What could you just not resist at DSC?

I made a purchase with the Rigby folks. The very British guy waiting on me had one of those Friar Tuck haircuts, which was somewhat comical. My purchase? A brown, long sleeve shirt.

Talked with a couple Namibian outfitters for 2025 hunts.
Tony (Friar Tuck) is an absolute gem, he and Marc took wonderful care of us when we visited the shop in London this past October.

Those rifles speak to me for sure. Since you have looked into these some can you please share a ballpark budget for a double from him? Just curious if these are within my reach or not. A "standard" type one without all the frills. Even just a range so I can mentally start budgeting something. Much appreciated. Cheers

The double he had at the show was $19k I believe.. but it was highly engraved and had other upgrades… I’m going to guess an “entry” level double would be considerably less…

The double he had at the show was $19k I believe.. but it was highly engraved and had other upgrades… I’m going to guess an “entry” level double would be considerably less…
Thank you sir, that is what I needed to know.

For the .470:
2 Boxes of Swift A-Frames
2 Boxes of North Fork Bonded Cores
2 Boxes of North Fork Cup Point Solids
all of the 500gr variety. This amounted to more than what I spent on airline tix for both myself and Donna.

The hat enablers like @Red Leg had me stopping in at the Rand Hats booth....twice. I was close to pulling the trigger on a Cry Macho Drover. But with it being an 8-10 month lead time, I wouldn't have it in time for my trip to Moz this coming June. So I put that on hold.....there's always SCI however.

Great thread - really enjoyed convention this year and getting to meet a few of you in person.

I booked my buffalo hunt with Dries van Coller next year and bought @Sue Tidwell 's book. Bailey's work is calling me too - I'll second everyone's thoughts on him as a person and gunmaker. Outstanding. I'll leaning towards a single shot rising block in 7.65R.

Regarding the comments on Bailey's version of Hoenig's rotary action - it is true that he makes his own (the only one that I am aware of). But Bailey being the gunmaker he is, has gotten a new wrinkle in the mix - a fixed bolt rotary action PLUS a magazine. No name for it yet and still a prototype, but very slick in the hands.

Before he updated his website it had pricing and I believe the single shot starts at around $7k and the double was around $16k IIRC

Dave I have been looking at Bailey's work from a distance for awhile. I have a couple of double rifles built by Aaron Little who worked with Bailey before starting his own shop. Both the single and the double rising block rifles speak to me. I stood there for quite awhile looking at it while Bailey and Mark Ouellette traded military memories. I think Mark decided if he was going to get a photo of it he would have to include me as I wasn't putting it back! I will think seriously on a project with Bailey.

I looked at them too, they are very nice. I just was not sure if I would like the functionality of one. Obviously that would only come into play if you needed to quickly reload the rifle. The first two shots will be the same no matter what the action type.

Arno makes a beautiful knife…

We only bought a couple of vests in the DSC store after they went on sale this afternoon… and we managed to land a great deal on an auction hunt in New Zealand… those were the only purchases made…

I’ve never been one for “finery” when it comes to rifles… I absolutely understand guys that fall in love with beautiful walnut and ornate deep blue/black steel… I tend to lust after rigbys and resign myself to more pedestrian Mauser actioned rifles or winchesters or rugers, etc…

But after spending some time with Bailey Bradshaw at our Bos en Dal party Thursday night.. and then some more time with him this afternoon… I’m seriously thinking about taking the plunge on one of his single shots… they are the epitome of elegance and beauty in a firearm I think… and while certainly not cheap, they are incredibly well priced for the quality of the craftsmanship and the beauty of the final product…

His prototype rifle with the twist action that he had on the table would be incredible in something like 7x57R… or his rising bite single shot is a super nice option as well…

Let's not forget that Bailey Bradshaw is also an Africa Hunting member.
He is also a US Navy veteran who served as a Fire Control (FC rating) technician. Military fire control is the control of the fire of weapons. Aboard ship, fire control is very complex as the ship may likely be pitching and listing as the Combat Information Center (CIC) needs rounds on target. Only those with a high degree of electronics, mechanical, and spatial orientation (3-dimensional ) skills are selected for fire control.

So why do I bring up Bailey's fire control background? Why indeed, because multi-skilled Bailey builds his rifles from scratch. His broad skillset affords him the ability to build the entire gun, lock, stock and barrel! He doesn't outsource anything. Now that's gunsmithing!

View attachment 580637View attachment 580638
I have been using a Bradshaw "rising block" single shot for about five years now. It is a long, lean, elegant, and extremely accurate 7x65R. It has earned its place as my favorite deer rifle. I can not praise it or him more highly.
Axis Deer Hunt

Whitetail Deer Hunt

Bradshaw Rising Block Single Shot

Those rifles speak to me for sure. Since you have looked into these some can you please share a ballpark budget for a double from him? Just curious if these are within my reach or not. A "standard" type one without all the frills. Even just a range so I can mentally start budgeting something. Much appreciated. Cheers
The single started around 10k and the double around 20k. Options go up from there of course. I think Bailey's stock work is incredibly well done. The engraving was not my cup of tea but that's just a matter of style. I would be very happy with a somewhat plain finished gun with a nice stock and no engraving.

It ALL depends upon condition.
Of course. That's why I said "not unreasonable" and not "great price".

I was also thinking if he bothered to get it all the way to DSC and put it on display, it wouldn't be out of battery, pitted, or a rusted heap...

Phil, I was thinking David’s, or National Roper Supply. Fort Worth has stores of course but Decauter is home of a lot of professional Rodeo members. So a little less touristy and a little more for your money.

I was shopping for Non Trophy Elephant 2026 or 2027, I'm going in April instead, I'm pretty Jacked.
I also didn't win anything in the raffles

I was shopping for Non Trophy Elephant 2026 or 2027, I'm going in April instead, I'm pretty Jacked.
I also didn't win anything in the raffles
Wow...you moved it up 2-3 years. Who you going with and is it non-trophy?

I just helped another guy book ele. That's 3 in 2 days. Man, when is my next ele?? Probably '25 but I will go for several buff, another croc and who knows what else this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VC-USA

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double