Well I've Done It Now!!! (Joining The R8 Cult)

@TOBY458 nice rifle bro. I have seen your kitchen soo many times I think I will know my way around it if I ever visit. I feel a 500j barrel in the future may be heading your way.
Not too sure about a 500 J. But a 404 J doesn't sound bad...

Not too sure about a 500 J. But a 404 J doesn't sound bad...
go for a 458 lott barrel ab few more grains always helps

Well....ever since selling my R8 Professional in 375 H&H and 7mm Rem Mag to @BeeMaa, I kept second guessing my decision. So, since I have always admired the R8 Luxus and Jaeger, with the wooden stock, I couldn't resist this one. It's unfired with only a few very minor safe dings on the stock. Has a beautiful stock with a classic pancake cheekpiece. The kickstop in the stock makes it a bit heavier than I like, but I plan to remove that asap. Overall a beautiful rifle!

View attachment 394830View attachment 394831
I saw the photos first before reading and my first thought was “I wonder how much longer before he sells the other R8 and how much less sales tax I could have paid if I bought it from you instead of buying mine at the gun shop.” But then I read you sold it already. I think you need a ruger mini-14 ranch rifle blued and wood stock next. I think I’d like to own one about July this year Lol.

I took the kick stop out this evening. It weighs 16oz exactly. So now the bare rifle weighs 8lbs 4oz. Somewhat heavier than the Professional I had, but still not too heavy. With a small scope and the Blaser saddle mount I should be able to keep it close to 9lbs, if not over just a bit.

@TOBY458 and I have done some measurements, comparing his semi-weight (19mm) channeled wood stocked Jaeger to my wife's safari weight (22mm) channeled wood stocked Intuition. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. They are off by about .050" with the safari channel being just that much larger. It is enough that a safari barrel in a semi-weight channel would be touching the stock.

From the looks of things, the extra material could be hand sanded out to accommodate a safari barrel. However if you then wish to use a standard weight barrel the gap between the stock and barrel would be that much more.

The choice is yours, but now we know that there is a significant (however slight) difference in the barrel channel from semi-weight to safari.

The extra space (.059”) is an additional barrel “ cooling” vent! :A Thumbs Up:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeonardMrh

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross
FDP wrote on dogcat1's profile.
Hello, did both follow through with their transactions? If not, I'll take a pair
Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!