Every time I hear the word "Cougar", I think of girls I used to take home from the bar when I was in my 20's and 30's. Generally they were brunettes.
 
:) :) :)

Mountain West US. I've always used mountain lion. However cougar is also common.

In addition to mountain lion and cougar, have heard other names used including:
leon', catamount, puma, panther and painter.
 
TPWD in their Outdoor Annual list them as Mountain Lion.

I have heard and used both here in South Texas/Hill Country.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,370
Messages
1,574,410
Members
170,037
Latest member
EvaBoyles
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top