Warthog Skeleton

Great work. I've always been fascinated by the preparation and results of quality skeleton mounts.

Very cool project- please keep us updated on the progress.
Interesting

So yesterday i spend some more Time on the Skeleton.
Some bones sadly have some little rust stains, but ill maybe cover that with an airbrush.

IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG
e5f06dd7-2cce-428c-8566-f3126cc17e55.jpg
914030e7-8f26-4c1e-8565-ac80d4a4cd55.jpg

Now there is just some work left:

- articulation of the last Finger bones
- attaching the sternum and rebuilding the cartilage
-proper attachment to the Support

Liking it thus far- keep it coming. I've always wanted a rattlesnake done like that.
Thanks, im currently also working on cobra skeleton :)
In generel iam building 90% Bird and reptile skeletons, since i dont have enough space for many skeletons in this size.

Agreed … 1st project of this type I’ve came across & what a cool idea/project!! You may have started a NEW trend …

Would you be willing to share your secret sauce for the degreasing & whitening? The whitening & texture is very nice …

Cool stuff!

There is no real secret.
The best way to receive clean bones is maceration (rotting in warm water). if you keep the Temperature between 25°C to 33°C the bones should be free from meat in about 5-7days.

After that, the degreasing could be done in warm water (the best would be 40-48°C) with dawn and maybe a little ammonia

That will take several weeks with a weekly changing of the water. When the water dont get cloudy anymore, it should be done.

The bones could be whitened with hydrogen peroxide now.
Sometimes (on bigger animlas like this) ill also soak them in pure acetone for some days, just to make sure there is no grease left.

If the bones were boiled before, they could be already damaged a bit, so you would need to be careful

Fantastic work!!! Please keep us posted!

This is very enteresting, thank you for the lesson, I am always exiting to learn more and yours really is a kind of art!
It would be cool to do it one day on a even bigger sleleton like an elk or a bison!
I have a bison skull that was cleaned by beetles, and is totally clean indeed, but it seems having still some grease...

This is very enteresting, thank you for the lesson, I am always exiting to learn more and yours really is a kind of art!
It would be cool to do it one day on a even bigger sleleton like an elk or a bison!
I have a bison skull that was cleaned by beetles, and is totally clean indeed, but it seems having still some grease...
Iam also working with beetles at home (mostly on much smaller animals, up to roe deer or wild boar skulls), but the degreasing is much easier when they are cleaned via maceration.

Thanks, im currently also working on cobra skeleton :)
In generel iam building 90% Bird and reptile skeletons, since i dont have enough space for many skeletons in this size.

There is no real secret.
The best way to receive clean bones is maceration (rotting in warm water). if you keep the Temperature between 25°C to 33°C the bones should be free from meat in about 5-7days.

After that, the degreasing could be done in warm water (the best would be 40-48°C) with dawn and maybe a little ammonia

That will take several weeks with a weekly changing of the water. When the water dont get cloudy anymore, it should be done.

The bones could be whitened with hydrogen peroxide now.
Sometimes (on bigger animlas like this) ill also soak them in pure acetone for some days, just to make sure there is no grease left.

If the bones were boiled before, they could be already damaged a bit, so you would need to be careful
Thx for sharing your method! Fantastic ‘out of the gate’ details & starting point! I’m hoping to pile up afew European Boar this Fall & I intend bounce this idea off my group & see what we (I) can do, or, maybe what we (I) can screw up!? :LOL: Either way - it will be a Fun Project!

Side Note: Splitting Image Taxidermy out of P.E., S Africa is an innovative, forward thinking great team & they‘re working five/5 trophies from my 2021 Hunt. They have a segment in their online catalog about reconstructive skeleton trophies - pretty cool, one that caught my immediate eye - Giraffe skull & neck.

It’s a trophy I desire to hunt but “what‘s next” when the trophy is in the salt!? I‘ve seen neck mounts: not a fan. Full shoulder/neck floor pedestal mounts: cool & BIG! Carved leg bones & table runners & all cool. But Splitting Images does a skull/skeleton neck mount still has size but appears manageable & super cool Looking!

I’m excited to track your progress & finished product! BTW, nice size Sow Skull & Tusks!

0B517C49-0147-4F44-9AFC-57FBBCA2D349.jpeg

Last edited:
@Tim1990 … Roe & Boar, are you in Europe?

This is a first for me! Very interesting! Thank you for sharing!

Well, now i must have one... What did you have to do to get them to clean the bones and not lose any? If dont mind me asking, what did the Taxi charge you to clean all the bones and keep track of them? I think a muntjac or some of the Tiny 10 would be awesome.

I may be looking at it wrong, but are using something between the joints/spine? What is that? Seems you are well versed in this and i would potentially be a first timer doing this so i'm curious if biting off more then i should already lol

Last edited:
you won't be able to tell how many warts (2 or 4) with this setup. very nice!

I must start my proper research & reading on Wild Boar Anatomy …

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErrolKish0

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.