Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI; DSC
Hunted
Most of US, Canada, South America, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Uganda, Cameroon, Spain, Serbia, Slovenia, Macedonia
I recently had a chance to spend some time in a great camp in Zimbabwe. Around the camp fire, the property manger and I got into a very good discussion about “non-trophy” hunts. He and the PHs that hunt the property have had some trouble booking “non-trophy” hunts. In there case, “non-trophy” mostly means low scoring, but still old and mature animals.

Many people seem to view African hunting as “way to expensive.” I disagree, but that’s not the point. Many great PHs and camps offer some great “non-trophy” hunts at great rates.

So, I thought it was a good question to ask the AH community.

Is there really a lack of interest in these hunts, or are folks concerned that it might be substandard trip, or is it that once you commit to Africa you are targeting specific game and are committed to the cost? Or is it a marketing issue. I am genuinely curious.

Admittedly my “sitting room” is pretty full of taxidermy so the next trophy mount is not something I really do anyway, but I have really enjoyed the non-trophy hunts I’ve been able to do. I have also found them to be great for kids and new hunters to get a lot of very good hunting experience at very affordable rates.

Thoughts?

A year ago my answer would’ve been different but honestly after the very high cost associated with shipping trophies back home that I’ve paid out this year due to the world going nuts, a safari without those costs looks a lot more appealing. My taxidermy was a cost I was able to know before hand but add the increased shipping cost to that and it came out to more than the safari cost. That expense could have been another safari or a top shelf horseback pack in elk hunt.
Less trophies shipped home will translate into more hunting trips for me in the future.
So, in my opinion, if these fuel costs continue to stay at the current level or rise further, they will likely have less trouble booking those types of hunts in the future.

I've had clients hunt with me that took non trophy animals during their trophy hunt. Usually when all the priority animals are in the salt, and we have some time to kill. Hunting something like female impala is cheap, great fun and usually more challenging than one would expect.

What I had as well. Clients booking 2 hunts a season. On the first hunt they will shoot one or 2 younger female animals for meat purposes. I have the carcass butchered and on their next safari I prepare all the food using the meat from their first hunt. Tenderloin, sausage, hamburgers, biltong etc... Delicious

Is there really a lack of interest in these hunts, or are folks concerned that it might be substandard trip, or is it that once you commit to Africa you are targeting specific game and are committed to the cost? Or is it a marketing issue. I am genuinely curious.
About non trophy hunts I only heard about on this forum.
They are not often advertised.
So that is the main point.

Hunt booking agents, and outfitters in my opinion will be first offering trophy hunts, because they are more expensive. Then only secondly, maybe, non trophy hunts will be offered.

On game farms, culling hunts from time to time are offered, but it is maybe one offer, compared to 10 trophy hunt PG packages.

In wild game areas, there are non-trophy elephants, and non trophy buffalo. What about the rest?
I am certain somebody hunts non-trophy animals even in wild areas, but they are rarely advertised.
Non trophy kudu, and non trophy eland, package in Zimbabwe? Has anybody heard about that ever?

Advertising, or not, I wouldn't mind going hunting for non trophy animals. Especially in wilderness areas, with exportable "trophy", on reduced prices and especially for prime species.
For such hunt, the question needs to be clarified if the antlers, and sculls can be exported or not, which probably will depend from case to case?

About non trophy hunts I only heard about on this forum.
They are not often advertised.
So that is the main point.

Hunt booking agents, and outfitters in my opinion will be first offering trophy hunts, because they are more expensive. Then only secondly, maybe, non trophy hunts will be offered.

On game farms, culling hunts from time to time are offered, but it is maybe one offer, compared to 10 trophy hunt PG packages.

In wild game areas, there are non-trophy elephants, and non trophy buffalo. What about the rest?
I am certain somebody hunts non-trophy animals even in wild areas, but they are rarely advertised.
Non trophy kudu, and non trophy eland, package in Zimbabwe? Has anybody heard about that ever?

Advertising, or not, I wouldn't mind going hunting for non trophy animals. Especially in wilderness areas, with exportable "trophy", on reduced prices and especially for prime species.
For such hunt, the question needs to be clarified if the antlers, and sculls can be exported or not, which probably will depend from case to case?
On all three of my hunts I went for a good representation of the species I wanted. If it happened to be a trophy quality, so much the better. A few measured well but were not necessarily book specimens. All were old mature animals that were no longer in the breeding pool. At times finding such was as much of a challenge as pure trophy hunting and some of the culling was not all that easy. The main reward was in giving the meat to the locals and seeing their appreciation.

As has been mentioned, I think if I go back, it will be on a management hunt. Plenty of hunting, shooting, hides to bring home if desired, and no heavy trophy shipping fees and much more economical taxidermy. Besides that, I have no more space for mounts.

I don't collect trophies but as a keen hunter and shooter who mostly shoots pests I asked for a management/cull hunt and recieved plenty of affordable offers.

The meat is still utilised and I still had the Africa hunting experience. All is well.

I've done two such hunts and they both worked out great. After 14 hunting trips to Africa, I'm done with taxidermy. I don't like hunting female animals so finding an outfitter who is willing to offer a hunt just for non-trophy males is somewhat difficult.

I could see myself doing a non-trophy hunt. However, I am going all the way to Africa and would want to negotiate to include a couple of trophy animals to send home.

To me the pleasure of hunting Africa is, well, hunting Africa. I've had this discussion recently with one of my closest hunting buddies. Short answer: yes, a non-trophy (or cull) hunt would be just as exciting a trip as one for trophies. The benefits:

1 - You're still hunting, and non-trophy animals present the same challenges as their trophy counterparts

2 - In a cull hunt you may end up hunting more, which means learning more about the terrain and the animals

3 - You can still eat the meat

4 - You can still bring home the skins

5 - You can still bring home the pictures and the memories

6 - The actual hunt costs a good half of a trophy hunt

7 - The taxidermy, shipping and customs costs are very low

8 - Nothing precludes you from adding a trophy while on the cull hunt.

Earlier this year shipping costs have hit if not an all-time high, at least a vertiginous peak, and they are bound to settle back down. Having said that, the financial commitment of a cull hunt makes it a lot more likely for a hunter to go to Africa more frequently. I am seriously considering making my next hunt a cull hunt with perhaps a trophy or two added to it. Also easier to convince my buddy to go with, since hunting with a friend is even more fun. A win-win all around.

I enjoy hunting. The "trophy" to me is the animal I choose to kill at the end of the hunt, if any. I don't need the largest or gold medal set of horns. Instead, I want the oldest animal I can find, which is usually the toughest and smartest (to have lived longer than most others). A perfect example is the buffalos I have hunted. The biggest I have shot is about a 42" specimen, but my real trophy is a scrum cap with virtually no hair left on him. He was my toughest hunt, and I passed over a number of animals before finding him (on the last day of my hunt).

I have shot a fair number of antelope with one horn, or one broken horn, and I have never found those hunts to be less satisfying than shooting a version with complete horns or massive horns.

And now I have more taxidermy than I can ever hope to put up, so I've given a bunch away, and no more comes home.

But now that I'm older, I still hunt, and I get as much of a thrill as I did when I was younger and more easily seduced by size (!).

I don’t have any trophies and don’t really want any either.
I hunt for the experience,and at home- for food.
So I’m good with hunting what’s available,single horn,medal, whatever.
That being said,I really like leatherwork so I might bring some hides home.
And perhaps horn/bone for knife making.

My ideal buff is a scrum cap. Most would consider that a non trophy. To me it's the ultimate trophy! Curled horn gemsbok? Trophy in my book. Broken horn animals I have no problem harvesting as long as they are old animals.
I keep the tape in the truck.
I see cull hunts offered and they sound like a lot of fun. I will look harder at those offers, after all, you're still in Africa!

On safari I normally ask for male representatives, do ask for horn size so all are on same page, but do not worry about inches. On every safari I have asked for non trophy males available and I have shot lots. When the "trophy" is in the salt no need to stay in camp at the fire, non trophies allow the hunt to continue. Its about the hunt not "collecting" for me.

My Zim ele was a non trophy and ranks as one of my best hunts. I have never had a "cull hunt", shooting x number of animals in short time with head shots seams more like killing. Good for some but not why I safari. Now a day or afternoon spent shooting Guinee fowl, hyrax, baboons, meat for camp or even kudu with rabies are hunts I have done, fully enjoy and will ask for on every safari..

MB

Straight from the button hole here: Have had inquiries on cull/management hunts and found ONE that the price wasn't exorbitant. IMHO, if the outfitter/farm owner wants animals KILLED, he should charge a reasonable price, not 10% below a same animal trophy hunt. YMMV.

Straight from the button hole here: Have had inquiries on cull/management hunts and found ONE that the price wasn't exorbitant. IMHO, if the outfitter/farm owner wants animals KILLED, he should charge a reasonable price, not 10% below a same animal trophy hunt. YMMV.

This reminds me of driving through Texas and seeing all the signs saying "Hog Hunters Needed" and then they want to charge you $300+ a day to hunt their property.

One outfitter from Namibia told me that the no trophy animal can not be exported. I don't know why? Or i if there's a restriction in some countries regarding size?
Cull hunt/management hunt is great way to do more hunting, test different meats.
The cost of shipping and taxidermist is so painful.
I am thinking instead bring 5 trophies, just bring one or two out of a group of hunted animal, the problem though is maybe the cost of shipping might still high for 2 trophies.
As for the outfitters, most likely it part of the marketing "big trophies " it would not help them to say "come hunt non trophies with us".
For me I just want a challenging hunt not bigger size.

This reminds me of driving through Texas and seeing all the signs saying "Hog Hunters Needed" and then they want to charge you $300+ a day to hunt their property.
Out on a limb here but I call BS on most US pig hunts. I am also flabbergasted at the rates to exterminate the "crop damaging scourge" that pigs are supposed to be. If you want them gone, don't feed them at feeders, charge me a cheap per pig rate, trespass fee, let me stay in motel/hotel or on ranch for low rates and I will gladly help reduce your pig problem. The rates for pig hunts are almost same as game hunts. Defeats the point in my eyes, or BS and way to capitalize on the scourge that's maybe not as real as portrayed.

That way of thinking has not hit the African safari industry in my eyes. TF for non trophies seam like a bargain in my eyes. All outfits have given me free animals at their discretion if I want to shoot some more.

MB

One outfitter from Namibia told me that the no trophy animal can not be exported. I don't know why? Or i if there's a restriction in some countries regarding size?
Cull hunt/management hunt is great way to do more hunting, test different meats.
The cost of shipping and taxidermist is so painful.
I am thinking instead bring 5 trophies, just bring one or two out of a group of hunted animal, the problem though is maybe the cost of shipping might still high for 2 trophies.
As for the outfitters, most likely it part of the marketing "big trophies " it would not help them to say "come hunt non trophies with us".
For me I just want a challenging hunt not bigger size.
Namibia does have minimum trophy standards. I’m not sure if that affects export, but your hunting permit only allows 2 of each species.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviaJoine

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.